Successful Breast Cancer Reconstruction - Houston, TX

I highly recommend Dr. Schusterman. I was...

I highly recommend Dr. Schusterman. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2002 and had a lumpectomy followed by chemo and radiation. I thought all of this was behind me but to my horror I was diagnosed again in the summer of 2013 with breast cancer (a different type of cancer)in the same breast and had to have a mastectomy. I was about to be a grandmother for the first time and wanted to have the surgery before he was born. My surgeon highly recommended Dr. Schusterman and all of it fell into place within two weeks. I am so thankful he was able to perform my surgery on such short notice. He amazingly was able to get me in his schedule on a Friday afternoon. He shows such compassion for breast cancer patients. The work he did was incredible—both breasts look the same and I am so comfortable in my clothes. I cannot say enough about Dr. Schusterman and his entire staff. They were kind and considerate at every visit and during every phone call to his office. I would recommend him to anyone who is faced with this surgery.
EBK
Houston Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Schusterman and his staff show such care and compassion for patients. I would highly recommend his expertise to anyone facing this surgery.

I am getting a mastectomy on Feb 5...I am 32 and so very nervous. I was wondering if you could give me any advice....
Well, to begin with, going on the Internet was very damaging to me. Although there is great information out there, there is also a lot of negative and non medical advice out there too. So I decided to listen to only my friends who had gone through this and my doctors. Please trust that if you have faith in your medical team, leave the medicine to them and build a strong support around you. What helped me the most was speaking to women with positive energy. We are all afraid, fear the unknown, and think the worst, but we have to fight that and just say, hey, I have breast cancer, I'm going to get rid of it, this is my first step, so lets get going!! I continued to work for the six weeks between my diagnosis and surgery. I work as a Hospice Nurse myself, and keeping my mind busy with people who are much sicker than I am was a gift to me. Ask questions if you have them, cry when you have to and laugh when you can. Where are you located? I am happy to answer anything you need. What kind of cancer do you have and what surgery are you having. It has been my experience that once people know you have breast cancer, you will be overwhelmed with support. Filter out what you can use and what is just too much information at this time. People mean well, but sometimes they must give you too much information. Surround yourself with positive energy, yoga, meditation. And when your mind starts to wander too much, redirect yourself and do something that will keep your mind busy. I'm. It sure if our direct email is accessible on our profiles, but if so, feel free to email me. But I will be happy to answer any questions you might have to the best of my ability. Some good news, six months ago, I was in your shoes. Diagnosed, finding a new mom for my kids, planning my memorial service??? But it's six months later, my surgeries are over, ( one or two more small ones for cosmetic reasons), I'm getting back on my feet, I've found a wonderful support facility and taking one day at a time. Each day is different, some good some bad, but I believe that something good will come from this. Stay strong. My motto, Nothing positive comes from being negative! Although, I have had some if those days too, but keep on going. Let me know what I can answer for you. Hugs.
Wow, thank you for your amazing response and support in the community. Your honesty and sincerity is beautiful. Hoping you can someday share your experience in a review. It sounds like you have a lot of personal experience and the gift of sharing your support, that would be inspirational for other women. Congrads on kicking the cancer! ;)
Can you elaborate on your process following the mastectomy? How does your surgical breast match with your real breast in shape and size? How long did it take to get a good result? Thanks somuch.