Fraxel 5 Years Ago - Edgewater, MD

I have Fraxel over five years ago, in a series of...

I have Fraxel over five years ago, in a series of five treatments. I have read many of the negative responses and all I can say is mine was fine but I did a LOT of research.

Here are a few tips - Don’t go to a Medispa, this is a laser, don’t let anyone but a doctor use it on you. Make sure they have LOTS of experience with the laser. Just because they are a doctor does not mean they are experienced. They can turn the laser up too high and cause scarring.

There are three types of Fraxel treatments, each progressively more serious with potential side effects, make sure you understand these levels and accept the risks that go with them.

I had Fraxel almost 6 years ago, 4 treatments. The...

I had Fraxel almost 6 years ago, 4 treatments. The old Fraxel where you had to put the blue dye on your face. I had great results as someone in my late 30’s who had abused tanning and tanning beds for most of my life my face looked 10 years older than it was (at least 10 years…). Now there is Fraxel Re:store (not Re:pair which is an ablative laser and much more severe) which I may get 1 follow-up treatment.

The best advice I can give based on my experience is below:

- Research your doctor as it pertains to Fraxel, not what he does in other areas. This means no matter how you trust him in his area of expertise he needs to have experience with this – at least 75-100+ patients on Fraxel. Spend as much time doing this as you would buying a car...;
- Fraxel is a laser, ask how they manage the maintenance of the machine;
- Make sure the physician or physician’s assistant does the procedure, not an aesthetician or nurse;
- Don’t look for a “bargain” with prices, this is looking for trouble. Most physicians who offer bargains do not perform the procedure themselves and this may lead to trouble. A good doctor doesn’t need to discount his price to attract patients;
- If you get cold sores in the sun you must take antiviral medications the night before and several days after laser, get a prescription from your doctor prior to Fraxel;
- Don’t slather on heavy petroleum based things after the procedure. Some people are ok while many others develop “milia” or bad acne. I used Kinerase cream after my procedures because my physician recommended it, it is non-comedogenic. Yes, it is expensive but if you are paying all this money don’t shortcut your aftercare, start using sunscreen during the day right away, your skin is very vulnerable now;
- Ice, ice, and more ice (masks are on Amazon or try frozen peas). Sleep sitting up the first night and yes you will swell. Get this done on a Friday if possible. Stay away from salt the two days prior and two days after;
- Afterward forget about tanning your face ever again. A 40+ sunscreen will be needed daily. I prefer Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Liquid Daily Sun Protection 55 because again, it is non-comedogenic.

Sorry, above is typo...I had 5 (five) treatments...

Sorry, above is typo...I had 5 (five) treatments not 4. I would not let me correct.

Well after six years since the last sessions I...

Well after six years since the last sessions I wanted a single session or two of Restore. It is for discoloration more than wrinkles.

Spent several months looking around for a new doctor (my old one was no longer available). Found a great doctor in the area and laser is all they do, they have a lot of them.

Only the doctor or physicians assistant are allowed to use the machine. They actually see patients whose faces have been damaged by other people using lasers improperly, which is one reason I chose them. One person had terrible burns on their throat from improper use of IPL and had driven four hours to see them.

The session was fast. No longer do you have to put the blue stuff on your face. It is still painful, I won’t lie but it goes much more quickly. Just as before my face was red for our 24 hours and swelled for about 48 – that was with using ice packs. Now it has the rough “fine-grade” sandpaper feel that I got the first time around. This flakes of in about four days.

Overall I am VERY happy with the practice and my post-laser results which thus far are the same as before.

Dr. Ross VanAntwerp & Amy Collier Board Certified Physician Assistant

Updated on 19 Mar 2011:Dr. has retired. Going to a new one. Found Dr.VanAntwerp after several months of looking.