33 Yr Old Mother, Working on Myself for Once. - Jefferson, LA

My story? Well in my 20s I noticed that my teeth...

My story?

Well in my 20s I noticed that my teeth started shifting...no big deal I guess. I was so wrong! Fast forward to this year. I have developed a FULL fledged underbite. So since I've been paying for dental insurance and I never use it...I decided to check into braces.

My journey started on April 28, 2014. My orthodontist (Dr Leeann Evans, Harahan La) has made AMAZING progress! The slight crowding has evened out some and my teeth are shifting. She's done this in stages. She started closing gaps on the lower rear from having molars extracted. Then the upper braces on August 4th and finally the bottom completed on August 27th.

Is it painful? ABSOLUTELY! I find I'm in the most pain after getting wires changed and the day after I got the brackets put on.

But it's all worth it. I stopped smiling a long time ago. I don't like the smile that I have. In 2-3 years, I'll have the smile that I dream of!
Dr Leeann Evans

Dr Evans is great. She's very creative and has done great work so far. She was willing to try to correct my underbite without surgery.

Wow!  And thank you so much for sharing your story with us.  I've never heard of an underbite developing so late in life, (though I am far from an expert--maybe it happens all the time!)  Was there any indication of what caused it?  And did you have a full-fledged overbite before you started, or was it kind of edge-to-edge?  Thank you so much for explaining how your doctor is treating it.  I noticed your arch shapes are very nice, very U-shaped, so that's certainly not the problem.  Would love more information if you have it!

I hope you plan to update us on your progress. :) I'm pretty sure your case is unique to the community (not the underbite but the late-development).  Thank you!
The only thing I can THINK that may have happened is that I had been taking the Depo for a long time (7-8 years) and it seems to cause calcium & bone loss. My dr didn't tell me that when I was taking that. It was a "free" clinic and I honestly think they didn't care. Apparently you're supposed to take supplements. Well I wasn't. I've read that teeth can shift into a persons 20s but I admit it was just getting worse and worse. Before they started to shift (when I was in my teens)...it wasn't a full fledged overbite but I didn't have an underbite at all. I'm going to try to keep updating this site. I have a YouTube channel about it and a blog. I was told by several orthodontists that I'd need surgery to fix an underbite. I'm happy I found one that was willing to try. There isn't a lot of info on adults with braces and correcting it without surgery. Hopefully I'll be able to help someone.
Thank you for the additional info.  You will definitely help others!  Lots of people come through here who never even bother to comment, so for every comment you get, many others have seen you :D.