Retin-A Day 16

Ok, I am on 0.1% retin-a every night, I have used...

Ok, I am on 0.1% retin-a every night, I have used retin-a before so I had this left over. I tried the 0.025 before too and it really is not as effective as the 0.1%, trust me. Anyhow, I took like a year break from retin-a and holy cow my skin looked like crap without it. Trust me all women need retin-a, nightly. I am on day 16 at this time and I am reminded of the peeling, redness and tenderness that comes along with the initial adjustment. Want to offer some advice that helps get you through this. Also I am an LPN and current RN student, I read my pharmacology book to learn the most I could on retin-a and I researched ways to soothe during treatment. So based on my experience and small amount of knowledge on skin and retin-a here it goes...and I think this applies for usage on acne or anti-aging. Ok..first week I got mild stinging, then after week one and maybe even during week one I got peeling especially around my lower mouth and def. on my chin, still peeling and probably will for one month or two according to my books. I tried various products and should have known better not to use ones that had fragrance and color etc in them, do not do that! Stingy, red, inflamed, owy!

What I found works and makes all skin types look great is..in morning wash face with baby wash and a facial scrubby LIGHTLY but thoroughly, pat dry and then apply Neutrogena Age Shield Face Sunblock 110spf mix 3 drops of glycerin into sunblock lightly pat on face and neck, use vaseline on areas that are raw or stinging (put vaseline on stinging areas before the sunblock). At night gently wash face with cool water only, pat dry then put 3-4 drops of glycerin into a dab of your retin-a and blend it into your face and neck, trust me avoid it touching your lips it will affect your mucous membranes in lips and cause cracking on the sides of your mouth, bad look! Most important thing is the vaseline when you feel dry or raw-derms use it post laser surgery, vaseline actually has not only protective and moisturizing benefits but it has been proven to heal wounds faster too, look it up. When too raw or red then take a retin-a break for 1-2 days only on raw areas but keep applying vaseline on the raw areas for benefits stated above. You may need to carry oil-free lotion and glycerin around for awhile until your face gets use to it, but it's SO WORTH IT. I would not use Cetaphil and the other products recommended by a lot of users as Cetaphil has oil in it and can clog those pores of yours that you are trying to shrink, glycerin is a better choice and is in all oil-free moisturizers and Neutrogena is your best bet. Glycerin attracts water to your skin thus keeping it moist, whereas oil is a lipid (fat) and blocks water from leaving your skin all while blocking those pores from purging toxins and it keeps them open, yuck. Soon your face will be clear, smooth and plump if you are patient! Gosh I cannot believe I quit using it, I just thought I had that great look naturally, guess not! Don't give up, bad idea..trust meeee :) Also, you will get crazy zits even if not prone to acne, it is the under layers of skin getting pushed up and out as retin-a reaches deep into the dermal layers and accelerating skin cell turnover. Look at it as purging of sorts, the retin-a did not cause it it just caused it to happen sooner and is getting it all out at once.

EFH1956, thank you! I now know why the sides of chin are dry and peeling :). Please check your facts on the ingredients of Cetaphil and re-post. Cetaphil cleanser is primarily recommended by dermatologist for daily cleansing, but especially if clients are prescribed Retin A. Cetaphil is gently enough to unclog pores and will not counteract the Retin A. :).

EFH1956, are you still using Retin-a? Still going well??

Hi that's a very helpful article I stoped my birth control pill so my face is getting oily again after 4 years of a good skin I'm tryified to get acne again so I thought of retina A and I used it with vasline it went very well my question do you have any idea how can I lighten my dark lips as well ?? Thank you :)
Hi Soha, well if you consider that our lips have color from our blood supply in them the only thing you can do is increase blood flow. I know you think this may further darken them, but when our lips aren't getting enough blood they turn a dark bluish color..it is deoxygenated blood (blood without iron attached to the heme molecule, iron is red). So since red is lighter than blue you need more blood to them. Heat increases blood flow and there are glosses that have a tingler of sorts that stimulates blood flow to increase the lip size, which would change color too. Other than that I cannot think of any other way because our lips get their color from inside. I wanted to add to this thread that I found a miracle moisturizer, it is from Vaseline but is a cream. It is Vaseline deep moisture creamy formula w/vitamin E. I use it morning (then apply sunblock) and at night after my retin a. It has TOTALLY decreased my pore size on my nose by plumping them up, I mean the most dramatic from any other thing I've ever used. And, I had to decrease retin a strength to .5% as the 1% was too much. I just started 1% a few days ago and already I am peeling like crazy..I might alternate strengths. Either way the Vaseline creamy formula keeps the flaking GONE. I want to stock up, just in case!
p.s I started getting compliments after I started Vaseline creamy formula w/vitamin e (has to say w/vitamin e or it is the wrong creamy formula, there are two). It plumps skin like NO OTHER. I have a super close up mirror that shows my nose pores close up and no more holes, just slits that are closing together as one skin now, like a normal human being! Gosh I started to think I was stuck w/large pores after reading so many articles saying you either have large pores or you don't. That may be true, but I'd like to add that you DON'T have to have them if you do. Plump em up, not with grease but with true moisture. Also, it's fragrance free and color free. Just thought I'd share! :)
thanks a lot
Day 35 and skin is still flaking but is not peeling like it initially was. I am no longer raw, but skin is still sensitive. Since the skin peeling has calmed down significantly I switched to Cerave PM lotion for my evening moisturizer, I apply this after the Retin-a, I will let you know how it works, lots of raves about it from other retin-a users. My pores are really big lately, not sure if it is because it is hot as hay here lately, but it's not cute. Hoping the retin-a fixes that. I haven't worn any face foundation, other than a touch of powder on my nose to take away shine. Maybe that is why my pores are so noticeable because I quit spackling them with foundation since starting retin-a. Tomorrow I will put on foundation over them and compare them to how they were before retin-a. My skin tone is so nice though, I really don't need foundation for that- and normally my skin tone is wacked with freckles on nose and random blotchiness. Hoping month two brings about firmer skin to tighten these pores. I forget how long it took last time I started retin-a, so this is nice documenting it :)

Day 18, skin has more even tone, peeling has significantly decreased with use of sensitive skin products. Pimples I never had before are still there but only one is painful, others are evening out. Skin under my eyes looks much lighter and brighter. Didn't even know it affected dark circles under eyes, just got this problem this year. I am 34. Salicylic acid wash on my nose used this morning really helped tighten nose pores, holy cow.

Sounds like great changes overall!! :)

I know, I thought Vaseline would break anyone out no matter what the skin type, but I looked it up extensively and it is classified as non-comedogenic, I imagine you just keep the layer thin. But I swear no breakouts here, you really should try it. Tyra banks uses it as her "beauty secret" and Dr.Oz swears that glycerin is all a girl needs and works better than pricey creams. I only use the Vaseline on my raw retin-a chin and under eyes at night, but no problems..try it, try it!! :) As far as Cetaphil..the one I have has oil and so many other ingredients that just are not needed by the skin, mine says for all skin types. I use it on my body though :) It burnt the crap out of my retin-a face.

Sorry to hear the Cetaphil burnt your skin. :( I used the "all skin types" when I was on retin-a since it was far more moisturizing than other washes I have used. Amazing how differently people react to the same product combination, isn't it?! If I get really brave I might try vaseline as an eye moisturize...but I'm freaked out at the thought of it!

This is a great review! I think you and I must have about as opposite of skin as two people can get though. I'm assuming you are not an acne prone person? I could never use vaseline on my skin, I would break out so bad it wouldn't even be funny...ok, not that I ever find my breakouts funny, but you know what I mean. ;)

As for the Cetaphil, I was so surprised when I read a few months back that it had oil in the one for oily skin, but not in the one for all skin types. Anyways, I've used it on and off, mostly on, for several years and have always found it works well for me. One theory I have heard is that people with oily skin benefit from a cleanser with some oil, as the oil in the cleanser will help to remove the oil from the skin. Regardless, I think its just a matter of us all finding what works for our particular skin. So glad Retin-A is helping with yours!!