Don't Have High Hopes for Acne Scars

I had acne that flared up during late college. It...

I had acne that flared up during late college. It was initally treated with Accutane, but it left deep scars on my cheeks. I went to my dermatologist for Botox and when I was there, he recommended Fraxel for the acne scars. I did a lot of research and decided to go through with it. I saw before and after pictures of the nurse consulting me on it, as she had had similar acne scars. Her skin looked perfect after the treatment. She said she couldn't show me any other before and after pics because of HIPPA laws.

One thing I wish I had been prepared for more was the pain. Granted, I don't have a high tolerance for pain, but this was easily the most painful thing I have ever been through. They put a numbing cream on my face and let it sink in for about 45 minutes. They also had a fan blowing on my face to alleviate some of the heat. The only way I can describe it is that it feels like a red hot fireplace poker being dragged over your face. I seriously was worried I would have scars from the heat. The worst places were around the hairline, jawline, and above the lip. For my future treatments, I asked them to continue the numbing cream into my hairline--I didn't care, I would just wash my hair later.

After the first trial, my face swelled up to where I was almost unrecognizable. My face got very red and peeled a lot. I'm a teacher, and I'm very glad I did this on a 3 day weekend because there is no way I could have gone to class the next day. I also had to bring moisturizer with me and reapply it several times during the day.

But I figured, "No pain, no gain," and continued with 4 more treatments. We did scale back the laser intensity on the second trial because the pain was so bad from the first.

At the fifth and last trial, the technician advised me that they might have to do a few more trials to have it be completely effective. This confused me a bit because I had initially been told that 5 "for sure" would be enough. I figured I would wait and see the results from the first set of trials.

It has been about 6 months now and I see minimal, if any, improvement. I purposely didn't tell anyone but my husband, and nobody, including family and close friends, have told me they see anything different. I understand it has worked for some people with acne scars, but it seems to be hit-or-miss. For me, it didn't work.

I just wouldn't recommend them for Fraxel on acne scars.

what was the name of the place you went to get it done
I have serious acne-scar around my cheeck bone and around my temporal bone (looks like I was shot with a bb- gun)I hate to go out because the cover-up make it more noticeable- need suggestions if Fraxel will work for me!
I just had ice-pick acne scars on my temple and on my chin filled in with Radiesse. You can feel the dermal filler under the skin, but the appearance is amazing. Radiesse is malleable so your derm can shape it to fit the depression.
I'm so sorry you were dissappointed with your treatment! I just had my first treatment and mine is for acne scarring as well. I may have to have 4-5 treatments. Did you get tiny bumps on your face? I was warned about them and now I'm getting a few. I'm hoping I will get at least a 50 percent improvement~
I suffered acne as an adolescent which heal din my adulthood and left scarring on my forehead. After my first Fraxel treatment (i decided to start Fraxel treatments for my wedding) I have now fully broken out into acne and i am extremely worried. before treatment i had acne scars which weren't extremely noticeable and now I have the scars PLUS my old acne back. I am extremely worried and very disappointed.... i personally cannot think of many things worse then worrying about pimples on my wedding day and thanks to Fraxel this is now a serious concern..... I am now taking minomycin and have another treatment booked for next week.... If i had been made aware that my acne could potentially flare up agian there is no way I would have gone through with the treatments.