Finally Perky and Normal Size at 58 Years Old -Grand Rapids, MI

I've thought of having this done for years but...

I've thought of having this done for years but never got up the nerve to talk to my doctor about it. When I talked to her she referred me to Plastic Surgery Associates and Dr. David Alfonso in Grand Rapids, MI. He explained the procedure to me, the woman in charge of insurance was able to get it approved quickly, I had my preop check-up with my family Dr. then had to wait 2-3 weeks for surgery day. Because of my insurance I had to have the surgery done at a local hospital. Everything went well, I think I was sorer and in more pain than I expected. It's been almost 5 months and I absolutely love the fact that I went from a DDD cup to a size C. The surgeon removed approx. 5# total from my breasts. The relief I've felt on my back & shoulders right after surgery was wonderful.

I went back for a consult with Dr. Alfonso today...

I went back for a consult with Dr. Alfonso today and I'm scheduled for a tunny tuck and liposuction for April 9th. Every since my breast reduction everytime I look down all I see are the rolls of fat that just doesn't go away with any amount of exercise. He explained I'll be cut from hip to hip so they can do the muscle repair inside and all the skin & fat between my belly button and bikini line will be removed, my belly button reset with my skin pulled down tight afer they remove fat from my chest area, sides & back flanks. I found a testimonial (on this site) and pictures of a 58 yr old woman (my age) with more belly fat and probably just as heavey as I am and her after pictures was fabulous. I took her pictures today and said "this is what I want to look like when you're done". I can't wait to show you the after pictures of me with no fat rolls. My "before tummy tuck" pictures are below. Can't wait for the new and improved me!

Sometimes I think about this "instant"...

Sometimes I think about this "instant" gratification we have in our society. We look at all the before & after pictures and do not realize the pain & problems we have to go thru to get to the "after" part. That is why I'm so satisfied with this site since there's so many women willing to support and counsel eachother before & after procedures. Good luck to everyone on their way to their "after".

1 Yr after BR

I'm still thrilled with my breast reduction surgery and I'm 4 days short of 1 yr. My scars have gotten very faint and I feel pretty and sexy in cute little bras. Before BR I often felt like a cow since my breasts were so huge (DDD) and heavy. I would hang out of sexy bras and the shoulder straps really cut into my shoulders because of the weight of the BIG girls. I couldn't get comfortable at night since my huge breasts were always in the way. So I took a few updated pictures of my 1 yr 'after'. In the past year I've also had a TT so I don't have so much fat/skin under my breasts.
Dr. David Alfonso

My general practician doctor referred me to them.

He's an amazing Dr.!!. So kind & he really cares.. I just had a double mastectomy done and he is doing the reconstruction. He has made a hard time in my life so much easier, with his positive personality & he truely cares, along with his staff.
So glad Dr. Alfonso was able to help you at such a difficult time.
Yes he has great bedside manner. I'm so glad he's doing your reconstruction.
Congratulations on your new found perkiness...you look great!
Welcome to the flat side! Can't wait to hear your experience!
I did update my progress. Not sure it makes much scense yet. I'm pretty drugged up.
Well hello, happy to hear from you, it's okay take your time we will wait until your good and ready okay.. Happy recovery welcome to the flat side . You did it.. Clap!clap!clap!
Wishing you lots of luck! You will do great and be so happy to be on the flat side!
Happy with smaller, your big day tom, I will say a prayer for you tonight okay .Try to get some sleep tonight ... I will be waiting for my reply from you that you are now on the flat side... :)
Thank-you. Hopefully I will be able to post a few "after" pictures on Friday. My PS surgical center is in a very nice hotel and so they pay for 1 night in this nice hotel after surgery. So I should be out of surgery early afternoon, we'll spend the rest of tomorrow and tomorrow night and get home sometime on Friday morning. I told my husband I wanted him to take pictures after I'm all marked up for my surgery and his response was "why"? He doesn't understand all the sharing we do on RS and would never consider taking 1/2 naked pics of himself and posting them on a website for the world to see. Gee after I say that it doesn't sound so great does it? Ha,ha I'll be posting more 1/2 naked pictures I'm sure in a couple days. Thanks again I'm excited and quite calm I believe about tomorrow.
Ok and good luck ok, no rush when you feel up to it post it. Take your time
You made a great point! I am one week post op and have decided that I not going to rush my healing and results. Thank for sharing and by the way you pics are awesome!
Aww I love your latest update about instant gratification and the LOVELY ladies here to counsel each other on our journey. Such a true and beautiful thought. Every one of us has had an emotional and physical journey to get to here, and each one of us deserves to feel better about ourselves and to feel more comfortable. Very thankful to have the support and encouragement of the women here.
Birch: We need eachother since men just don't have the emotions to understand and comfort us like we need. My husband still thinks I'm crazy to put myself thru all this expense,surgery, pain & time recooperating for something so vain. Hopefully he'll like how I look "on the flat side".
Congratulations and good luck on your TT.
Thanks, I'm sure I'll be posting along the way.
Hi, I also am 58 years old (in April) I had the surgery on Dec. 4, 2012 ... It's the worse and the very best thing I've done. It was awful right after the surgery, probably the first 6 weeks I was in misery! Now I'm loving it. I can wear anything I want ... "real" bras right off the shelves and halter tops etc ... I went from a 38 G to 38 C! I'm not real happy with the scars under my arms, but no one sees them. You look good.
ShirleyPWD :I'm extremely happy with my BR, it was also more serious and longer healing time than I expected which was my own fault I guess. I felt so good immediately I thought it would stay that way. I had some bumps along the road. It's been 5 mos. now and I couldn't be happier. The only thing the BR did was show me all the fat I have on my middle-roll after roll that I couldn't see before (I didn't look very hard either) with my 46 DDD's blocking my view. That's the reason for my TT on March 28th to remedy that problem. I'm sure as I fix one thing, I'll find something else I want to "fix". I'm already thinking about an arm lift/liposuction, thigh lift/liposuction and the list goes on & on. At "our" age things just want to sag and no amount of diet and exercise seems to help anymore. So are you all done now with plastic surgery now that you're perky? Why do you have a scar under your arm? Did the PS do liposuction under your arms or was it part of your BR to make them round? My incision is on the bottom of my breasts, nothing on the sides. I think this makes them a bit flatter but I didn't know any different and the PS didn't mention any other techniques to me. I would of liked to have him do lipo under my arms at the time so I'm wasn't so big around (46-48 C now). I mentioned doing lipo with my TT under the arm and he didn't act like he wanted to. I guess he doesn't think $11,000 is enough to do that also.
Yes, I am done ... I don't do well after I've had surgery ... lots of vomiting etc. I don't know why she went about 3" into my side. I did not have lipo, but I was hoping she would throw that in ... that never happened LOL. I'm going to start Weight Watchers as soon as we return home (we have been in Florida since Jan.1). I also have a roll that I didn't know was that big because of the large shelve blocking the view of my lap. I didn't realize the surgery was as serious as it turned out to be. I remember the next evening after the surgery I was laying in bed and asking my husband what the hell did I do to myself ... I wasn't happy for a good two weeks afterward.
I've been sick after scope down my throat, carpal tunnel & gallbladder surgery. I keep telling everyone before surgery how sick I get and they give me extra stuff to keep me from being sicker. I remember hurting and being dizzy and nauseuas after my BR. The nurse would give me more of the good drugs & I'd go back to sleep. I finally had to force myself to get up and pee so they'd let me go home that night from the hospital. Luckily with the TT I'll be staying the night at the Amway Grand Hotel (where the PS office is and so is their surgery dept) and checking in with the Drs. in the morning to make sure I'm okay before heading home. This will be nice to be able to sleep all night without having to go home. 3 days after my BR my Mom had a stroke so we headed to the hospital and then I spent the next 3-4 days there with her. I couldn't take the good drugs because I was driving and had to stay awake. I know I was miserable at night and finally remembered I had vicodin for pain and started taking them again so I could sleep. It was rough for awhile.
I know what you mean I told them I get sick to my stomach and they gave me 3 different things for that and nothing worked until Iwas so sick after surgery they gave me a shot of Benydryl in my IV. That did the trick.
I ended up in the hospital with the flu (we thought it might be my gallbladder) the day before my gallbladder scheduled surgery. After throwing up and having diarrhea all night (bless my husband who cleaned up all the messes and stayed with me) I showed up at the hospital and they gave me drugs to make it all quit-sure wish they had some of that for at home. I think I still have some zofran in the cubboard which is prescription for upset stomaches and works good if I need it after I get home.
My husband didn't want me to have the surgery so there wasn't much sympathy from him ... he was good and helped me with the drains and getting meals for the first week, but after that I was on my own. When I started this journey I just asked him for his blessing and told him he didn't have to carry the girls around and neck and should pain at times where awful.I guess at this point in my life I needed to do this for myself and not worry about what he wanted. I bless this site ... it is great to talk to people that have gone through this and now I want to pay it forward and encourage others to make the leap to the "otherside".
ShirleyPWD it's great to hear from you since you had a very similar story. This website has been such a blessing. My new RealSelf friends are encouraging me and letting me know after years of doing for everyone else that it's okay to do for myself without feeling guilty or like I have to ask for their blessings. Since my surgery is on Thursday I know my hubby will be here for me until Monday then he has farm work (hauling corn) to get done. By then I figure I'll be pass the blood clot danger and should be able to manage. I've had friends offer to come and help and will ask them if I'm still unable to get up and to the bathroom, etc. by myself.
I'm from Grand Rapids also! I just had my reduction this past Friday with Dr. Dennis Hammond :)