Fraxel Re:pair for Scarring - La Jolla, CA

I had a fraxel repair session done for acne...

I had a fraxel repair session done for acne sacrring on my cheeks (went ahead and did my upper lip and chin to help it blend better once it's all healed).

Day One: Thursday 01/24 at 4:30p.m. Went in with no makeup they put numbing cream on my face for about an hour gave me valium and a shot of something else to relax. They followed with idocain ( I think) shots into my face to numb the areas. Because I had the laser right below my eyelids they had to put in metal contacts to protect my eyes, not uncomfortable at all but it did feel strange to not be able to see anything at all.

Pain on a scale of 1-10 was a 3 overall. There were tiny areas that I could feel more than others( right by my ears) but then some areas I really didn't feel at all ( my upper lip area). My doctor and his staff were amazing! One time near my ear I must have flinched or something so they stopped and injected more lidocain so that I couldn't feel the laser. My doctor did say that I had a fair amount of bleeding ( I do tend to bleed easily). Post pocedure NO PAIN at all of any kind. Very mild bleeding continued for a few hours after and I started with vinegar soaks as they instructed followed by aquaphor.

Day 2: still no pain what so ever. A LOT of swelling made it a lttle tough to eat things I had to open my mouth very widely for ( so maybe plan accordingly. I loaded up on tons of healthy foods and orange juice etc to help promote healing

Day 3: A LOT OF SWELLING, when I do the vinegar soaks I am using ice pack gently layed over the soaked gauze and that's helping. DRINKING A LOT OF WATER to help reduce swelling and promote healing.

Day 4: slept elevated last night and it made A BIG DIFFERENCE much less swelling but still swollen. Some of the dried blood is starting to come off on it's own. My doctor told me not to rub or wipe or anything like that.

The main reason I wanted to post on this site was to be able to show progressive pictures because that's what i wanted to see when I was researching so i will upload my photos now. Unfortunately I was a bit out of it immediately after the procedure so the first photo I took was about 5 hours post procedure. I will do my best to update as I go

do you still have the redness?

Congrats on the results. I had the same procedure done by the same doctor four years ago. Over the years the results I had continue to decrease since my procedure but overall I am still happy with the outcome and glad I did it. Maybe 25% improvement as of today? Basically the area I had lasered resulted in tighter skin by creating very small holes in my skin. If you look really closely (2-3 inches inches from the mirror) you will see small holes in the area I had lasered. It's nothing to be concerned about as it's not noticable by others although I probably would not repeat the procedure due to the concern the small holes getting larger.

Hello! So over time the results will change? Are they drastically different over four years? Will it be worth te money? Thanks and congrats!

6 Month Review ( Almost 6 Months)

It has been almost 6 months since my fraxel Re:pair treatment and I am still very happy with the results. I can't say it's a 100% improvement and I no longer have scarring but honestly I would say at least 60% better, maybe more. My scarring is far less noticeable, especially with makeup on. The products I use are very simple now, I use cetaphil gentle skin cleanser with a clarisonic face washing brush, at night I use Retin A. I have always used Retin A but Dr. Groff also said that this would help improve/maintain my results over time as well. During the day I just use cetaphil moisturizer with SPF 55. I am very pleased, my face is still slightly pinkish in some spots but honestly I don't really care about that part, it's the scars that really bothered me and the occasional pinkish tone is easily covered with makeup. I HIGHLY recommend this procedure, and Dr. Groff for the fraxel Re:pair

Another great perk I have noticed is that for some reason I hardly ever break out since having this procedure done. That in itself has been worth it for me.

I was wondering if your skin felt smooth 2 weeks after the procedure- I'm 2 weeks out and my skin feels a little rough and when I look closely in certain light I can see tons of tiny holes- I guess it's enlarged pores but they are all over especially concentrated on my cheeks and jawline where you don't usually see pores... I'm really worried and was just wondering if this is because I'm still not totally healed yet. Did you experience this? Another thing is my skin never peeled.
It's going to take a few months to heal ... So don't stress.. It's a process... You're skin will be back to normal after time
Thank you for the reassurance. Did you have fraxel repair done?
San Diego Dermatologist

I had a Fraxel re:store session with Dr. Groff (who was referred to me by my doctor) in July 2012 and was thrilled with the results but I was eager to see more improvement faster so he suggested Fraxel Re:pair. I cannot say enough about how great Dr. Groff (and my results are). I have read so many reviews on here about below average results etc. and I think the largest factor is the Dr. you choose. I couldn't be happier with my choice of Dr. I would highly recommend him!