Difficult Decision - Houston, TX

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be...

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be one of "those" people that would ever have a Facelift. But, after years of not wearing sunscreen and smoking for over 20 years, my face was showing serious signs of abuse. My mind was made up when a very special lady in her late seventies at church said one of her regrets was not having a facelift 15 years ago. Since I had just turned 65 I decided now was the time to either have the facelift or cover the mirrors in my house.

I went to 4 or 5 plastic surgeons in the area and decided on Dr. Gill. He didn't say he would make me look like my granddaughter but he did tell me he thought I would be happy with the results. I had an upper eye lift, full face lift and neck lift. He explained the procedures to me and why he would do specific procedures. His office staff was second to none.

The procedures I had done by Dr. Gill required an overnight stay. I am so glad I had the nurses to help me get through the night to administer the pain medication and keep ice packs on my eyes through the night. The next morning Dr. Gill changed the bandages and removed the two drain tubes and I went home early afternoon. I forgot to mention the surgery was around 4 1/2 hours.

The pain was manageable with medication after the first 24 hours. The swelling started to subside after 72 hours. Bruising was never very bad. I did have sores in my mouth and throat which is very typical for me when I take large dosages of antibiotics. I slept with my head elevated and wore a compression for 3 weeks.

5 week photo

5 week post op check-up

Went in to see PS today and everything is looking good. I am to begin massaging scars 3 times a day. This is to help the scars flatten out and diminish in size. Still loving my new face.

Haircut

Finally got in to get a much needed haircut.
Houston Plastic Surgeon

Dear Awesome Granny, I'm considering a similar procedure with Dr. Gil. I'm very nervous about. Just reading & seeing your post has me feel a little better. I hope my results look as good as yours.
You look absolutely fantastic and happy. I turned the 68 yr old corner and think it is time to do something, Botox and fillers can only do so much and can't help those horrid "jowls" I over exaggerate but I think I look like a bulldog. Did you take Arnica pre and post operation? Also, my concern is that I live alone and don't have anyone to assist me also have pets to consider. My pets can be taken care by a sitter but do you feel that a person can handle the recovery on their own? I know the surgeon I will be using does have a connection with close by hotels for recovery that first night - opinions? You must be extremely happy with your recovery and the results.
Awesome Granny, your results are truly awesome! The doctor took 20 years off of you! It's remarkable how little bruising you had.
Thanks for your comments also...I am due to have a facelift in nine days....in Thailand. Have no problem with going there as I will get a facelift and a breastlift for a reasonable price and have a great doctor with Dr Komwit. Have researched this properly so I will be unlucky for things not to go well. It is amazing your lack of bruising and it must be great the feeling when it is all history. I will just be looking at myself all the time and now I avoid that if I can. Hate the extra long face the jowls and dropped skin give you ....depressing. I am getting my eyes and neck done also so expect a marked improvement. Not sure about the breast job two days later but may as well feel crappy in one week I suppose....I am younger and turn 57 on the 20th so that should be an advantage. Although where i am going I feel like the old lady. I have posted under Watch this Space or Jaycee895 Cheers and thanks for your reviews - they help us Ladies in Waiting !!!
Please let us know how you are doing. I know you will do well and will pray for a speedy recovery.
Oh my what a difference! you look great and that's inspiring. Especially the lack of bruising you had, makes me hopefull and less scared.

Very cute cut! Thanks for your updates.

Thanks!
You look so young, your Dr does great work. Thanks for the update.
Thank you.
Can't believe how great u looked even after one week. Wonderful. Very helpful comments for me.
Thank you! I feel great!
Awesome granny. You look about 35! The guys are going to be hitting on you. Are you ready for that?
You are too sweet!
Awesome, Im so happy for you! You look fantastic!
Thank you.
Wow beautiful results...good for you! Things only get better with time...
Thank you. I can see a difference each week. Now I have just got to take care of it.

Wow! Amazing results. Any lasting discomfort at this stage?

Thank you so much for sharing on RealSelf.

Thanks Angiemcc. I have a little discomfort in my neck which is due to the tightness and my stamina is not where it was but I'm slowly getting there. Overall I feel great.
Hi, great result! What a difference! Enjoy your beautiful "new you!"
Thanks. Reading all the comments on Realself really helped me along this journey.
oops wrong person
was that 7200 pesos or dollars? What's the name of the place you went to in cancun , mex?
I wish it was pesos, lol. Good ole American dollars. Add plane fare and lab work and food, and incidentals into your final cost. So my grand total was around $8500 all in, not counting the shopping I did.