Phenol Peel in Indiana on Dec 14, 2012 - Indiana, IN

After spending a great deal of time tan, the years...

After spending a great deal of time tan, the years of the tanning bed had taken their toll on my 48 year old face. After giving it up, I realized that I was left with wrinkle, uneven skin tone, and dark patches. I was origninaly going to go for lazer, but my doctor said the results would be much better and longer lasting with a deep peel. I did my research, using some of the experiences on this site.

The pain and buring was truly unbelieveable....I spent the first two days post peel in my car in the garage with either the a/c or a fan on, even though it was about 40 degrees. I found that the warmed air in the house made me feel worse. How funny it looked to see me bundled up with a heating pad under my clothes, sitting in the car! I only wish that I had a minivan with heated seats and a dvd player lol. I am now on day four. A lot of the swelling is gone, due to the healing process and prednisone started on the second day. My doctor does not like to start it before then as he feels that the swelling is anintegral part of the first healing. I am now in the slough/ goop stage, with red showing underneath. Being a nursing student, I am more aware than most about what it takes for the body to heal well, so I started in advance. Aside from prepping my face with AHA s and retinaol, about two month before I started an aggressive campaign of high protein, water,and high vitamin C and A diet. Protein is HUGE when it comes to the body healing it's tissue, especially skin. After the peel, I continue to stay well hydrated, and drink several high protein drinks during the day.

I have found that covering areas with saran wrap over the aquaphor helps it not dry out, especially at night. I am trying not to slough off the skin, as it is a great protectant of the area underneath. I have posted some pictures, and will continue to post. Right now, I am looking into something other than Aquaphor, as I am afraid of what problems the petroleum base will cause. I also ordered some makeup called Lycogel, that was specifically created for post peel use, including healing igredients. I will post opinion after I get to use it. Please feel free to ask any questions, as I would like to help anyone who is comtemplating or going through this!

Which doc did your peel? Was it actually done by the Dr or by staff? Did they give you any idea of how long you could expect results to last? I am worried that once the initial swelling is gone, the wrinkles are free to sink back into their old places...has that been your experience at all?
How are you feeling now (nearly 1 year later)? Has the redness subsided? If so, when? Did you have to buy all sorts of specialty makeup to cover the redness? Will you be doing any sort of fillers/botox in the future or just more peels? Do they recommend "light" TCA peels for touch up?
Hi I am thinking about getting the phenol peel around my mouth. Is it worth it? I have hyperpigmentation on my upper lip due to over bleaching and being exposed to the sun. How long was it until you returned to work and went out in public? Do you like the over all outcome? Was it worth it?
Hi, Would you please tell me if you are still happy with the results from your Phenol Peel. Did your skin pigment turn white? Is your skin tighter than it was? Thank you.
I am much better, thanks! Added a recent photo and you can see that the swelling is way down. Went to the doc on Friday and he says all is good. I am still red and peely, but it is definitely WAY more comfortable than it was. Currently I am using hydrocortisone and Vita Ray, which is a cream created for post procedures that is vitamins A and E and aloe.
Thanks so much for your great recap!! How are your results now that it has been more than three months post procedure? Paula
Thanks for your blog. How are you doing now?
It was Megan! I will post newest pics today.....remarkable difference! Funny how it all seems to come together at once, as swelling and pain are MUCH better now. However, sleep continues to elude me (as you can tell, I am posting at 1:30 am lol) Ladies, try to catch up on your sleep BEFORE this procedure!!!!!

Awe, sorry to hear you're not getting much sleep. Hopefully you have some extra time off with the holidays coming up and can make up for it then!!

Looking forward to seeing your new pics. :)

Oh my goodness, the day 3 picture looks so uncomfortable. :( I'm glad to hear you are doing everything you can with diet to help aid your healing - very smart!!

Let us know how healing continues for you - hoping it goes great!!