Septoplasty with Rhinoplasty

Not sure of actual price, including insurance...

Not sure of actual price, including insurance coverage, but I only had to pay €380, and the review won't let me only enter that much!

I have an extremely deviated septum, which is not apparent from the outside, really, but I have no breathing what so ever in my left nostril. I have had really bad migraines and sinusitis for the last 5 or so years, and the doctor believes that this will correct my sinusitis issues, and hopefully also alleviate some of my migraines.

Insurance is covering almost all of my procedure, except for the admission price for my stay in a private hospital. I was planning on only going for a functional septoplasty, but the surgeon informed me that as it was covered by insurance for necessary reasons, I could also get some cosmetic rhinoplasty performed as well, at no cost to myself. I'll upload photos later, but as it stands, I am considering going through with both options. My surgery is tomorrow, and at my consultation I asked the surgeon what he would do for my nose, cosmetically, and he noted that I have a psuedo dorsal hump, meaning that I don't actually have a hump on my bridge, but the loss of cartilage just above the tip, due to an accident, has made it appear as if my nose has a bump. He said he would use some of the cartilage removed from the deviation to correct that, as well as shave down the bump. Furthermore, he said he would put in a small stitch into the tip, to refine my tip slightly.

At this point, having realised that I have the option for a free rhinoplasty, I am also considering asking for a slight deprojection of my tip. What does everyone think? I'd love some honest opinions!

I also just found out that I have to stay overnight after my procedure, and as such, has anyone any recommendations for stuff I should be packing in my bag? Other than pjs, slippers, etc?

On a side note, my doctor's secretary is the rudest person I have ever met in my life. She is downright unfriendly in person and ignorant on the phone. If I had the time to back out, and the ability to find a surgeon that my insurance covered that was also personally recommended by a friend of the family (who is also an ENT surgeon but not a rhinoplasty specialist), I would go elsewhere, just for the sake of her being a chronic asshole, to be honest. One phonecall with her recently left me in tears, and all I was asking was whether I needed to bring anything for the overnight stay.
Welcome! I hope you get a wonderful result and find the experience to be a positive one. It is disappointing that the secretary is so rude. My PS's was the opposite and that enhanced my whole experience. I hope you post some photos soon, and I look forward to watching your journey. All the best!

Thanks so much for starting your story! I hope you'll mention the rude admin to your doctor. Sometimes I think they don't realize what is going on or don't understand how much it can affect the patient's experience and the doctor's practice.

How are you feeling now? Did you go ahead with the rhinoplasty?

Looking forward to seeing your photos!

Day 3: Still Alive

So I'm feeling pretty lousy today. Very nauseous. I definitely tried to do too much yesterday when I got home. I cleaned the house, since I'd been gone for 2 days and our new puppy and old dog had ripped up anything paper they could find! The hospital kept me overnight, after the operation, which lasted just over 3 and a half hours. I had been told it would be 1 and a half at most, so that was a bit of a shock!

I managed to convince the nurses to let me sneak my phone into the room with me beforehand, and was able to show the doctor a few pictures of noses I do like, such as Sophia Bush's and even though that was rather nerve-wracking, since I was already dressed in my gown and had been lightly sedated by the extremely friendly anesthetist. I had told him about my anxiety disorder and panic attacks, and he reassured me he would take care of me, since there was a bit of a wait in the recovery room, as a trauma came in right before I was supposed to go in.

My doctor was extremely helpful and friendly, and listened to all of my concerns, before assuring me that he would correct my septum, first and foremost, as that was my primary concern. Then he said that he would do what he felt suited my face and made me look the same, just better.

When I woke up I was in a little bit of pain, but very high from the pain medicine. I was wheeled into my room, where I saw my brother and proceeded to make fun of his pants and then asked him to hop into my bed with me for a nap, since we were "best friends". When my family went home later, I managed to get on line and purchase 4 pairs of shoes, all under the influence. Damn Paypal.

The drive home went fairly well the following day, I slept for most of it, and it is only today, my third day, that my stomach is upset, but all in all not nearly as painful as I thought it would be. I've been making sure to sleep sitting up, using both a u-shaped pillow and one of those giant breast feeding pillows. My bleeding is at a minimum, with no need for a mustache gauze anymore, though there was a little bit of an issue yesterday, as I had a heart-to-heart with my mom and got quite teary, resulting in a runny nose that couldn't be blown and general pain and blood. Whoops.

I can't think of much else to comment on, other than the fact that I am DYING to go for a walk, and can't wait for the nausea to go away.
haha That is so funny about your brother! :) And the shoes! lol Well I hope you're doing well and everything comes out fantastic. Sorry the secretary was such a b---- that's gotta be annoying.
Aw thanks, I finally put up pics! My bruising isn't too bad, but my eyes did go a bit purple last night, at the end of Day 2! I'm going to have a read of your journey now too!
I went ahead with it, and never mentioned the secretary to the doctor, though I may do so at a later date, if her attitude doesn't improve! The doctor was so understanding that I don't particularly want to insult him in any way!

Oh how it itches!!!

I cut back on the painkillers, as of day 3, as I was experiencing constipation, TMI I know, and I din't want to put my body under too much stress. However, at this point, Day 5, I am having a good bit of pain and the urge to itch is UNBEARABLE!!! Any recommendations? I'm afraid to fall asleep in case I pull my cast off in my sleep!!!!
Yay you made it through!! Congrats and rest up. I hope that itch stops soon, but it won't be long until your cast is off for good. Well done!
I am getting it off today and I am CRAZY EXCITED, not to see the result but to scratch!!! :)
The shoes arrived today and they are terrible and not even in my size!!!

Cast off!!!

I am getting my cast off today and I am SO EXCITED! Even though it isn't so much for the finished product, as my surgeon says he didn't do too much cosmetically, but for the bloody itching to stop! I'm a bit afraid for the pain though so I'll take a difene halfway through my drive to his office. It is roughly an hour and a half commute to get there, so it should fully sink in without making me drowsy!
please UPDATE!
haha bummer! ;)

More or less done!

So I'll upload a bunch of pictures later, but I had pretty much forgotten about this review, to be honest, once everything turned out ok! The run up to the surgery was super nerve wracking and scary, but between my doctor being so practical and the recovery being pretty ok, after the first few days, I more or less forgot about the whole thing! My nose is still very hard at the tip, which is to be expected! I'm just over 3 months post off now, and very glad |I| had the procedure! My nose isn't even a second thought anymore, and I rarely get migraines. They've been reduced to about 20% of what they used to be. Which is the best thing ever. I'm so happy about that. The doctor is going to email me some pictures soon, of my before and after, and when I get those I'll put them up, but as it stands, my swelling is more or less gone and I would recommend him 100%. He didn't listen to my irrational pleading for a smaller nose, as he knew that it would look fake and not suit my face. He improved what I already had without changing it or altering the actual structure of my nose, so I shouldn't have to worry about anything going wrong later on in life.

If I could change one thing it would be to remove a little bit more of my septum on the right side of my nose. Because it was so badly deviated, he had to remove a lot on the left side, and not as much on the right side, so as to keep it even. Or something like that. I don't know, he explained it to me and it made sense, but my brain took a week's holiday to Boston and I'm only just starting to wake up again. It's all a little fuzzy.

My scar under my nose has healed AMAZINGLY well. It's practically invisible without makeup. No hypertrophic or keloid scars and that is a definite A+ in my book.

As far as the secretary goes, my contact with her has been minimal. I never booked my 6 week follow up appointment because I was too afraid to talk to her, but the office ended up contacting me, and with some attitude she booked me in. As difficult and unfriendly and off-putting as she was, I do not regret going with Doctor Harney, and found him to be friendly, helpful and he put the nose first, not my neurosis.
itchy nose ... if I could not scratch the actual area, I scratched another area close to it ... and got some relief ... LOL
Michael Harney

He seems quite practical, and nonsensical, though not overly friendly. He returned my phone call the following day, and was perfectly accommodating, but other than my consultation and that phone call, has had no contact with me, which I don't like. His secretary is the rudest person I have ever met in my life. She is downright unfriendly in person and ignorant on the phone. If I had the time to back out, and the ability to find a surgeon that my insurance covered that was also personally recommended by a friend of the family (who is also an ENT surgeon but not a rhinoplasty specialist), I would go elsewhere, just for the sake of her being a chronic asshole, to be honest. One phonecall with her recently left me in tears, and all I was asking was whether I needed to bring anything for the overnight stay. End Result: Very happy. Any initial misgivings regarding the surgery were satisfied by the doctor, and by the end result. He was very helpful and reassuring in the end, and quite understanding. He explained to me multiple times about the procedure and what he did and why. I found that very helpful.