1200cc Removed, Lower Abs/Muffin Top: 6 Days Post Op Experience - Indianapolis, IN

I workout 4-5 times a week. I had a few stubborn...

I workout 4-5 times a week. I had a few stubborn areas, namely, lower stomach pooch and muffin top. During my consult with my doctor, I asked him if these areas could be lipo'd or if it was (mainly on my stomach) visceral fat, which will only go away with diet and exercise. He examined me and assured me that it was subcutaneous.

Day 1
Pain is not that bad the first hours after surgery b/c of the drugs still in my system. After they wore off later that night, my pain went from a 1 to a 5 in a couple of minutes. Still, a 5 was less than what I was expecting. Getting up, laying down, getting comfortable was difficult. My drainage looked like blood. It was bright red. I had stitches on both sides, so no drainage there, but the front two incisions were left open. I only drained for the first day, after that it was light spotting. I went through an entire roll of paper towels (when I would stand it would just run down my legs, I was not pressing paper towels to my incisions) and soaked through my shorts. I was given general anesthesia. For anyone reading this who has not undergone surgery, research side effects for the type of anesthesia you are to undergo. I wish I would have asked more questions about this. I developed breathing complications and thought it was from the actual surgery when it was actually from the type of anesthesia I received. Took it very easy. Had about 3 liters of water and some crackers. I had no nausea but also, no appetite. I did not see my 1st day results b/c I followed the instructions not to remove my compression garment until my first post op visit 3 days later. Took it very easy. Slept.

Day 2
Could not get in a comfortable position to sleep. Woke up vey stiff. Still, no appetite. Could not tell what my results were through the garment. I walked around a lot more on this day. In fact, I was instructed to go on hour long walks and wanting to follow the instructions to the ltter I did so. when I returned home, it looked like all the residual fluid collected in my vagina area (gravity.) On day one, I was regular flesh color and no swelling in that area. I became very alarmed when on a trip to the bathroom I noticed extreme swelling, bruising and discoloration (dark purple.)
Sorry, but I wished someone would have told me to expect this, so there you go. Also, things to look up, edema/seroma, hematoma. Know the difference, the signs and ask your doctor how he treats these.

Day 3- 1st post op visit - first look
Mobility an dpain gets vetter with every day. I do think that moving around helped me later. Doctor saw me first and expressed his pleasure at the very little amount of swelling. As soon as I sat up I felt faint and had difficulty breathing. I had extreme shortness of breath. It had nothing to do with pain. My breath was shallow. When I was flat again, it was easier to breath. Also, when I was tightly wrapped in the compression garment, it was easier to breath. Through conversation, my dr said this was a side effect of the general anesthesia. At this time, my dr also expressed that I was not "that swollen." This was discouraging b/c from first glance, I cuold not tell a difference between my before and after. The dr. further suggested that I try an ultrsound. However, do to the state of my vagina, the first appearance of my body and breathing difficulties, I just wanted to go home.

Day 4-
Still walking an hour a day, very moble. Still not in a condition to go to work, but not in bad shape either. Finally, an apetite. Still, I was on a strict post-op diet. So it was nothing but salad. I began to monitor my results. I still looked no different that before. Good note- My bruises were fading.

Day 5- back at work - it was hard but not that bad
Going to the bathroom was hard. I purchased an additional compression garment which my dr approved of. No pain but a new sensation of pressure on the front of my abds. Received very sharp pains when I tried to lift anything too heavy.

Day 6- dr visit again
This is where I am now. He told me that I have very minimal swelling, that I can remove the CG and just put it on when I'm ready for bed. I am starting to feel the tissue harden under my skin. It is also VERY numb. I started to "massage" the are when I got home with a clean rolling pin. Area is not brusid at all but is still very hard. Now my concerns are triple. To add to the lack of result, my abs are now hard and numb.

I dont know if it was worht it yet. I was optimistic until my dr told me that I was not realy swollen and what I was seeing was very close to my final result and what I should expect. Also, my waist size has not changed, not one cm. I was told that 1200 cc was removed and considering I had small areas lipo'd, I should be able to see a difference. I know I should wait 6 weeks but my operating doctor's words have discouraged me. Any one else experience anything like this?

Yes I'm a week out and see no difference at all but I'm hopeful
Hey there. Just curious how you are now???? Just had the same procedure on Saturday.
Hi there, i had a similar procedure in june 2012, i too felt that i didnt see a difference, i was bruised down to my knees and up my back, my pubic area was 6 times its normal size, and purple..grosssss. i posted pics as i was so upset that after 3 months my results were lumpy and uneven, but another month on and with some lymphatic drainage massage(2) i am noticing quite a difference, the professor who did the procedure keeps saying that u dont get the full results for six months and that until then u shouldnt worry, i have to say that i now think he is right as it is only now that i am really seeing a difference. Even the hardness under my skin has started to soften and the swellin at the pubic area has calmed down,numbness has subsided also, try and be patient and keep massaging, as sometimes u can hav a little scar tissue or fibrosis which will soften and smooth out over a period of time....good luck.
Hi!! thanks for your review and updating us!! I am a bit worried because I am doing your same area plus inner & outer thighs and knees...
I'm using twilight sedation and local anesthesia though.

how is your recovery doing now? Do you feel better? Does ultrasound help? Did the doctor cover this?

xo
Thanks for posting....I had tumescent lipo on May 15th...1500cc removed from my flanks, mons pubic and bra roll....I felt great after....then on July 24th I had it again on my abs...3200cc removed this time...much different experience this time....it's been 3 weeks and I am so numb and my skin is so sensitive just running my finger along my skin hurts even thought it is numb...it's a very strange feeling.....and I'm hard as a rock...hoping in 5 months it will be much better
Hi, thanks for your review. From the research I've done on this site and others, it sounds as though it normaly takes 4-6months to see a final result, so hopefully you'll have more the results you wanted in time. I'm in the Indy area as well, and have been considering the same procedure, could you tell me who your PS is? Thanks so much and best of luck on the 17th.
Did you have tumescent lipo or some kind of laser/smart lipo/vasar? I had this same thing done on the 3rd. My belly looked the exact same as yours in the before except my surgeon only took out 200 cc!!!! That seems like so little
Hi! My next follow up with my PS is on the 17th. I plan to discuss everything with him then and gain more insight into this process.

That's a good plan. Please do keep us updated and let us know how you get on at your follow-up!

Hi there, thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. I'm sorry you're not seeing the results you wanted, but hopefully with a little more time your results will come out more. When is your next follow-up appointment?