Banded in 2006 Haven't Regretted It Yet! - Federal Way, WA

My highest weight was 265 (I'm 5'5) and I was only...

My highest weight was 265 (I'm 5'5) and I was only 25. I was so unhappy and so so unhealthy and dieting just wasn't getting me there. I chose to have a lap-band placed 11/2006 and it was the best decision I ever made. I was out of the hospital within hours and back to work the next week. I lost the first 60 or so pounds within the first year and slowed down after that. I had three fills altogether and haven't needed an adjustment since 2008. That's when I realized I could finally start moving again. I started running and hiking and the weight kept coming off but slower. I am now 115 pounds down and within 5-10 pounds from my goal weight, about to undergo surgery to have my excess skin taken off my tummy and a breast lift/augmentation. I don't know if I'll always have the lap-band, but I'm so glad to have it had it for these first several years, it's changed my life.

Dr. Oh

He was a skilled surgeon but spent very little time with me. His assistant surgeon was Dr. Srikanth and he was awesome and I highly recommend him through the St Francis Center for weight loss. Dr. Oh has since retired. Ps I tried to give him a lower rating but couldn't adjust the stars on my iPad!

Congratulations!!! You are awesomely amazing! Great job & much healthier you! You have definitely encouraged me even more! Your soooooo gorgeous! I am 7 weeks post op, feeling great, can't wait to get there! I had a great experience & was also back to work in week. I have lost 30 pounds & go for adjustm
2nd adjustment tomorrow. Very excited for this journey! Hope your feeling better from your last surgery! Please stay in touch & keep us posted! Great job! Happy for you!
Did your insurance pay for the lap band and tummy tuck? You look great!
I wish! I was self-pay for both procedures. Thank God for my dad, who paid for the lap-band and then seven years later, co-signed for the care credit so I could have my mommy makeover. Thank you!

I am in the begining stages of research for the lap band how quickly do you lose the weight?

Hi there momboys4,

We have a Weight Loss Surgery page, which has a Lap Band guide that I think you may find useful. Take a look at it and hopefully it will answer some of your questions!

Totally depends on you, everyone is different. I personally lost 18 pounds before my surgery even happened, thanks to the liquid diet I had been on for three weeks prior. I think I lost about 60 pounds altogether in the first eight months or so. I hovered around 70 pounds down for several years until finally I lost an additional 30 pounds in the last three years or so. It's been 7 years and I'm still 10-15 pounds from goal. For me, I got so close to my goal weight and became so healthy, the goal itself stopped being so important. I think I realized that ultimately, being healthy was the real goal, and I've achieved that.
I am thinking of having this done and just wondering what kind of side effects if any you've had?
The surgery and recovery was easy. I was back to work the next week. The only issue I had was the clear liquid diet I was required to be on afterward. I found that I wasn't getting enough calories and it was making me weak and dizzy. They let me start on full liquids early because of this and everything was fine. An on-going problem was pb'ing (productive burping) and that is strictly a result of over-eating, and causes the lap-band version of vomiting. If you don't overeat, you don't have this problem. By year 7 (about 6 months ago) I started having heart burn that wouldn't go away. I hadn't seen anyone at the lap band center in years so I finally decided to go in. They took all of the saline out of my band (which I needed to do anyway as I was about to have a tummy tuck) and within 12 hours or so, the problem was gone. So this probably means my band had slipped and by taking the fill out, it was able to slip back in place. I have not gone back in for a fill and I don't plan to. I have no restriction now and I don't feel that I really need it as I have developed good habits and can lose weight without the help of my band. I am at about 150 pounds and within 10 pounds of my goal.
i 2 had lab band and just got tt good luck
u look good i 2 had lab band, just had tt done to good luck keep me posted
I sure will. I hve about 3 weeks 2 go and i am so looking forward to it:)
Hey little lady:) Girl you look fantastic!!! Congratulations because you are so beautiful:) I will be banded on December 18, 12 and I hope mine is as successful as yours. Again so happy for you.
Thanks Debbie! I'm so happy to hear you're doing this for yourself. It's a life changing thing, taking control of our health in the way. I wouldn't take it back for the world and now I'm one week post-op from a tummy tuck and breast lift/augmentation. I'm truly a whole new and improved me. I wish you the very best of luck and strongly encourage you to start a profile on obesityhelp.com too if you haven't already.
Thank you. No I have not done so but I will definite start one.

Wow, you look fabulous! Congrats on your results.

Thank you!

Hi there, thanks so much for sharing your journey with us! Congratulations on your weight loss, that's a huge achievement and you've done really well! I'm going to be having my own procedure (gastric bypass) in a few months and sharing other experiences is really beneficial.

I would love to see some before/after pics, if you have any you're comfortable sharing.

Absolutely! I'm on it.

Oh wow, you look awesome! Not that you looked horrible before, but you can definitely see all the hard work you've put in to it! Congratulations!

wellllll... I think I looked horrible before! Haha! Especially that close up of my face!

Nonsense! You looked fine before hand, but you definitely look happier in the after shots!

Thanks :)