My Breast Reduction Experience with Kaiser Permanente - Irvine, CA

Overall extremely satisfied. I am fairly new to...

Overall extremely satisfied. I am fairly new to Kaiser, within a year and a half as a member, and although I was advised it was a lengthy process to qualify, I went for the breast reduction class (required before consult with plastic surgeon) and was scheduled for mid July. When I had called to see about changing a post op appointment I was offered a sooner surgery date. I took it as it fit my family's schedule. I had 3 meetings with my surgeon and I loved how thorough he was, explaining all the advantages and disadvantages, risks, etc. Surgery date came and staff was great put me at ease and surgery was much quicker than anticipated 2 1/2 hours instead of 3 1/2. Surgeon explained the procedure in detail to my family as I wasn't coherent due to the anesthesia. The entire day was a blur really but my drains were emptied twice and twice today (day 2) I had them removed by his nurse today. All in all I feel great and walked around quite a bit, now realizing by my body's notification that its time to take it easy. Pain I would say is 5 out of 10, so bearable. I am very please with the size and the fact I have nipple sensation already.

3 days post

Not much pain, most of what I was uncomfortable with were the drains & they were gone in24 hours post op. The itching/burning is pretty intense & stamina of coarse isnt up to normal, cant walk for more than 30minutes without getting tired so I rest after I'm up for a while and nap mid day. I still only have nipple sensation in my right breast so Im concerned but more concerning is the yellowish discharge from the left nipple, its small amounts but I called my PS office and the nurse said its normal. I definetly dont want to be at risk,for infection so I'll have to keep a close eye. Next,post,op visit is in4 days

2.5 months post op - now (9 momths)

Was a great day when nipple sensation returned to my left nipple 2.5 months after surgery and wouldnt you know it, its more sensitive then before surgery. I've lost 15lbs (am still 25 over weigh) and so happy with me smaller, perkier and youthful breasts. Exercising has been easier, I can fit into sports bras much better and am surprised that Victoria's secret still measures me as a 36DD. My life has change for the better, no more neck and shoulder pain from bras is the BEST!
Iyers

He was amazing, professional and courteous. His bedside manner was the best I've encountered.

Hi, I am definitely considering a breast reduction although I have yet to set anything up with kaiser to get things moving. May I ask if kaiser covered all the costs for your breast reduction or did you pay a lot out of pocket? Thanks!
I paid my regular co pay for visits with the PS and outpatient co pay. Since it wasn't an inpatient procedure I saved a lot. But everyone's plans and copays are different.
I am a 36 F any advice on how to go about getting the surgery. I am finally switching to Kaiser after fighting with UHC for 3 years. I need help!!
You need to make sure your PCP puts in the referral ASAP, schedule the class quickly too. The next step is to arrange a consult with a plastic surgeon of your choosing. After that its a waiting game. They tell you 6 months to a year from the point at which you met with the PS (they obviously give precedence to breast cancer patients, for their reconstructions). But like I said be ready to go at a moments notice because the surgery dept may call you out of the blue to offer you an open OR
How long did it take you ... What plan did you have ? Can you give me a doctor or someone you may think is good? I really appreciate the help. You look awesome by the way
I went for the breast reduction meeting November of 2012. Took about 2 months until I met with the surgeon then was advised to expect the surgery sometime in late summer, late August (so anticipated 9 months) but like I said they had a cancellation June 3rd but since I had to give my job a 2 week courtesy notice they called me again June 8th for an 11th operation. They offer 3 surgeons 2 male and 1 female, Matteson-Gates is the female andine was Rajov Iyer. Can't recalled the third male but know it was an American name. I've heard all are wonderful. But you have the option of meeting with all 3 individually to decide for yourself.
Can u inbox me what plan u had with Keiser
I just had a br through kaiser in irvine 6 weeks ago. Let me know if you have any questions. I also reviewed my ps on my page
Has anyone brought their husband to the BR class at Kaiser? My class is this morning (yay) and my hubby wants to go.
Yea some people did have their husbands, the one on one consult is way more important (I brought mine to that one) because its not so generalized, it focuses more on your specific questions
I also am in irvine and have kaiser. I really want to have a breast reduction, what are the first steps to take? Who do I call/ make an appointment with?
See my response to Lovelygurl61
Congrats! I'm curious how your healing process is going. I also have Kaiser in SoCal. My consult with the PS is tomorrow and I could go in for sx as early as next week but we have travel plans in July and they conflict with the recovery time frame so I'll more than likely schedule for mid August. Did you consult with multiple Kaiser surgeons or just one?
Today was a fun day though, got to try on tops and for the first time since I was 11 y/o I don't have to wear a bra for strapless tops or dresses :) As for my PS selection, the way OC works they made me attend a class and in that class, besides all the BR details they introduced the PS, in which I had 3 to choose from. Honestly I choose my PS because I saw his work first hand on one of his pasts patients (I also work for KP as a nurse). I liked that he explained all the risks thoroughly and I just had an over all sense of comfort with him. Also he basically promised to give me 110% of his efforts and I've never had a doc tell me that.
The healing process was difficult, the first 9 days were tough. A lot of drainage even now, 13 days later which people don't mention. There's a lot of tingling, burning, and soreness, not so much constant pain as I had imagined. The healing process itself for me was more difficult around the nipple and areola. The 24 hour removal of drains as done in KP doss leave large indentations around the end of the scars near the armpits, I hope those don't scar because they're a bit large. All in all my breasts look good, just like I mentioned my nipple had a small open wind but has now closed, still no sensation on that left side. I was explained the risk of losing sensation so I know its possible but I still have hope. My right is actually more sensitive now. That's about it hope it helps, feel free to ask anything else. Good luck!
I just met with my future ps. He was very thorough. He did say that he does a pretty high lift with his reductions since they tend to always drop. He said it may seem weird at first but he'd rather they drop into a more natural position than have them drop too low. I'll more than likely be a full C/small D when he is finished. Surgery is scheduled for August 14th which is my husbands birthday. Not ideal but otherwise I'd have to wait until September which seems too far away. I would go in tomorrow if I could.
Congrats to you! I wouldn't worry too much about the drainage unless it starts to develop an odor. I'm a little over two weeks post op and still have avery small amout of drainage from one spot, so its not all that uncommon. Best of luck to you on your healing!