Apicoectomy - Tooth #3

For the last 5 days, I've been experiencing severe...

For the last 5 days, I've been experiencing severe pain in a tooth that previously had a root canal and crown. The pain never went away after the root canal 2 years ago, however, it was not as severe as it has been the past 5 days.

I remember phone my general DDS, six months after he performed the root canal, asking if it should still hurt. He told me that it was possible for it to hurt for up to one year after the treatment. Come to find out, one root tip on the third canal was missed and there is a fourth canal that was never treated.
BOTTOM LINE---I wish I had gone to an endodontist in the first place for this root canal!

Apparently, root canals on the upper molars are an intricate process, and if not done completely or correctly, you are likely subject to am extensive re-treat (most likely NOT covered by insurance) OR an Apicoectomy, which entails an incision in the gums. a saw running through some bone, and surgical removal of the root tip/tips. All the while, laying there listening to it...sheesh!

The good news is, the gnarly nerve pain I was feeling is gone and Dr. Erickson was outstanding!

Oh my gosh, I'm sorry you had to go through that - no fun. :-/ I'm glad to hear that things are much better for you now. I'm assuming your crown had to be redone after the apicoectomy, is that correct?

Daniel Erickson

I went to Eugene Endodontics six years ago. They were amazing then, and still are. Dr. Erickson actually came straight from playing tennis on his day off, to have an emergency consultation with me, then offered to do the surgery on the spot. I'm very appreciative!