Fraxel Re:pair for Scarring - La Jolla, CA

I had a fraxel repair session done for acne...

I had a fraxel repair session done for acne sacrring on my cheeks (went ahead and did my upper lip and chin to help it blend better once it's all healed).

Day One: Thursday 01/24 at 4:30p.m. Went in with no makeup they put numbing cream on my face for about an hour gave me valium and a shot of something else to relax. They followed with idocain ( I think) shots into my face to numb the areas. Because I had the laser right below my eyelids they had to put in metal contacts to protect my eyes, not uncomfortable at all but it did feel strange to not be able to see anything at all.

Pain on a scale of 1-10 was a 3 overall. There were tiny areas that I could feel more than others( right by my ears) but then some areas I really didn't feel at all ( my upper lip area). My doctor and his staff were amazing! One time near my ear I must have flinched or something so they stopped and injected more lidocain so that I couldn't feel the laser. My doctor did say that I had a fair amount of bleeding ( I do tend to bleed easily). Post pocedure NO PAIN at all of any kind. Very mild bleeding continued for a few hours after and I started with vinegar soaks as they instructed followed by aquaphor.

Day 2: still no pain what so ever. A LOT of swelling made it a lttle tough to eat things I had to open my mouth very widely for ( so maybe plan accordingly. I loaded up on tons of healthy foods and orange juice etc to help promote healing

Day 3: A LOT OF SWELLING, when I do the vinegar soaks I am using ice pack gently layed over the soaked gauze and that's helping. DRINKING A LOT OF WATER to help reduce swelling and promote healing.

Day 4: slept elevated last night and it made A BIG DIFFERENCE much less swelling but still swollen. Some of the dried blood is starting to come off on it's own. My doctor told me not to rub or wipe or anything like that.

The main reason I wanted to post on this site was to be able to show progressive pictures because that's what i wanted to see when I was researching so i will upload my photos now. Unfortunately I was a bit out of it immediately after the procedure so the first photo I took was about 5 hours post procedure. I will do my best to update as I go

6 Month Review ( Almost 6 Months)

It has been almost 6 months since my fraxel Re:pair treatment and I am still very happy with the results. I can't say it's a 100% improvement and I no longer have scarring but honestly I would say at least 60% better, maybe more. My scarring is far less noticeable, especially with makeup on. The products I use are very simple now, I use cetaphil gentle skin cleanser with a clarisonic face washing brush, at night I use Retin A. I have always used Retin A but Dr. Groff also said that this would help improve/maintain my results over time as well. During the day I just use cetaphil moisturizer with SPF 55. I am very pleased, my face is still slightly pinkish in some spots but honestly I don't really care about that part, it's the scars that really bothered me and the occasional pinkish tone is easily covered with makeup. I HIGHLY recommend this procedure, and Dr. Groff for the fraxel Re:pair

Another great perk I have noticed is that for some reason I hardly ever break out since having this procedure done. That in itself has been worth it for me.
William Groff

I had a Fraxel re:store session with Dr. Groff (who was referred to me by my doctor) in July 2012 and was thrilled with the results but I was eager to see more improvement faster so he suggested Fraxel Re:pair. I cannot say enough about how great Dr. Groff (and my results are). I have read so many reviews on here about below average results etc. and I think the largest factor is the Dr. you choose. I couldn't be happier with my choice of Dr. I would highly recommend him!

I was wondering if your skin felt smooth 2 weeks after the procedure- I'm 2 weeks out and my skin feels a little rough and when I look closely in certain light I can see tons of tiny holes- I guess it's enlarged pores but they are all over especially concentrated on my cheeks and jawline where you don't usually see pores... I'm really worried and was just wondering if this is because I'm still not totally healed yet. Did you experience this? Another thing is my skin never peeled.
It's going to take a few months to heal ... So don't stress.. It's a process... You're skin will be back to normal after time
Thank you for the reassurance. Did you have fraxel repair done?
Hi Natalierose33- yes, I definietly had exactky what you are saying it looks like tiny needle marks or something. if you think about it the laser is doing damage to make your skin kick into it's healing ability so yes, I had the same thing and it went away. To be honest I don't remember how long it took, but I remember it freaked me out at first as well. I didn't have peeling but I definitely lost a layer (or a few of skin) did you? If you didn't I would find it hard to believe that you had fraxel Re:pair. Did your skin look similiar to my first picture after your procedure?
Hi Lauren thank you so much for responding that makes me feel so much better! Yes I looked exactly like your first picture, I posted pictures- I think you can see them if you go to my profile. My Doctor is supposed to be one of the best but he didn't fully prepare me for this. One of the nurses told me my skin would look beautiful (although pink) after 5 days! If it weren't for your post/pictures and some others I would have been really freaked out. My skin never peeled but I definitely must have lost some layers because it's still pretty pink 2 weeks later and it was super itchy and irritated up until a few days ago. Starting to get better but the needle marks (good way of describing) had me worried. I can't thank you enough for posting your experience, it really has helped me through mine.
I'm so glad you found it helpful. Yes, that's very normal. I was red/pink for months after but then it totally went back to normal. I would still stay 60% improvement and plan to do another re:pair treatment sometime in the next year or so because I was so pleased with my first treatment. Once your skin heals ( a few months down the road) I would highly reccommend the product Perricone MD formula 15. It is made to raise wrinkles but it raises my indented scars perfectly and you can see it working immediately. As in, you put it on, 20 minutes later your sunken in scars aren't sunken in anymore. I have used it for years for that reason. I would say to go to your local Nordstrom and get a sample of it, try it for yourself but it makes a world of difference immediately for me ( I would wait a few months to try it though because your skin is still super raw right now). Good luck, let me know if you have any other questions!
Great tip! I will for sure be trying that. Even if I love my results with repair I'm not sure id be able to do it again for some time but maybe fraxel restore, do you think it would be worth it to do a few fraxel restores in a year or so? Also, how long after repair did you start retin A?
Right now it probably seems crazy to think of doing another re:pair but if your resuts are like mine (60% better) it will probably be very reasonable to consider doing it again. I think I waited 2 months or so. I would ask your doctor though just to be sure. I don't rmemeber exactly. Hope your seeing improvement everyday! feel free to let me know if you have questions! P.S. I did continue using aquaphor on my face every night for 3-4 months and that seemed to help, for me at least
P.s. I just looked at your photos for the first time and your skin looks gorgeous!!!!
Thank you Lauren- it doesn't really look that great in person. I'm not seeing that much improvement, the deeper scars are a little shallower but other than that no change. I'm still pretty pink, and uneven blotchy red, and my skin texture is still rough looking up close. I'm so afraid that won't go away. I'm hoping I will slowly start to see improvement over time. Trying to stay positive! I can't wait to try that perricon md! Thanks again for everything!
I'm sure it will turn out well. Let me know if you have any other questions
I am getting this treatment next month. I have a similar treatment history to you in that I been through a series of re:store and would say my scars improved by about 10% maybe even. Congratulations on your results as 60% is quite impressive. My level of scarring is similar to yours I think. Do you have any before photos? Do you know the settings that were used? Thank you for posting your progress you look beautiful. Yes Retin A a good product that I use too. Seems like we may have a similar attitude to skin care. As an aside, I have also had treatments while looking for acne scar solutions of Restalyn Vital Light. This is not a filler as such and did not do much for my scars but is more of a dermal moisturiser and I would recommend this acne scars or not just too give your skin a dewy boost.
Do you have a pic of before the treatment? Just want a sense of where you started from versus now.
By the way, is there a line of demarcation still? He didn't feather it.
Nope, no line anymore at all. Retn A causes the skin to renew itself more quickly basically. It causes the skin to turn over more quickly. For me it helps to get rid of sun spot and uneven pigmentation. Plus, it prevents wrinkles.
Oh, that's neat. Okay. Thanks!
It burns the oil glands, so that's why you have fewer breakouts. Also: I don't want the pinkishness. Maybe a different procedure is for me.
Keep in mind I also use Retin A nightly which is notorious for making your skin red. That is likely the cause at this point, not the fraxel re:pair
Oh. I have heard the Retin A is actually not so good for you.
I love it, and every dermatologist I have ever spoken to sings it's praises. Along with 20 years of research to back it up. Retin A is amazing in my opinion. Hope you find a procedure that works well for you.
What does it do 4 u?
Lauren 2080 - I wouldn't even respond anymore... I'm sure everyone agrees they are happy you've had a good outcome! Thanks for sharing your story and God bless :)
do you still have the redness?

Congrats on the results. I had the same procedure done by the same doctor four years ago. Over the years the results I had continue to decrease since my procedure but overall I am still happy with the outcome and glad I did it. Maybe 25% improvement as of today? Basically the area I had lasered resulted in tighter skin by creating very small holes in my skin. If you look really closely (2-3 inches inches from the mirror) you will see small holes in the area I had lasered. It's nothing to be concerned about as it's not noticable by others although I probably would not repeat the procedure due to the concern the small holes getting larger.

Hello! So over time the results will change? Are they drastically different over four years? Will it be worth te money? Thanks and congrats!