Mentor Saline to Memory Gel - Knoxville, TN

I was so disappinted! Spontaneous deflation of 4...

I was so disappinted! Spontaneous deflation of 4 year old saline implant, over the muscle, 190ccs. Upgrading to Memory Gel, 275ccs.

This post is long. Topics covered include: breast...

This post is long. Topics covered include: breast revision, rationale for choice of type and size of implants, general anesthesia, surgery center, day 1 recovery and Mentor policy.

My procedure is done! Thank you to all of who reviewed and posted on RealSelf as the information was great. Unlike most people on RealSelf, this is not my first breast surgery and my revision is not do to cancer (thankfully), other health issues or a poor aesthetic result (like capsular contracture). I was quite happy with the outcome of my saline implants I got 4 years ago, 175ccs filled to 190ccs. However, just after the first of the year, the right implant spontaneously deflated. What a bummer! I read on RealSelf that this occurs only 1-2% of the time over several years. Being new to Knoxville, I began a search for the best PS in town and decided that it is Dr. Reath who is one of the physicians contributing on this site. Check out his work on this site or his web site, as he gives patients a very natural look which is important to me.

RATIONAL ON TYPE: During my consultation, Dr. Reath and I discussed my options which included leave the implant as is, replace it with saline, or replace both with saline or silicone. We decided to go with silicone 275ccs and use my existing over the muscle pockets (though he did have to modify them a bit today), same incision point (crease). Though I don’t have a lot of breast tissue, because I am pretty active I didn’t want under the muscle the first time or this time because of the longer recovery period or any interference with my pecs. And a bit bigger was what I wanted the first time, but my other Dr. said he tried but my skin was too tight (it has since stretched!). I made the saline choice the first time because I thought I could just do the surgery once and be done with it, but that was not the case. So after fully understanding the pros and cons from Dr. Reath and his staff as well as the Girlfriend’s Guide on the web site (you must read it!), as well as other research, I made the choice of Mentor MemoryGel.

ANESTESIA: The main concern I had was the general anesthesia and intubation because I had never experienced it before and there are risks. The first time around, I had conscious sedation and breathed on my own. Today, we ended up doing general with an LMA instead of intubation which the anesthesiologist said was easier on him and me. Now that I’m home and looked up LMA, there are pros and cons to all three: breathing on one’s own, intubation and LMA. However, it all turned out well. When I awoke in the recovery room, I felt alert, my vitals were strong and had no throat soreness. The first time with conscious sedation, I had no recollection of the recovery room, barely remember the rest of the day and kept asking my husband the same questions over and over. While that time I was extremely groggy, this time I was chatty, had lunch, then took a nap because I should, not because I was out of it. Very good experience!

SURGERY CENTER: The surgery center Dr. Reath uses is very impressive. It is modern and clean and the staff is very professional. When I went into the OR, there were about 8 people in the room doing specialized tasks. And the recovery room nurse that was assigned to me was awesome, attentive and informative.

DAY 1 RECOVERY: I have minimal pain that I am managing through a half dose of Vicodin but expect I won’t need it tomorrow. No swelling evident and I haven’t checked for bruising. But again, this is the second time around, so it is probably a bit easier on my body than the first.

MENTOR POLICY: What I am not happy about it Mentor’s policy. They covered the cost of replacement saline implants which was used against the higher cost of silicone. However, they have an upgrade program, upgrade from saline to MemoryGel to get a $250 Amex gift card. They advised me that I do not qualify for the program because they were already supplying funds to replace saline. It is not the dollar value of not getting the gift card that bothers me, it is the principle. I *had* to get my implants replaced due to their failed product and chose to upgrade to not risk the same issue. I don’t have a lack of confidence in their product in general, I am just bothered by their position on my situation.

Dr. Reath just called to check on me, what a great guy. I will post a separate update later on him and his wonderful staff.

Oh giant companies and their fine print... :(

I am glad you're feeling well enough to be writing today! Hope your recovery is quick and easy. I've heard revisions are much better recovery because your breast and muscles are already used to the implant being there. And since you are over the muscle it sounds like is a little easier too than going under? Keep us updated!

I'm sorry your saline implant ruptured. You're going silicone and a little bigger this time! Welcome to RealSelf and please let us know how you're feeling.

Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Overall, a great experience so far. I didn't spend a signficant amount of time with Dr. Reath, but I don't feel like I needed it since it was my second procedure. His staff is amazing and quickly addressed any questions. Check out his work, it is lovely and very natural looking.