Breast Reduction and Lift - Franciscan Plastic Surgeons

I am 48 years old and for more than 10 years my...

I am 48 years old and for more than 10 years my breast has caused me pain and illness. I have PCOS and am a diabetic and have thyroid disease. With these health issues my weight was fluctuating drastically. I went from skinny to fat and in all that time my breast just kept growing and getting heavier.
I went to a cardiologist because My doctor and I thought I was having heart problems. The cardiologist suggested, after determining that my heart is healthy, that my breast could be the problem. It wS then when I thought that maybe they were also the cause of my extreme headaches. I had headaches every single day for years.
I also started experiencing frozen shoulders and numbing in my hands.
Being that I lost my insurance and was struggling on unemployment, I just took Tylenol and figured that I would have to live like this forever and that as a diabetic I would never be able to have an "elective" surgery.
Well, thanks to wonderful doctors, I was able to get my diabetes under good control and my doctor said, she would okay me to have surgery the opportunity came to me. I tried physical therapy first and it didn't help at all. It made it worse. My PT said that as long as I had the weight of my breast that I wasn't going to benefit from physical therapy.
My primary care physician referred me to my surgeon. I had my consultation on 4/21/14 and on 4/23/14 I received the call that insurance had approved my surgery!! It never happens that fast normally and I was ecstatic. Dr Cohen had an opening and I jumped at it and scheduled my surgery for 5/6/14.
I scheduled a mammogram and ultra sound and had that done a day or two later and went in and did lab work and within a week I was on the table and it was great! I didn't have any complications and am healing great.
At the 10 week mark I started using Bio oil and I apply not twice a day, otherwise I didn't use anything, but, plain old water. No soap at all. I didn't get dry or itchy skin.
My biggest issue was my super sensitive nipples, which is okay now. I am still experiencing a little swelling, I believe because they still seem to be changing in little ways.
Having my breast reduction what's made me healthier and I no longer take Tylenol everyday. I have experience no headaches, at all, due to my neck or back pain. I also now sleep through the night.
If there was anything I would tell someone who goes through this is not to think that it is an exact science. There is no guarantee as to what your breast size will be. Most surgeries take about 2 hours and mine was more than 5! I have 2 friends who had it done and they both ended up with complications and infections. Follow your doctors orders and you'll end up with beautiful results. Be smart when selecting your doctor.

Bra shopping

So excited to shop for bras now! My breast are settled and I am happy to announce I a C cup. I thought a D is where I was at, but, not a single D cup bra fit me.
It's funny because I know the cup size is basically irrelevant, but, prior to my BR I hated that I couldn't even buy a bra at JCPenney let alone Victoria's Secrer because they didn't carry GG and H cup bras. I had to pay $90 per bra and the styles were limited because appearance was sacrificed to function.
Today I bought cute and sexy bras and there were only 2 hooks in back and had skinny straps.
I am really loving my breast even more!!
(14 weeks post op)

Cup size is IRRELEVANT!

Let me start by saying I LOVE MY BREAST! I am very happy with the results of my breast reduction and happy, that for me, it was positive every step of the way. I'm stronger than I think when it comes to managing pain and being patient (patience is not easy for me) with letting my body heal in it's own time.
I have to say I was focused pro op and post op as to what size my bra would be. It doesn't matter. At all.
Since my surgery I have tried on many bras and have purchased a few. I have bought 36C, 36D and 38DD!
Cup size doesn't matter! They ball for the same. Just different manufacturers. I remember when I was in my teens being excited when I wore a bigger bra size than some of my friends (like that made me more if a woman...hahaha) well I got caught up in wanting to wear a smaller cup size after my reduction. Silly thinking on my part. The truth of the matter is...I am absolutely satisfied with my breast the size that Dr Cohen made them. Size really is irrelevant. I no longer have any back pain or numbness in my arms or fingers and my headaches have gone and my breat look good.
Dr Michael Cohen

I researched for more than a year different doctors and looked up reviews and used RealSelf as a tool for information and selected Dr Cohen and he exceeded my expectations. I had 100% trust in his qualifications and skill and experience. He prepared me well and is a specialist who made me feel very comfortable. He is a great doctor. I had a concern about my incision one evening and called and I actually spoke to him! It's rare now days to get such personal care, usually it would be an anonymous nurse. I appreciated that very much. Also another good quality is how efficient the office is run with easy scheduling and timely appointments. I was never stuck waiting around or rushed through my appointments. I am very happy with my whole experience.

Hi hun! You look SO happy - that's awesome! By the way, I know you are probably still swollen a bit, but your bra is probably a bigger cup - as the middle part (the Gore) has to lay flat against the skin in between the breasts! When you are finished with the recovery, go get yourself professionally measured - at an actual lingerie shop with a qualified measurer! I would say you are about 36 F - it's the band that is the determining factor! As in if you are 42E your cup is smaller than a 36E! I wore a 46H for YEARS - I thought 1 huge boob was the best I could do!!! LOL I got professionally measured and I was a 38/40 M!! Which is almost the same really (cup size goes down with the increase in band - and vica versa)!
Wow!! You look GOOD!! Your Dr. did an awesome job!! I know what you mean Rlroyal1, there is NO WAY I miss my old breasts, I LOVE my new size!! Congrats again hon!!
Amen to cup size being irrelevant. So many people get really hung up on it.
CONGRATULATIONS on no more pain! Looking forward to that myself! I'm struggling with missing the girls! Does that make sense to you - or am I nuts!!! LOL After having enormous boobs for 36 years, it's daunting and a bit distressing that some of them are being taken away. How do you feel about that?
I wanted to go even smaller because I use to be a perfect B (in my very early 20's) but I wanted to feel good and look great. From the moment I looked down at them I LOVED their size! I in no way miss my old breast. They're so much firmer and higher and I hadn't realized how much better they look now in my tops. I can't explain how it feels that I love my body now. It has made me feel like I want to improve the rest of me and I am.
I never felt right with massive boobs. I feel much more me post BR
You look amazing. Great results!
They look fantastic! Interesting about your headaches and great that you're not getting them anymore you must be happy!
Opphs Forgot I had 4 neck surgerys 2 of which were FUSIONS and three lumbar surgerys !!!!
COngratulations I to haD PCOS Thryroid Diabetic Insulin Resistant and OA osteoarthritis and Fibromyalgia My thyroid specialist said PCOS messes with hormones so usually people with it have Big Breast I waited till after I had menapause to have mine they grow more then. I also have DDD degenerative disc diease and facet joint arthritis So glad you are on the other side of things