The BEST Decision Ever Made - Edmonds, WA

As a 5'4" 55 yr old woman I decided it was time to...

As a 5'4" 55 yr old woman I decided it was time to do something permanent about my stubborn 90+ lbs. overweight most of my adult life. Didn't know the first thing about a "sleeve", but I was familiar with bypass and lap band, having friends with both procedures done and with varying success. I sort of stumbled upon the information watching YouTube videos. It was very informative to watch many, many videos (which I highly recommend) about this process and the outcomes from people of all walks of life. Without exception, everyone whose videos I watched had success without having to re-route intestines or have a foreign object in the body.
That was all I needed to make the decision, plus meeting with doctors at the U.W. Medical Center in Seattle, and finally deciding to have the procedure done at Puget Sound Bariatric Surgical Center in Edmonds, WA. The procedure was done as an outpatient and I had minimal pain for only the first two or three days.
So far, as of this writing, I have lost an average of 3 lbs per week since my surgery on July 8th, for a total of 49 lbs in three months since my high recorded weight (249) at my first appointment at the U.W. Med. Center.
I'm beyond elated, happy with the outcome! It's taken some getting used to but OH SO WORTH IT. So many changes have already taken place, beyond losing 3 clothing sizes so far. I have only the best things to say about my "team" at Puget Sound Bariatric Surgery, and Dr. Landerholm. They have a wonderful and complete aftercare program with a group of folks to ensure your success and health.
My portion (Cost is out of pocket that insurance didn't cover) was $1850, which included the aftercare appointments.

3.5 months out from VSG surgery

-50 lbs from highest weight and very happy with progress. Hoping for another 50 lbs.

Week 23 Post Op Update

Still going strong at week 23 after VSG.
Beginning highest weight: 249
Surgery day: 237
Week 23: 189 for a total loss of 60 lbs!

Update: 15 months Post-Op

I'm SO happy/thrilled that I had the VSG! I've lost approx. 80 lbs. since my highest recorded weight, 249 just before surgery. Health is great, no more achy/swollen joints. Wearing a size 10 pants, M-L tops (depending on cut). Now await a tummy tuck with muscle repair for the diastasis recti. I have a fairly large gap which will be repaired.. hoping to have the 'girls' done at the same time, but we'll see. My 18 month check up is in February 2015.
I'm still very restricted, food-wise. Have to be careful not to take one bite too many - as others have stated. I avoid certain foods, like chicken breasts... opt for less dense proteins. Still have a protein shake blended with fruit in the a.m. so I get my first 30 grams right away. I try to stay between 80-100 grams per day. Dining out: shared plate with my hubby. Choose wisely... try to limit desserts to small (shared) amounts. Fill up on 'good' stuff first!
My weight has stayed between 169-171 for the last 4 months or so, I think I've hit my set point. I'm not a real exerciser and walking is my main activity. This may change as I need to get that next 10-15 lbs off, ideally. I'm not very worried or upset about it - happy to be where I am right now!
Dr. Landerholm

Professional, super, knowledgeable, listens carefully to all concerns and answers every question without hesitation. He gives you all the information and never once did I feel he was in a hurry - he was relaxed and had a good sense of humor, too. I felt very secure in his experience and level of expertise. His team is equally good. They are wonderful!