Still So Glad I Did It: 7 Months Later! - Folsom, CA

Well ladies....it's taken me 7 months to get to...

Well ladies....it's taken me 7 months to get to the point where I felt comfortable sharing photos along with my story. I have corresponded with many of you and read most of your stories. I found this site prior to my explant which was May 9, 2012. Many of you gave me a voice to explain exactly how I was feeling with implants......so, now it is my turn to share and hopefully help another woman out there that is struggling with the decision to explant.

I have always been small chested...maybe a full 32A during my youth. I wasn't overly self-conscious of my small breasts....they certainly fit my slight build and I loved that I didn't have any issues with them getting in the way of anything like some of my friends who were naturally VERY busty. My breasts served me well and successfully nursed two children over a year each...no problems with milk production from my teeny-weenies!! I actually quite liked their size when I was nursing...I could actually wear a 32-34 b/c bra for once! My husband and I decided that we were definitely done having kids when my youngest was about 3 years old. After surviving the "baby years" I decided I wanted to treat myself to breast augmentation (which I had thought about for years post nursing)..as my once youthful 32A's were quite "drained" and definitely deflated, what little was left!

My husband and I have been married for 16 years now, and he was supportive either way. He just wanted me to feel comfortable with myself, however that might be. I thought about it for another year, talked with quite a few work friends who had recently had implants and finally went for a consultation. My experience with my surgeon and staff was wonderful....very caring and supportive of my desire to have a fuller breast again. I told him I would love to have the boobs like I had when I was nursing...except without lactating!

So....during my Thanksgiving break of 2010 I had 300cc silicone high profile implants placed under the muscle. As you all know....the healing process takes some time! Yikes....my surgery went well and as expected, but I didn't realize how physically limited I would be over the next few months.
Fast forward....after 4-6 months...I started feeling more normal in my everyday routine. I was back at the gym, working in our garden, lifting my kids again....life was good. And my surgeon had given me exactly what I wanted...size was good for my frame, they settled well...and I could finally fill out a size small top!---I enjoyed the novelty of them...and so did my husband!---let's not lie!

I never had any complications, but after a year or so....I was still so "aware" of them all of the time. I think because they were under the muscle and I had very little tissue left, it bothered me to feel them moving when I was working out, or anytime I had to flex my pec muscles. Also, I would get strange "twinges" which were sometimes uncomfortable after working out. But, I became more self-conscious when I would hug someone....felt as if there was a ball between me and the other person....really didn't like that!!...too, I started to not sleep comfortably with them....I would sleep on my side or stomach and wake up aching. I kept all of these "inconveniences" to myself for the next few months thinking I just needed to get used to them. The best way to explain how I felt, was that I was always just "aware" of them....we even celebrated our 15 year anniversary in Maui...and I could never get over feeling self-conscious in my own skin with the implants in.--i just didn't want to admit it to myself.

Then one night I was on the internet and randomly read an article by Heather Morris the actress who plays Brittany on "Glee." She had rather small implants like myself, but just didn't like that she felt uncomfortable/pain while dancing with implants....and dancing brought her much joy!! It had never occured to me that removal was an option. Then my google search began....and I found this forum. What a blessing! Over the next few months I researched and read about explanting women like crazy!... and I felt so comforted to find that so many women out there were feeling just like me! I started to yearn for small breasts again...funny, huh?! I had a hard time with feeling like I had wasted money on implants that I didn't even really want/need anymore. I worked really hard, with the help of many of you women on this forum, to forgive myself for spending the money and altering my body....I needed to move on and chalk it up to a very expensive learning experience!

I met with the surgeon who did the augmentation and was extremely nervous that I would be made to feel crazy or stupid to undue a clearly good surgical outcome. Fortunately, I was supported by my surgeon. After listening to my story, he concurred that I would probably be more happy with a straight explantation instead of a replacement with a smaller implant. Whew!!
I knew that the decision to explant was right for me....but of course questioned myself brutally a few days before the actual surgery.

The explantation was quick and easy. I was awake for the whole procedure (with a little relaxer in my IV)...and talked with my surgeon before, during, and after. I was elated after the procedure to finally be done with the implants. I actually still have them....they asked me if I wanted them...and oddly I said yes....a souvenir of sorts!

I explanted through the original scar at the areola and left with a tight ace bandage wrapped around me for the next few weeks. At my week follow-up and removal of steri strips/stitches, it looked as if my right side was still "taped up" a bit. I was told to gently start massaging. Unfortunately...I never do anything halfway, so I massaged too much and caused some fluid accumulation in one side....so back in the tight sports bra and ace bandage for the remainder of the month.

I have just had my 6 month follow-up and discussed options to release my "tethered" scar on the right side. My surgeon doesn't think additional massaging at this point will make a ton of difference. The scar revision should be pretty straight forward, and he would like to harvest 15-20cc fat to transfer to prevent the tissue from adhering again. I would need to gain a bit of weight over the holidays to help out with this. Did I mention that I am a dietitian?--yikes! So, I am still on the fence if I want to spend yet more money on my boobs!---my surgeon has waived all of his fees for both the original explantation and now the scar revision....but I will still be out another $1500 to pay for the operating room/staff...to fix a scar. I think I will wait another month or so and see how it looks...and get through the business of the holidays :).

At the end of the day.....I am so happy to just be me again!!---the best feeling in the world is to hug my kids and not feel like something is coming between us!...working out, sleeping, feeling comfortable in clothes/bathing suits again....and just being "me" again....the "me" that God created........ALL worth it!!!--scars and all :)

Well...I did it! I had my right areola tethered...

Well...I did it! I had my right areola tethered scar revised today! I am crossing all of my fingers and toes that this does the trick and I am DONE thinking about my boobs!!!! My doctor continues to be supportive and I trust his surgical judgement. My procedure was fast and done under conscious sedation, just like the explant so that I was relaxed, but awake the whole time. I was able to gain a little weight over the holidays, enough for him to harvest and reimplant after her removed the scar tissue, in an attempt to prevent the tethering again , and fill out the lower pole to match my left breast. So far I am feeling just fine...a little sleepy, but am going to attempt to go to work tomorrow as well. I am hoping this journey is almost over for myself. I am glad to be myself....still 8 months later! I will post pictures in a week after bandage and stitches are removed. Off to take a nap :)

Hello ladies-thought I'd add a few pictures and...

Hello ladies-thought I'd add a few pictures and update after the scar revision. The pictures were taken at one month after the revision. I am glad that I had the scar revision, as it was very straight forward, quick, and again under conscious sedation, without any unpleasant side-affects. I am happy to report that I am back to my normal life again! I feel like I can enjoy being active again without feeling constrained by the implants....and even better I love hugging my kids without feeling a foreign object between us. I had my month follow-up recently and my surgeon is overall pleased, as am I, with the outcome. The scar isn't perfect...only time will tell if it will improve even more, but it is certainly better than before. My surgeon continues to be supportive of my decision to explant and in a way thanked me for helping him to understand why implants aren't for all women. I know a lot of women out there just love their implants, I unfortunately wasn't one of them. I told him I certainly wasn't opposed to a slightly fuller breast....but didn't like the feel of the "foreign object" in me.....I'd love a little extra good 'ole fashioned fat in my boobs!!...but oh well!....that's just not how I was made. I actually took my implants out of the bag that was given to me after the explant for the first time in almost a year.....strange now to think that those were inside of me! I have often wondered if circumstances had been different and I had never had the implants.....would I still be pinning for them??...probably! So, I may have needed to go on this expensive journey to learn more about myself and what is ultimately more valuable to me.....to feel confident in my own skin, hug freely, sleep restfully, and move comfortably!!---all more valuable than a 32D :)

thanks for sharing! I had the same experience as far as uncomfortable twinges and the hugging thing- I want to get mine taken out, but can't afford it yet... maybe in a few years, and we probably will have 1 or 2 more kids, don't want the surgery/recovery to interfere with potential pregnancies. You look beautiful! :)
Thanks! I still return to this site often to hear of other women's journey's and self actualization...that we are "made in his image."--love it! I am still so much more comfortable with the implants out....still wish I had never gone through with it in the first place (money, time, risk, scars...etc)...but I have learned a lot about myself in the last few years and am stronger because of it.
thank you for your review. I am only 7 weeks post op and already thinking about explanting. I'm having so many post op problems (rib pain, nerve pain, arm pain, nerve damage, back pain) and feeling like having boobs just isn't worth all of this trouble. The nerve damage may be permanent even after explant, but I won't know unless I take them out. I am also in Folsom. If you don't mind me asking, who did your explant? If you dont' want to post on the public forum, can you PM me? Was your capsule removed? Thanks for your story, now all I want is to be me again and I hope with an explant I can get there again. My boobs look beautiful, but looks aren't everything.
I'm not in Folsom, but in the Placerville area. I had my explant by Dr. Amy Wandel. She's with the Mercy group and her main PS office is on Sunrise. I'm just a little over two months so it's still too early to tell if I'll want a lift or not. My Dr. says I should wait 6 to 9 months to see. I just had my explant, nothing else done.
I just sent you a private message, but forgot to mention that I did not have my capsules removed....as I had no problems with the implants and I had only had them in for 1 1/2yrs. Hope this helps!
Hey , just curious. I have a consult with Amy Wandel in July. I am thinking seriously about a breast reduction. Would you recommend her? Thanks, Deb A
Congrats on your "journey"-I too, can relate to that comment. I had my implant removal just today & still have a way to go to acceptance. I'm glad we have this forum to go to! :)
Congrats!!...hoping you are resting and taking care of yourself :)
Thanks for posting follow-up pics of the revision- it worked beautifully! Did the PS say how long the fat would last? Also, did you feel the scar 'pulling' before the revision, and is that feeling is gone now?
Hi NervousGirlie!--thanks for the support...every day seems to get better and look/feel more normal to me. My surgeon said that by 6 weeks you should know how much of the fat took versus being reabsorbed by the body. I think most of mine stuck around....but I had very little transferred....just enough to avoid the scar tethering again. I wish I had a lot more to transfer :).....oh well! I have never felt the scar pulling while the muscle is at rest....if I flex my pec muscle...I can still get the breast to raise up a bit...kinda freakish!--but it isn't bothersome. I believe that's just because that muscle was cut for the augmentation. Happy healing!!
You look wonderful! So glad your revision worked out for you. I got 3 consults for mine; will have to pay another 750$ to do both under local. After seeing yours, I'm pretty confident about doing it now. Thank you for posting and your bravery!
Thanks nervousamy!!...btw...you look great!! But I completely understand about wanting to get the scar fixed....I knew no one could see it (hubby didn't seem to care!)...but I wanted to do it for myself....hang in there!
I think you look beautiful, and cute in your clothes! Love the bathing suit top too. Thanks for sharing your story on here =)
Thanks Natural Liv!!! I love the bathing suit too!--can't wait to give it a go soon!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts; they're quite beautiful. I'm was explanted a week ago tomorrow and I'm very happy with my decision.
Wait, if today is Wednesday, and it is, I was explanted a week ago today. Boy I must still be knocked out. One of these days I'm going to post a couple of photos. Take care everyone. PS I'm so tickled pink that I explanted.
JudithD23---so happy for you that you made the decision to explant!! Take care of yourself!
You look wonderful and the way you feel about the journey...beautiful. Thank you for sharing our story. Continued healthy healing to you!
Thanks for your kind words!! Looks as if your surgery is coming up...hope you are finding peace with your decision...you're almost there!
Oh yes, I have no doubts about explant. I am hopeful that my health will improve. I started my Recovery Support Program supplements today....that makes it feel like it's close. I scheduled my surgery in February and it felt like a long time now it's less than 2 weeks. It has been so comforting to have this forum to help me through my journey. Thank you for your support.
You look perfect xx
Thanks!!!!!!
I soooo agree with your comments. Especially about if you were pinning for them if you had not had it done. unfortunately your/our journeys are expensive ones but when we reach the end of that journey--it was well worth it!!! I absolutely HATED the feel of the implants in me--i really am disgusted by them and now i dont understand how any surgeon would want to encourage any small breasted women to consider implants--to me it is soooo wrong. All women need is to be supported through their insecure times-- through talking and even counselling. Maybe if i had had the opportunity to of discussed the reasons why i wanted the implants and for someone professional to serious discuss the implications then would i of gone on this journey???----NO! I CANT WAIT to get the voda swim bikini too. YOu look FAB in it!!!. Scar revision looks much better. Do you need to have the other brest done or was there tethering on both? Did you have to pay for this revision? Lots of soft, implant free hugs to you!
Well Said!! Hmmm, then again, I don't think you will be getting that referral from any PS I know of!! Sadly, my PS did not understand why I didn't want to re-implant, and at my followup after explant was surprised that I actually had plenty of breast tissue for a lovely B+ size! It was a hasty, "okay, you look fine" visit with a make a 6 mo followup appt! Allllrrriiighttty, then!! Oh, well. I am happy and don't care really what anyone thinks anymore! But what an opportunity he missed in bringing another whole faction to his practice! Women who want to explant, lift only, etc. ^shrug^ :) Love the bathing suit! You look fabulous!
Thanks Reed!!!! I only had tethering on the right side....the left is just saggy ;)....but they are all me now....every little tiny bit! Lots of soft, implant free hugs right back to you :)