My Breast Reduction Experience with Kaiser Permanente - Irvine, CA

Overall extremely satisfied. I am fairly new to...

Overall extremely satisfied. I am fairly new to Kaiser, within a year and a half as a member, and although I was advised it was a lengthy process to qualify, I went for the breast reduction class (required before consult with plastic surgeon) and was scheduled for mid July. When I had called to see about changing a post op appointment I was offered a sooner surgery date. I took it as it fit my family's schedule. I had 3 meetings with my surgeon and I loved how thorough he was, explaining all the advantages and disadvantages, risks, etc. Surgery date came and staff was great put me at ease and surgery was much quicker than anticipated 2 1/2 hours instead of 3 1/2. Surgeon explained the procedure in detail to my family as I wasn't coherent due to the anesthesia. The entire day was a blur really but my drains were emptied twice and twice today (day 2) I had them removed by his nurse today. All in all I feel great and walked around quite a bit, now realizing by my body's notification that its time to take it easy. Pain I would say is 5 out of 10, so bearable. I am very please with the size and the fact I have nipple sensation already.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

3 days post

Not much pain, most of what I was uncomfortable with were the drains & they were gone in24 hours post op. The itching/burning is pretty intense & stamina of coarse isnt up to normal, cant walk for more than 30minutes without getting tired so I rest after I'm up for a while and nap mid day. I still only have nipple sensation in my right breast so Im concerned but more concerning is the yellowish discharge from the left nipple, its small amounts but I called my PS office and the nurse said its normal. I definetly dont want to be at risk,for infection so I'll have to keep a close eye. Next,post,op visit is in4 days

I am a 36 F any advice on how to go about getting the surgery. I am finally switching to Kaiser after fighting with UHC for 3 years. I need help!!
You need to make sure your PCP puts in the referral ASAP, schedule the class quickly too. The next step is to arrange a consult with a plastic surgeon of your choosing. After that its a waiting game. They tell you 6 months to a year from the point at which you met with the PS (they obviously give precedence to breast cancer patients, for their reconstructions). But like I said be ready to go at a moments notice because the surgery dept may call you out of the blue to offer you an open OR
Has anyone brought their husband to the BR class at Kaiser? My class is this morning (yay) and my hubby wants to go.

2.5 months post op - now (9 momths)

Was a great day when nipple sensation returned to my left nipple 2.5 months after surgery and wouldnt you know it, its more sensitive then before surgery. I've lost 15lbs (am still 25 over weigh) and so happy with me smaller, perkier and youthful breasts. Exercising has been easier, I can fit into sports bras much better and am surprised that Victoria's secret still measures me as a 36DD. My life has change for the better, no more neck and shoulder pain from bras is the BEST!

I have a question mags303 i just got referred from my doctor now i have a scheduled breast reduction class in a week. Can you please tell me what happens in the class? I'm just curious thank you.
I have a question mags303 i just got a referral from my doctor now i have to take a class in a week. Can you please tell me what goes on in the class? just curious thank you.
I just lost 65 lbs and my breast went from a 44DDD to a 38D. I'm considering a reduction since I have a lot of loose skin tissue now. With a reduction will that shape my breast ? Does require implants? Approximately how much besides co pay $$ would I be looking at? I've been a Kaiser member for 25 years.
Iyers

He was amazing, professional and courteous. His bedside manner was the best I've encountered.