Here We Go...Tummy Tuck, Breast Augmentation & Lipo on Inner and Outer Thighs! - Huntersville, NC

In 3 days, I will be having a complete makeover...

In 3 days, I will be having a complete makeover which will consist of a Tummy Tuck, Breast Implants and Lipo to the inner and outer thighs.

I am a 39 year old woman weighing 170 lbs and 5'3" tall. I have 2 kids (daughter 20, son 11). I am currently a small B cup and hope to be a small D cup. I have a smaller upper body and larger lower body, definitely a pear! My thighs rub from the inner knees, all the way up.

My son is flying to Grandma's house in Colorado tomorrow to spend 3 weeks with her while on summer vacation. I chose to have the surgery right after he left so that I would have enough time to heal before he came home. He will be returning home to NC with my daughter who lives in Colorado at the same time.

Another reason, I chose this surgery date is because I am getting married in 3 months and want to make sure that I am on a great road to recovery by the time my big day gets here. My fiance is extremely supportive and will be taking very good care of me after surgery.

I gave myself a New Years goal to lose 50 pounds (I weighed 200 pounds at the time) by "surgery time" this summer but I have only managed to lose 30 pounds total. I am very disappointed in myself that I could not make my goal and now that my surgery is in a few days, I really am starting to panic that I robbed myself and now I won't get the desired effect that I had built up in my mind these past 6 months.
With only 3 days away, I'm starting to second guess everything- Was this the right decision? Am I going to regret this? Is it fair or selfish to spend this much money on myself? What on earth am I thinking????

Tomorrow is the BIG DAY!

Tomorrow I will be in surgery for an estimated 7 1/2 hours. So far I am very relaxed and am not nervous. I spent today cleaning the house and getting my "recovery area" set up on the main floor since my bedroom is upstairs and I'm not sure if I will be able to make it up there on the first day home. I don't know what to expect afterwards but I have been fairly optimistic so far (other than my weight issues).

2 Week Post-Op

Thank goodness, I have made it through the worst of it! My surgery went well and the first 5 days have flew by in a medicated blur. It was hardcore surgery and I was no where near prepared for that kind of extreme pain. I set up shop on the main floor living room on one of the couches. I had to stay in a V shape so I had 2 couch pillows behind me and 2 more under my legs. It's funny to think that I took my Kindle to the hospital with me as if I would have time for some leisurely reading during recovery. How lame, I couldn't even focus my eyes for the first 4 days!

I went into the hospital at 9 am on the day of surgery, they weighed me and took tons of photos in the glorious paper bikini bottoms. The anesthesiologist came in and told me every little thing that he was going to do to me and made me feel comfy and then my surgeon came into the room and started drawing all over me and he was so pumped. He acted like he was sculpting his lifetime masterpiece. I had this fatty tumor on my thigh called a Lipoma and that was being removed in surgery as well so all together, I had Lipo from my knees all the way up to under my armpits, the tummy tuck with muscle plication, the breast implants and then the Lipoma removed. Surgery ended up taking 9 hours and they removed 24 pounds of fat and skin. I was so swollen that I looked twice the size of when I went in. The Lipoma on my upper inner thigh ended up being breast tissue and my surgeon talked about it's rarity as if he struck gold and won the lottery on the same day since it's so rare. He took tons of pictures and sent it off to pathology. I can't believe I was growing a 3rd boob on my inner thigh. I do think now that it was because of years and years of being on birth control pills or maybe that had something to do with it but I won't go back on them again now that I'm off.

Since the whole operation was to take about 7 1/2 hours, I hugged and kissed Derek (my fiance) goodbye and we told each other that we were each others whole lives and we were both teary eyed as they took me back to the operating room. I told him not to worry and I would see him when he picked me up the next day. 9 hours later, they woke me up and I opened my eyes and standing over me were 2 blurry Derek's!!! My first words were, "You came back?" and he was like, "Of course I did, I couldn't let you wake up without me after major surgery." I couldn't keep my eyes open even though I could talk but they let him stay for about 20 minutes before he kissed me goodbye.

The night nurse stayed by my side all night long as I was the only over nighter and she woke me up every 15 minutes or so to do something. Around 3 am, she made me stand up and walk to a line on the floor. I thought I was going to die! She did it again at 7am and I was so nauseous that I started to retch but that killed so bad so she made me eat crackers which were like sawdust in my mouth and rushed to give me a shot to stop the retching. Derek was told to come around 8am to pick me up. The surgeon had already checked on me and then updated him with my at home care. I've been going back into the office every other day for progress checks and further care.

The first week: My entire body is black and blue and I have taken 2 showers now, both of which I almost passed out and made me nauseous. I have a folding metal chair in the shower and cannot stand for more than 4 minutes at a time yet. My tummy looks really flat and my boobs look like 'renaissance festival boobs' which are really high up but hopefully soon they will drop down into their pockets and become playboy magazine boobs instead.

16 days post op: I'm doing much better. You know when you have the flu really bad and your whole body just aches and aches? That's how I feel this week which is a million times better than I did 2 weeks ago when I could have sworn I'd been hit by a train! I got my tubes and drains taken out yesterday and that made a world of difference. I hated being connected to all those things and they kept me all hunched over and it killed my back sooooo bad to stay hunched like that for 2 solid weeks.

I have to give Derek mad props for being an excellent nurse. He normally can't stand to look at wounds, doesn't want to see it, get's all squeamish, etc....but he really stepped up to the plate by changing all of my dressings and bandages, emptying all of my drains, keeping a medical chart of all my antibiotics, pain meds and blood thinners, helping me to the bathroom, bathing me in the shower when I couldn't move a single muscle to save my life. Everytime, I went to the bathroom during the first week, it looked like a crime scene took place in there and he had to clean that whole mess up and do a load of laundry every day of my robes and bedding. Sheesh, that man must love me!

So, that's my update for now. I do pretty much nothing except heal. I never told anybody about my surgery (except for a 3 close friends) so when people call and ask what's up, I just have to act all normal. I'm still about 70% swollen and I am still going in for my surgical check ups about every other day so that my doctor can check my progress. Every time, I go in, my surgeon repeats over and over, "I'm just so proud of you, I'm just so proud of you!" All I'm doing is laying there trying not to die and he acts like I have magical powers and am healing myself at a mind blowing rate!

I do have to say that Dr. Kortesis is an amazing surgeon! He is so personable and reassuring and his bedside manner is impeccable. On surgery day, while he was drawing all over me, I asked him if he brought his A game that day and in an energetic, excited way, he answered, "Oh yes I did!". I knew he was the doc for me and I went into surgery without any hesitation.

2 week post op

3 week update

Today, I am 3 weeks post-op and have done really well this week. I've been driving everywhere, grocery shopping, running errands, etc. I would describe how I feel as just uncomfortable. My legs, back and boobs are really sore still but totally pain manageable. I am just getting around to posting my before photos and will take more after photos as soon as I get a chance (I'm that girl that's always 1 step behind). I feel like once I got my drains out last week, it was a pivotal turning point in my recovery.

My breasts have come down a bit now that I've been instructed to do massages on them. I just bought a bra at Victoria's Secret and I went from being a 38B to a 36D so I am very glad to hear that. I have saline implants, under the muscles and they were each filled to 600 cc's. I can't wait for them to drop into their pockets, I wonder how long that takes?

I'm out of compression garments but have to wear ankle-ribcage spanx for the next 3 months. Guess I will be wearing a lot of skirts and dresses. Thank goodness, they offer a pee hole because getting those spanx on takes an act of God!

My kids come home this week after visiting family in Colorado for the past 3 weeks so now I have to pick them up from the airport and act all normal and try to stand up straight and not complain about pain. We are taking a weekend trip to Savannah, Georgia so this is going to be real test to see if I can be on the go for 3 solid days. Wish me luck!
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Hi, I'm located in Charlotte and looking to have the same procedures, how did you afford it? Do they offer payment options? Don't mean to be nosey, just trying to get the skinny on best options. I'm a 43 yr old single mother of 4. I'm seriously considering having my procedure done in the DR by Dr. Robles, another surgeon on this site who also does great work, but I'd much rather have it done up the street,lol! However at this rate by the time I can afford it I don't think it'll matter :( How's your recovery going? Do you have any recent post op pictures?
Hi there, Yes, I will have to posted updated photos right away, a lot has changed since I last posted 3 months ago. I would definitely go to the Hundstad/Kortesis center in a heartbeat if you are in Charlotte. Plus, the doctors will want to see you every other day, once a week, once every 2 weeks, etc... for the next 3 months. They are very diligent about looking out for you and monitoring your progress . I applied the $5,000 down payment to my American Express card since I had 3 months to pay that off before my actual surgery. The balance ($20,000 in my case) was due 2 weeks before surgery at the pre-op appointment. I used my Care Credit card to pay for that. Currently, I owe a balance of $14,000 so it's slowly whittling away, just like my body. I had extreme lipo from under my armpits all the way down to my knee caps, breast implants, tummy tuck with full muscle plication and a tumor removed from my thigh for a total of 9 hours in surgery. I think you are billed for what you are having done specifically, how long you will be under, if you need to spend the night, and so on. I was worried in the beginning about the money and if I was being selfish but then I thought, my 20's are over, my 30's are almost over so when am I going to start living for me? You will never get this 2nd chance again so why not just go for it? It was a hard 3 weeks of recovery but nobody else suffered for it. Good luck and keep me posted! Thanks!
OMG!! I just looked at your before pics. Wow, outstanding work!!!
Angie do you have any before pictures. Your two weeks post op looks great and I wanted to see what you looked liked before.
Yes, I just posted them. So glad to hear that you're 3 days out. Great job. Don't you just love Dr. Kortesis? I am so glad he was my surgeon. I just wanted somebody who was really aggressive because for most of us, we only get this chance one time and if we are going to go through with it and pay that much money, I wanted a doctor who would make it count. How do you feel? Are you draining a lot of fluids? Where is most of your swelling?
I am so glad I went with him as well. I feel good. Most of my swelling is in my stomach and lower back. I am not draining as much as the first night but the color is getting lighter. I just took my first shower and it was tough with the drains and trying to get my garment and foam back on. There's no way to shower without any help. I'm taking it easy.
You look great!! I am three days post op and so excited to see my results in two weeks. Had my followup with Dr. Kortesis today and everything looks good. So anxious for the swelling to go down.
You look great and I love love the detailed review!!!
Thank you very much!
U look awesome! And thanks for the great update :0)
Hi Angie! Thank u sooooo much for the detailed review. I had my consults and was really worrying about the lipo along with TT and BA BL. Your review put my mind at ease... . I have 2 young ones and Im 38 yrs old. I'm thinking 1 week in a hotel with a nurse close to the doc. The doc lives an hour away. Hubby care from week 2 onwards...so much to think about! Thanks so much for your detailed review! Happy healing !
Hi there, thank you. Yes, just do it ALL at once and get it over with. It's a rough 2 weeks but then it's all downhill from there. Yesterday (15 days post op), I went grocery shopping by myself, carried everything into the house, put everything away and made dinner before anybody got home with no problem so the worst is over. Just baby yourself the first 2 weeks and focus on healing.
Good luck! I'm scheduled for the 5th of July with Dr. Kortesis.
Thank you. Good luck to you too! What are you having done?
Tummy tuck with Lipo of upper abs and hip rolls
Good luck to you!! Hope all went well!
Thank you so much. I will update.

I'm very excited for you! Today is your big day and I'm hoping that by now you're resting comfortably and have some good pain meds! When you feel up to it, please let us know how you're feeling.

And you might want to check out Blonde in Bluffton's account of her first three days post op.

Thank you so much. I sure will check her out!
You are going to be so glad that you had the mm! It was the best decision that I made!! Good luck with your surgery and remember to take 1 day at a time!
Thank you. Yes, one day at a time is key.
Good luck! I'm glad you are so relaxed the day before -- I think that means you've made the right decision. :)