PicoSure Laser on 4 Tattoos

Went for a consultation at second dermatologist...

Went for a consultation at second dermatologist for the removal of four tattoos, each approximtely 16-17 years old. One is on the inner section of my forearm (frog), and the other three are on my legs (2 on outside section of ankles, larger one on my calf). The dermatologist I met with does many different types of procedures in his office and had just installed the new PicoSure laser, which I had only recently read about on Google. He quoted me a similar rate as the another dermatologist for the old yag laser and then quoted twice the cost for the PicoSure - he then offered me a $200 discount. Of the 4 tattoos, three have noticeable changes and I am quite happy. The 4th is darkish maroon with a thick black outline. This one was tattooed twice because the first time it was done quite poorly. I am going to post a piece of it below so you can get a sense of how little it's changed compared to the others (although it has definitely faded); otherwise, the other three are looking great. So, pleased to-date. I think when I go back for the second treatment I will ask the doctor to try the old laser on the red as he mentioned the PicoSure is not as effective on that color. The doctor said I could come back in as little as a month, but from what I've read, its better to wait. I will re-evaluate the red one in a month's time and perhaps try that one with the older laser. For the other ones, I plan to have the second treatment done in September (3 months after first treatment).

Moon update

Thanks for the comment on the blue ink in the moon. It's completely gone! This one looks great. I'll provide a 2-week update Thursday but here's a glimpse of the moon at 12 days. Makes me want to go back for more!

2 weeks in, before and after pics

To help everyone get a better sense of the fading, I'm uploading the original photos and ones I took today, back-to-back. Still more progress. I continue to notice a light haze of black around the frog so it seems like my body continues to absorb the ink.

Forgot to add the K

Week 3

Strange - almost three weeks to the day, I woke up and noticed three if the four tattoos had the surrounding skin peeling/flaking a lot. I definitely notice they're still fading, so I am going to hold off getting the second treatment. I'm posting pics of the frog original and post 3 weeks, 1x treatment.

5 months later; second treatment

Time seemed to slip away from me, and with my busy schedule I found it difficult to get back in for another session. I was finally able to schedule one for this Tuesday, two days ago, and am posting updated photos.

This time, I believe the doctor increased the laser setting. In addition, he used the Picosure on three of the four tattoos, and then use the picosure on the black outline of the letters. For the red inside the letters, he use the old kind of laser; I don't remember what it's called, but it's visible light as compared the picosure which is ultraviolet light. My understanding is that the picosure is not too good on the red ink, and that the older laser is much more effective on reds.

The doctor was really impressed with the amount of fading on the tattoos from the one treatment. The letters were much darker and had less fading.

This time the treatment definitely hurt more, and interestingly, the old laser hurts less than the picosure laser. At the same time, post treatment, I will definitely say that all four tattoos are more painful with much more significant blistering, especially the red section from the old kind of laser.

One week later

The massive blister and swelling on the letters finally subsides after 6 days and then popped. I read that the blister is actually helping to destroy the ink. Anyway, it was magenta red from the coloring inside. It looks like it may have removed a lot of the red ink. We'll see as it heals.

12 days after 2nd treatment

Was quite itchy for a few days, especially the letters.

2 weeks

Last two days have cleared up scanning some more. Have a better idea of how much the moon has faded. Also seeing more fading with frog. I'm really impressed with this much fading from only two treatments, and my guess is I'll see more fading over the next couple months.

Moon

Scab coming off moon. Day 16. Huge difference from just 2 treatments!

One month after second treatment

Third treatment

72 hours after third treatment

Thought I would post some pictures. Interestingly, this session, by far, was the most painful, but I'm not seeing the same level of swelling or discomfort. Although it's only been 3 sessions, the sun looks to be completely gone. I don't think I'll get it lasered again as it was barely noticeable after last time. I'm hoping the moon outline fades some more, too. I was hoping this would be the last time on the moon but looks like I'll need ateSt one more session on it. Was hoping to cut down some of the expense by dropping from 4 tattoos to 2 - at $1300/session, it's getting expensive!

About 2 weeks after 3rd treatment