Depressed... I Want my Gap Back!

Please help me... What should I do? I'm 21...

Please help me... What should I do? I'm 21 years old and just spent all my money (literally) on this. I don't even want to smile anymore.

I wanted to get veneers because my teeth had several baby teeth on it, I had one small gap between my front teeth, and I had a gummy smile. Now I regret having anything done.

The veneers that will be made and placed on my teeth are made from polymer refinforced porcelain (composites?) Before I agreed to get them done, I expressed my concerns to him about the material and the mass research I did on this, but he ensured me that they won't stain and will look natural. So, he drilled all my 6 front tooth, which 4 of them didn't even need to be drilled.

I had decent and very healthy teeth to begin with, just wanted nicer-looking teeth. Now my teeth are all ruined and I can't reverse it! I'm on my temporaries, but they look soooo fake and not me.

It's hard to tell in the pictures because I used my laptop's webcam. But they are bulky, too big, and too white.

He said he used bonding material for the temporaries... but isn't that the same material as composites?

What should I do? Are temporaries supposed to look like this? I have no money left and my I don't even want to go out in public anymore.

Pros: If you go to an EXPERIENCED COSMETIC...

Pros:

If you go to an EXPERIENCED COSMETIC dentist, you will have perfect teeth and a smile you always wanted. Only the porcelain veneers look excellent. Don't settle for less when it comes to YOUR PERMANENT SMILE.

Cons:

If you don't go to a regular dentist, the results may not be as nice. If you get the composite resin veneers, you will regret you didn't opt for the porcelain veneers. Also, it's not reversible. I miss my old smile and teeth, and been regretting this decision. People aren't informed on how veneers can really have a great impact-- for better or for worse... My advice is: If you have other conservative options (bonding, etc.), do those instead.

Why I did it:

I had pretty healthy looking teeth to begin with. But I had a small gap between my two front teeth. I also still had 2-4 baby teeth that never fell out. So my teeth were small. He had to drill 6 of my top teeth (I only got them on my top 6 front teeth). So, I cannot undo veneers.

Before deciding to get veneers:

-Find an EXCELLENT and EXPERIENCE COSMETIC dentist. Ask questions, meet old patients, look at pictures, etc.

-Make sure you can afford them--- Not just presently, but in the future where you will need to replace them. Because you WILL need to replace them a fewl times in your life.

-Get porcelain veneers. Don't get composite. I got the composite kind, and now regret my decision. If you can't afford to get porcelain veneers right now, wait until you can. I'm 21 years old and going to school, and just spent all my money on veneers. Now I'm stuck and don't know what I will do if I need to replace them in the future.

-Discuss to your cosmetic dentist exactly what you want. Don't be afraid to articulate what you like and don't like.

I sincerely feel so sorry for you. I'm in the same boat. I'm on my second set of veneers and truly regret making the unwise decision. My natural teeth were small and gummy, and my teeth continue to space out. In hindsight, I should've gotten braces one more time and undergo gum surgery/reshaping to naturally lengthen my teeth and reduce the size of my gums. Unfortunately, I choose veneers. Although they look alright, there's nothing prettier and healthier than a natural smile. A few years have past, hopefully you've adjusted to your veneers and hope they were worth it to you.
Does anyone know if orthodontist could widen teeth gap for someone who naturally had one before braces?
can you get refund on your veneers if they are not delivered? nor your teethe havnt been prep yet ? the gal say i might not get a refund for them? where do i go from here? i pay for 6 of them.and it cost an arm and a leg! somebody please helllppp :(

Have they said what they will be charging you for if they haven't prepped the teeth yet?

I got Veneers over three years ago. My teeth were all very small. I got my top 6 done. I love them and no one ever knew I had Veneers. People always tell me I have a pretty smile. I had a couple fall off and the reapplied them for me for 18.00. My smile was terrible before. I would like to have a temp cement for just incase one falls out and i get get to the dentist. but it is very rarely that i have that proble. I cut up all my food and eat on my back teeth. I am very careful with my front teeth. now i am considering geting my bottom 4 done.
I'm in the same exact boat as you, except maybe worse. I got my veneers at 21, and it was the worst decision of my life. I went to the dentist about some discomfort and he filed them down. THE NEXT DAY the top left veneer cracked.. then 3 days after visiting the dentist the other one cracked and fell off. AND he said since it's been 2 and half years that the best he could do was $850 for each veneer, when I complained he said the second one for $425, so both for $1275. This is ridiculous that I have to pay that much to get the veneers replaced in just 2 and half years. I just came back from the dentist today with my new veneers and one comes out a little bit more than the other. I'm going back tomorrow but I'm worried what he will just shrug it off and say it's normal. There is also a tiny space at the top between my teeth and I don't know if my gums will come down and fill it. To make it worse is that I'm moving back to California in about a week so there will be no time for me to wait for a new set of veneers if I need them. I don't know, I'm so stressed out about this. I just want to slap my past self in the face and ask myself what was I thinking. I have to go through the rest of my life paranoid that my veneers are going to fall off.
Hi, to Demp, find someone in Cali that is accredited with the AACD. I think the dentist you went to is not a cosmetic dentist, just a general dentist who calls himself one. They all call themselves cosmetic dentists!...so you want someone who is truly accredited! It's like going in for a boob job or tummy tuck..you want someone who is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon..the same concept applies to dentists who do cosmetic work..
Yeah I think you are right. Hopefully after I graduate from school and get a job I can redo my veneers with a proper cosmetic dentist..

I just came back from the dentist and after waiting in the chair for nearly an hour, he just filed down my lower tooth and shrugged off any concerns I had. *sigh*
I'm sorry you had to go through this. There are some great cosmetics out there who offer a lifetime guarantee on veneers and do a wonderful job. You won't need to pay a fee or anything is a veneer cracks. It's hard to find one though. A lot of other cosmetic dentists offer a 2 or 5 year guarantee on veneers. Again, no fee if they crack or anything. Your dentist that did your veneers sound money hungry to me. I am very sick and tired of unethical and bad dentists. In fact, based from the experience I had with veneers a few years ago, I decided to become dentist and just had 2 dental school interviews :)

Anyhow, I have spoken to numerous dentists and they said you can always write an official letter and get your refund back, but only if you did NOT have to sign a letter saying that you are satisfied with your veneers. Some dentists require that the patient sign a letter that they are satisfied with the veneers before he/she cements the veneers in. What I realized was that dentists hate confrontation and what not. I did this with my first dentist who did my composite veneers and he gave me some of my money back. I plan to do the same with the dentist who recently replaced my composite veneers (he also did a terrible job!).
Wow congratulations on becoming a dentist. Don't ever go over to the dark side please! lol.
Unfortunately I already signed a document agreeing to the price, and the last check is about to go through. The veneers aren't horrible, they're ok, but I'm just regretting getting them in the first place because I never realized that they could break or fall off at any moment. If I had that knowledge back then, I never would have agreed to this. I wish the dentist had thoroughly explained to me the process and the lifetime of responsibility that comes with it.

P.S. I'm still feeling sensitivity but it's just been a day, is this normal? I don't remember from the first time I got them. I'm just really paranoid and worried that they might not be cemented correctly. *sigh* Unnecessary stress...
I had the same problem initially and asked my dentist to make them a little smaller as I had small teeth to begin with. I have to say that made a huge improvement. No body even knows I have veneers. He did such a good job. I only had 2 done at the very front and you wouldn't even know. I have had them for 7 years no problems what so ever. I think the problem is if you go to white and if the veneer is to big.
I have been looking at getting veneers but after reading all of this im scared. My two front teeth are the only thing that bothers me as they have a slight cross and i hate smiling with them. After reading this i dont like the idea of veneers and dont know what to do? i just want to be comfortable with my smile and it seems there is nothing to help me?! My dentist says my teeth are not bad enough for a brace so i dont know what to do.
Charlotte W, it's not worth it. Why fix something that's still healthy? I wish someone told me that before I got something done. I'm almost 23 now, and I just got my old veneers "fixed" again. And guess what? It's the same thing that happened before. Teeth will look bulky, unnatural, and people will be able to know you got something done. I rather have natural teeth than something that looks fake. It's so high maintenance and they can fall off at ANY time and they can crack at ANY time. Then you have to go back to the dentist over and over again. It's a never ending trip of hell. Plus if the margins are not correct, you will get gum disease.. where they bleed with the slightest touch and this can lead to bone loss, and thus you will lose your teeth. I am suffering with this right now.

Trust me when I tell you this... what you were born with is the best thing that looks great on you. You may notice the small "flaws," but other people don't really care about it. If your teeth are healthy, don't drill them down because they will NEVER go back the way they were... T

Your dentist even says your teeth aren't bad enough.. DON'T DO IT! Please listen to me....
Thank you for telling honestly, i definitely think im gonna leave them be! x

The solution to the above is go for braces;but never ever for those laminates... they may fall off while eating hard stuff.

Speaking from experience Don't get a brace, there horrible to wear and can cause other teeth to shift. I'd only be doing that if you had an overbite or something a little more serious. I had a brace just to correct my 2 front teeth and what a complete waste of time. Go for Veneers, if you choose a really good cosmetic dentist no body will know. Don't go for Glamsmile or anything else that isn't a Porcelain Veneer and make sure they use a good lab. If the dentist is making them himself I would be a little concerned.
OH MY GOODNESS! I went to a dentist for the 1st consult to get veneers for 1 front chipped tooth (it is 3dimensional a piece is missing from the tongue/underside of the tooth. I've had for 30 years (fell on play ground when I was 8) and since then have not given a toothy grin. I have practiced and perfected a closed lip smile(the smile is lopsided too from trying to divert the attention from the teeth to my 1 very deep dimple. Photographers are always upset with me. Instead of veneers the dentist is suggesting "porcelain zirconia crown" (I wrote that down to research). I went to nursing school only to discover I have a phobia. I am DEATHLY afraid of doctors and hospitals! During my clinicals I was too sensitive crying on my drive home each night because I wanted to care for each patient personally and sit down and talk about life with them and cheer them up if they were down or lonely all the while sure that I would catch something or bring something home to my family. I was already scared of the procedure/invasion but now after reading comments on here I am scared out of my wits (and literally shaking).I never thought the situation could be made worse! Is the dentist suggesting the crown because that is where his expertise is? He claims he charges the same for both. Maybe I will keep lopsided chipped tooth closed lip smile...
THANKS for everyone's responses! Marabou7, I'm not a dentist or anything, just a student, but from all my experiences and research.... if you have only one chipped tooth, I would just go with BONDING. Bonding is REVERSIBLE and much cheaper. It's honestly the BEST way to go. Why drill down healthy teeth? I wish I went with my gut instinct, and did that instead. Best advice is to go to a COSMETIC DENTIST, one who is accreditted with much experience and who has GOOD MORALS. There are some unethical doctors out there who are aiming for the money. Watch out. If you have a doctor who pressures you even slightly for any reason, RUN AWAY.
I also want my large gap back! I had three porcelain veneers and one crown, the crown was there ever since I was 10, but the veneers I had done when I was 27, because I was unhappy with my smile. At first I was pleased at how fantastic they looked, but the dentist forgets to mention that they will be a life long maintenance, they fall of periodically and I have to pay to recement them back on and carry cement with me incase I'm at a public outing. I'm 39 now and have sensitivity in one veneer and worried if there is decay under the veneer and the xray does not show yet, they tell me it's a receding gum line above the veneer. Keep the teeth you were born with!
You should always see a qualified cosmetic dentist. Look for board certifications and qualifications. Yes, you will pay more, but it will be done once and right. I had my porcelein veneers put on 23 years ago, and they still look wonderful. I take care not to eat things like blueberries to avoid staining. If your veneers are falling off, they have not been put on properly. Carrying cement with you is ridiculous and this type of situation should never occur with properly applied veneers. For those who are in 'mid process' and have their temporaries on, or enamel removed, don't judge yet; if your cosmetic dentist is good, you'll be very pleased with the end results. They will look quite different from the temporary veneers.
I am in the same exact situation! I had my 6 front teeth prepped for veneers. I hate my look now. My old look was so much prettier. All I wanted was a subtle enhancement to my old smile. Now I want my old teeth back. I told the dentist I did not want veneers after all and to rebond back my old exact shape and look. And then I'll just get touch ups. I'll see how that goes. I know porcelain is supposed to be nicer, but they are too bulky for my mouth (it is small and I have smaller teeth).
My heart goes out to you. I did the same thing years ago when I was 18. I regret the decision every day. Individuals considering veneers really need to think about the permanent nature of their decision. I too was interested in the instant gratifaction to cover minor imperfections and have to live with the consequences of that decision. It's a hard lesson to fight with every day, I know. Be careful in regards to the depression. I understand the physical reminders, but focusing on physical imperfections or apparent bad decision to the point you get depressed is a dark and dangerous path that doesn't lead anywhere positive. If I could offer hope, it's that we are younger and dentistry and science are evolving every day. Scientists are already able to reproduce enamel and alternative materials to porcelain in vitro. It's only a matter of time before dentistry takes a giant leap forward and we're able to regrow/regenerate enamel in the mouth,use alternative materials, or regrow teeth entirely. Focus on the positives.