Large Lipoma Removed from Left Hip - Greenville, SC

Was well worth the surgery to remove this lipoma...

Was well worth the surgery to remove this lipoma which was painful while sleeping on side and causing pressure on spine causing a lot of low back pain. Surgery was on December 10, 2012. Hospital stay overnight to control pain. Relatively speaking the surgery wasn't the cause of pain afterwards but other health issues. I have 2 JP drains that are still there 3 weeks post op. When they removed such a large lipoma there is the space that it once occupied where tissue needs to grow, if it filled up with just blood I would have a sloshy mess and need another surgery just to remove the fluid. I would rather keep the drains in until they are putting out less than an ounce in a 24 hour period. My surgeon is awesome and I have complete faith in him and his staff.

Thank you for sharing, I have two lipoma cysts. The doctors kept telling me it was nothing, but now the one on my leg is excruciatingly painful. After a car accident I ended up on crutches. It is too painful to walk after the car accident, but the doctor is still not hearing me.
I have learned that we know our own bodies better than doctors do sometimes. I now know this after 9 months post op finding a professional that will listen makes a whole lot of sense! Gail, trust yourself and be persistent.
That is just not right! I sure feel for you, and I can relate. Find another Doctor. A good surgeon. I have several lypomas in my arms legs, and two on each lower hip area. The one on my right hip causes terrible pain, even when I walk. I intend to insist on it being removed. Its still growing.
Dr. Brian McKinley