Decision Making!

Hi, so I've been looking at this site for a while...

Hi, so I've been looking at this site for a while and it's really helped me.. I was a bit dubious about putting pictures up/starting my own review, as I don't particularly want people I know in real life to find this, but I guess you have to be searching for it to come here!

Basically I've hated my nose since my early teens and I started noticing the bump on it (i've got my dads nose). I'm at a stage where I'm really self conscious about it and it's the first thing I look at in any photo. I hate my profile and 3/4 angle. I never thought rhinoplasty would be possible for me because of cost etc. but for about a year or so I've been considering it. My family and friends don't think I need it done, but can see why I want it, so I'm glad I've got that support if I do go through with it. (I'm almost sure i will, i'm just scared).

I've researched online A LOT, and in December went for a consultation with a surgeon. He was so wonderful and nice - he asked me what I wanted done and told me what was possible, he definitely put me at ease about the whole procedure at the time!

What we discussed is that he would perform a closed rhinoplasty - removing the 'dorsal hump' (breaking the bone/making the bridge narrower), take a small bit off the tip to balance out (we both agreed I didn't need much done on the tip) and he would maybe cut the muscle to stop it drooping down when I smile (something I brought up which I didn't like about my nose). The surgery would take about an hour with a one night stay in hospital, where they will take the packs out the next day.

Basically I'm at the decision making stage - it's literally all I think about. I've almost made the call to book it so many times. It doesn't help that I am terrified of needles, so the thought of going through blood tests and general anaesthesia voluntarily is stressing me out haha. I'm constantly doubting whether it will be worth it, what people will think etc.

If you could give me opinions/advice and maybe boost my confidence to book that would be much appreciated!

online, reading reviews, also it is quite near to my hometown

Hey there, I notice you haven't updated in a while, I was just wondering how everything has been, and how you've been doing on your journey? Any updates? Are you still thinking of having this procedure done? Hope you've been well! :)
I had that exact procedure that you discussed with your surgeon (check out my profile) althou my nose was much worse then yours (yours looks fine now) best thing i ever did!!
I think your nose looks great as is... save your money!
save your money..you have an unique look
I had a bad rhino more than 30 years ago with a bad result....If your nose is not that bad, then I would not touch it.. I thinik you are gorgeous as is
I adore your nose...and the bump, but it's your choice. To me there is nothing wrong with your nose. You are stunning and it doesn't droop when you smile or anything. Your choice. You have a beautiful nose :)
You are gorgeous! I finally made my decision to do it a month ago and I get my cast off tomorrow! Not going to lie its a tough decision I'm a down to earth person and just the perception of that quintessential young materialistic girl that goes out and gets a nose job, I didn't want to put my self in the same category, you know. But of corse it's not just that simple( like many other silly stereotypes) Anyway I made my decision based on a few main things 1 the length of time rhinoplasty had been in the back of my mind 2 the fact the my nose is the only thing about me I don't feel suits me and I get saddened by seeing if I look too long 3 the number of blogs i read saying they wish they would have done it sooner 4 the internal knowledge that if I had rhinoplasty I wouldn't be a different person or "fake" I would be a more proportional version of myself 5 ima look friggin cute Jk about the last one obviously but you need to really think on it and if you find peace Inside yourself with the decision you make it is the right one :) Watching YouTube vids of people going through the rhinoplasty process really helped me before making my decision so maybe the ones I made can help you out in some way http://m.youtube.com/user/biancamichelle8d That's the URL to my channel - I'm on healing day 7 and I'm going to get my cast off tomorrow :) Love and positivity to you
I agree with you on all of this! I didn't think I would ever think about having cosmetic surgery, but it's just something that really bothers me, my nose is the one thing i hate about myself, so why not? ..and is actually a pretty normal thing to have done. All of the points you make I have also thought about when deciding - I think i'm just being a bit of a scaredy cat haha Thanks, I'll be sure to check them out. Good luck with the cast coming off :)
I LOVE YOUR NOSE..DON'T TOUCH IT
pinkbevdoll, this is the third review in a row that I've seen you post nothing but the comment "Don't touch it." I'm in no way wanting to attack you here; I'm just curious as to why this is the only contribution you seem to have? This kind of comment could be helpful if perhaps you explained why you've been so opposed to the users getting this procedure. If you don't really have a constructive reason, all your comment is doing is putting unnecessary doubts into the minds of women who seem pretty certain they want to have this done. Did you have a negative experience? If so, I'm very sorry to hear that.
pinkbevdoll, I agree with sarah_tonin. It would be quite helpful if you put your reasons. To LaurenJade, only you can decide... you are lucky in that you're already so good-looking, but that makes it a tough call actually. I personally am not a fan of a bump on a woman's nose unless she desires to be seen at first glance as distinctive, strong, individualistic, and in that case a strong nose helps with that image. Having been seen as distinctive and strong for 50 years, I can tell you that sometimes it's great, but a lot of times it's not. If you prefer a softer, "feminine" look, where you can show strength and individuality in other ways, then go for it. P.S. I don't like needles either, but every day I see two kids, who are 6 and 9 years old with diabetes, who have learned to give themselves shots 3x a day. Don't let your fears hold you back.
Yes, I agree, I'm just so self conscious about the bump, I would much rather have something softer and less of a focus point. Thank you :)
I LOVE YOUR NOSE..DON'T TOUCH IT
First of all, you are one of the most BEAUTIFUL girls I've ever seen on here. I literally thought, "Wow" when I saw your first picture. :) I understand that it takes a bit of courage to put yourself out there on this forum, especially in terms of putting up your pictures. I've been posting since December (I think; maybe November?) and it wasn't until a few days ago that I finally got the nerve to unblock my eyes from all the photos and let everyone see my whole face. So, don't worry, we've all been there, and everyone here is very supportive :) And you're right, I share your same fear of people I know stumbling across my review here, but the chances of that happening are soooooo not likely. So don't worry! Also, I personally love the editing you did on the photo with that app! I think the edited photo suits you SO much :)
Wow, thank you so much :) I'm glad I decided to start this review, it's always nice to talk about rhinoplasty with people going through the same thing. After reading your profile, I really think your nose will look great afterwards! good luck! I'll be sure to keep checking your updates :)

Thanks so much for starting your story on RealSelf! You're a beauty and I agree with your friends and family: you don't need this to be pretty, but I can see why you'd like it.

The number one most important thing that will affect your results and happiness with the procedure is to make sure you've chosen the right rhinoplasty doctor for you.

Here's what some surgeons have to say about that.

Please keep us posted. This is very doable. You'll have to face needles/medical stuff for different things throughout your life, so you might as well get used to it by doing this. :)

Thank you :) Yes, you're right, I shouldn't let my fear of needles hold me back from going through with it - it's just all very daunting! and I'm very happy with my chosen surgeon, I don't really have any doubts there, he is fully certified/qualified in a private hospital, and in my case, it is quite a simple procedure so I don't have that many worries of it going wrong (maybe just the swelling afterwards)