Cast off. Tip swollen but cute- Glendale, CA

I am like every other person here who has grown up...

I am like every other person here who has grown up hating there nose. My nose is huge and bulbous. I have been told that I have thick skin but not too bad.

The main thing that makes me nervous is that my Dr. seems a little overworked and in a hurry. But I love his results, the pictures I have seen. I met him today for my pre op and he seems confident in being able to deliver the results I want. My main concern is the swelling, most of the reviews I've read say the tip swells up bigger than before the surgery. I just really hope it doesn't get too bad since that is what I really don't like about my nose.

I am 22, have been wanting this for at least 9 years. I hope it makes me look more proportioned. Many people have asked me throughout my life if I plan on getting rhinoplasty so I know its not just me.

Please keep me updated! I'm seriously 75% considering booking my surgery for February...so I need to see as many results as I can to feel confident about my decision

Thanks so much for starting your story on RealSelf! I truly hope you have a smooth experience and love your results. Keep us posted!

Hello Lucy! I am also having my surgery on Dec. 18 with Dr. G.! We will probably be wheeled past each other in the hallway! I really think we have chosen the best surgeon in our area. Were there a lot of people in the waiting room? Maybe that's why he probably seemed to be in such a hurry. I didn't feel rushed during my initial consult, but we'll see what happens at the pre-op, which is on Dec. 5th. My neighbor had her nose done by him one year ago, and it/she look great, so I think we will be in good hands. I think you'll definitely look more proportioned afterwards. I am also concerned about swelling, but because of the holidays I have 3 weeks off so I can hide-out if I need to. I know from other reviews that we'll have to sleep with our head elevated for a week, but that doesn't bother me at all. If I have to sleep elevated for two or three months, I can do that. After the cast comes off, I will also wake up and ice my nose before getting ready for work, if it seems to help the swelling. I wonder if there are foods that naturally help with inflammation... I'll have to look that up. Anyway, try not to be scared !! You WILL end up with a smaller, more proportioned nose, and whatever swelling you have will be worth it in the end. You'll be adorable! See you on the 18th!

So less than a week to go and I feel excited, have...

So less than a week to go and I feel excited, have finals so I need to FOCUS!! but I keep coming on here and reading other peoples experiences and hoping for the best.
When I went there were two people in the waiting room but it is small in there. I am happy with him tough, he did answer a few concerns I had with realistic results. It turns our my brother in laws mother had a revision rhinoplasty with him and she is happy. I am lucky too since my job closes for three weeks during the holidays, so hopefully the rest will help with our swelling! I know pineapple and papayas have enzymes that help with the swelling, I tried to take bromolain an enzyme in pineapple but I think im allergic so I stopped. The doctor I work for suggested frozen peas in those medical gloves so it can be placed on the forehead and fingers along the nose/cheeks. See you soon! I'm scheduled to be at the hospital at 6am!
That's fantastic that you know someone who had surgery with him. Must make you feel a bit better! I like the frozen peas in the gloves idea. I think I'll do that. Lucky you to be at the hospital at 6am! I will be buried under my blankets trying not to wake up until 10. I have to be there at 11am, and I don't want to be pacing the floor, hungry and worried. Okay... 5 more days... we're gonna make it !!

So I have to be in the hospital by 6am. I am so...

So I have to be in the hospital by 6am. I am so nervous, more than I thought I would be. I had finals until today so have not really had time to prepare emotionally I guess. I have had this booked since June but it was so far away so I pushed it aside, and know it is the night before and I am SCARED! I have never had surgery before and knowing my nose is going to get broken is scary!!

Thank you to everyone who has posted their experience, if not for reading them I would not know what to expect. I am most afraid of having uneven nostrils, I know there is no guarantees and this makes me hesitant. I look in the mirror and kinda start to like my nose, but then I look at pictures and I know I want to go through with this lol.

I am also scared of looking like a pig if its too upturned. I am just thinking of the bad things and not the good which I usually do. I have bought plenty of soups and frozen foods.

I just feel a lot of anxiety toward the outcome, I pretty much know the recovery is hardest the first week but I have three weeks off so hopefully I wont have too much of a hard time. We will see how it goes!
Thinking of you! I'm guessing it's all over now and you are recovering. Looking forward to reading how it all went. Take care :)
Praying for you as we speak!!!!
Thank you! On my way now.

Had it don't yesterday at 8am, I think it was...

Had it don't yesterday at 8am, I think it was 3hours long. I woke up in horrible pain, my septum felt like it was stabbed over and over again lol. And before I went in to the OR I got this nurse that couldn't get the needle into my hand so I have three holes which made the pain start sooner than the operation. At least it is all over!!!

I haven't really been able to breathe through my nose and having to be sitting up to sleep so this is very uncomfortable for me since I usually sleep almost flat.

It's hard to tell what it looks like know but I like the tip not droopy like before. I had to change gauze a lot yesterday due to my nose bleeding, still bleeding does anyone know how long it last?
congrats!! its amazing how you barely have bruising under your eyes!!
Wow, just saw your pics! No, I don't have a long stitch like you do!
Haha yea looks scary, it's like through my septum not like on the outside. I yawned and felt it pull. Ouch!

Today is worst day so far. I took Tylenol pm...

Today is worst day so far. I took Tylenol pm because I haven't slept in two days and I actually slept which is good. My nose is still 'leaking' blood from one side and more mucus from the other. I am starting to feel nauseous and my eyes are so swollen, I am just uncomfortable and feel slight pain nothing excruciating. I don't regret it but too uncomfortable to look at my nose or think about it, I just want to feel normal again lol. My nose is taped and has a splint, which makes it look really upturned, well compared to old droopy nose. I will have to get use to all the space between my upper lip and nose, as it looks strange to me right now. But I'm looking forward to seeing it after a month or two. I have to wait until the 26th to get the splint removed, the good things is I don't have to go back to work until January 7 :)
i can somewhat tell you will be a knockout in a few weeks!
Hang in there! The first 5 days were miserable for me. You are halfway through the worst part. If I managed to get a couple hours of sleep on and off the first few nights I was lucky. I still have tape at the end of my nose that makes my nose look turned up too. I've been told things will move into place after a few months. It's day 12 for me and i'm just now feeling a lot more like myself. You'll get there soon!
Hi Lucy. Congratulations and well done for being so brave. I hope you continue to get some sleep, and the swelling goes down quickly. I like the tied together glove idea...i must remember to do that too. Take care.

So its 3 days after surgery and I have been...

So its 3 days after surgery and I have been getting nauseous lately. I have been primarily living off of crackers and water and making it my goal not to puke since I can't breathe through my nose, it already feels like I'm going to drown when I'm drinking water. My parents and boyfriend have been taking care of me, I already ran out of gauze so I needed my bf to get me some more. I have thick bloody mucus still coming out of my nose, I think it's worse at night but not sure. I took Tylenol pm last night to help me sleep and I think it's the Tylenol making me nauseous.
My cheeks are swollen so that's good, it means it's healing. I will ask my bf or dad to take pics and post them later.
I am just glad my dad is supportive, when I first told him he got angry, he is more conservative religious, but I explained to him that I needed his support and he has been awesome, my bf too because he was not happy that I was doing it but I wanted it for a long time.

The recovery is worse than I thought but not bad at all. I thought I would be ready to go to store 4 days after but I look SCARY so I'm staying home until I get the splint removed, glad I don't have any Christmas parties to go to or anything.
Hey Lucy, it could be that you really do need to puke. That happened to me and I felt so much better after. Glad you have the support of your bf and dad - that makes is much better!
Thank you, I feel so ugly right now!!
Yea today I feel a little better than yesterday, I'm thinking the bruising has reached its peak. My nose is itchy though! You nose is so pretty and straight! I'm hoping I got have any bumps or anything.

Day 5 post op. Swelling getting lower on face. I...

Day 5 post op. Swelling getting lower on face. I feel better, more back to normal. My nose still is dripping blood/mucus mix but it is decreasing in amount. I finished the antibiotics which is good because I won't have to wake up in the morning to take them. My nose is getting itchy, at night i went to touch it semi conscience and my eyes started tearing up and it hurt!! The worst is over! (i hope) i have plastic in my norstil along my septum and it looks stitch in there. It just looks painful to remove!!

Day 5 post op. Swelling getting lower on face. I...

Hi Lucy, I wonder what the plastic thing is for? I'm not familiar with it. Can you breathe out of your nose at all? I'm glad your bruises are disappearing ~ you are going to look gorgeous with your new nose!
Thank you! Your looking good too! No breathing yet, my nose is stuffed and still leaking. I think it's holding my straight. It's stitched to my septum it looks like I have one on each side. Can you breathe out of your nose yet?
Do you have a tube up your nose? I had them up each nostril and the doctor stitched them to the inside of my nose to keep them in place. I was not looking forward to having them taken out however I have to say it was painless when he did it. He sprayed a liquid numbing agent and i couldn't feel a thing. Hang in there, you are halfway through!

Day 6 post op and I still have to wait two more...

Day 6 post op and I still have to wait two more days for splint removal. I hate the feeling if it, my nose is taped underneath so it feels so tight and my face also has tape. Nose still leaking mucus with a slight red tint to it but mostly clear but it's definitely a lot less than before. Bruising and swelling almost gone and I don't feel pain other than the sting I feel when my stitches get pulled. My doctor is really busy so instead of getting my splint removed in 5-7 days i have to wait 8. I know not a huge difference but its another full day of this uncomfortable cast and looks when i walk my dog. As long as i like my nose this will all be worth it, it is hard to tell what it looks like and the splint is uneven so my nostrils look uneven.
Hi Lucy, Thank you for writing your experience. It helped me not be so nervous the day I went in for mine. I am 1 day behind you post-op. I also had a lower eye blepharoplasty (skin pinch) & fat transfer. Can't wait for the bruising & swelling to finally subside to look decent in public. Its started fading slightly yesterday. I had an open nose surgery & the tip where it is cut stings/burns most of the time. Is Tylenol PM cutting it for you or are you still taking vicodon? I'm trying to cut back more & more.
I have the extra strength Tylenol and it is working! Each is 500mg I usually take one wait half an hour and then take another if I need it. My septum stings once in a while where the stitches are but the Tylenol helps.
Mine really does too. And I'm a total baby with any pain. :) It is manageable, but some relief does help. I'll try your trick of spacing them apart. Thanks & hope you are having a great holiday. ;)

I finally got the splint removed about an hour ago...

I finally got the splint removed about an hour ago. I like it already just the tip is really swollen I hope it goes down a lot. I have to tape it at nights and I have an appointment to go in to see doctor in two weeks. While I was there there were about 5 people maybe 6 getting their splint removed too! He does a lot of rhinoplasties, so that is good!
Wow your nose looks great! : ) I was looking at Dr Grigoryants website and I love his before and afters! I live in Nor Cal but so far I really like what I see with him. I'm wondering though did he perform a closed rhinoplasty on you? I have heard that that is usually not as good as an open but looking at all of his results with closed I'm wondering why.
Thank you! Yes I had closed and he prefers closed. It's really up to the surgeons skills. Open is easier for them but longer healing time for the patient and I read the tip droops more with open rhinoplasty. I was more uncomfortable during my healing and only had stitches inside my nose. I thought I had stitches through my septum but I was wrong, they just held both plastic pieces that were stabilizing my septum but he took them out today, painless and quick! He is really busy but I am glad I went with him because he definitely has a lot of experience and I do love the new shape of my nose!
Looks really great Lucy! And you know it will just get more defined as the swelling continues to go down. My doctor told me that in 2-3 months 80% of the swelling will go down then over the course of the 1st yr it will finish going down. I am now 7 days post-op. My doctor is out of town for the holidays, but I have another post-op with him next Monday, 12/31. That is when I will have my splint removed. He said I could take it off with water if I wanted to tomorrow or Friday, but said if I can wait, just wait for him. It is starting to drive me crazy, but I also have 2 small children & think I need the extra protection in the meantime. :) Anyway, love seeing your results. You look fabulous!

So the tip is swollen to about twice its size...

So the tip is swollen to about twice its size since the splint the removal, I did a lot of shopping get yesterday so that probably did not help. I have to sleep slightly elevated about 30 degrees in order to get all the swelling in my face and nose to go away. I am happy with the results from what I saw yesterday. One nostril is slightly bigger than the other but that's probably due to swelling.

The funniest thing is that my bf was upset and not very supportive when I told him I wanted to do this. He did take care of me and during his lunch he would come home to walk the dog so he has been great. Now he keeps looking at me saying my nose looks great! Worth It! I need to remember I was looking for an improvement and not perfection. But I think it is as close to perfect as a doctor can get and it is a HUGE improvement!! My bf says I haven't looked this happy and a while, I just feel more confident. I use to be called squidward in school and that's what I always thought of when I saw my face in the mirror, now I love looking!
Hi Lucy. Sounds like you are doing good. :) I was wondering if there are pros and cons to doing closed rhinoplasty instead of open? Do you know anything about that? I am still really interested in Dr. Grigoryants and want to know more about him. ;)
Hey Lucy, I sent you a private message...
You are looking amazing! I have surgery with dr. G in 4 weeks so I'm sure ill be asking you lots of questions!!!

It's about 12 days post op and from the front its...

It's about 12 days post op and from the front its really swollen and I love the profile. i am happy overall i loved it after the splint was removed and it got swollen. I knew it would. But cute and smaller than before. I feel more confident
:-)
How do you feel today with results? I'm taking my daughter for a consult for revision next Saturday and would love to hear some feedback
Congrats! Any update??
Updated picts would be great!
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon

I found him online and loved his before and after pictures.