Hair Transplant Disaster - Dr. Marina Pizarro

I had two surgeries with Dr. Marco Barusco that...

I had two surgeries with Dr. Marco Barusco that went verywell. My third with Dr. Marina Pizarro, though about 13 months ago was a complete disaster. I used to have a small scar on the back middle of my head, but now I have 3 scars. One is above that goes all the way around top side of my head on both sides and another below original thin scar. Hair is now growing very poorly around both areas due to lack of blood flow as it was explained to me later. I was told by Dr. Pizarro that there would be two non-visible extremely thin lines top and bottom and that my hair would fill them in above and below. This was far from the truth. They are both extremely thick and the hair is not growing well around the scars…”new technology.” After my first two surgeries I could shave my head with a one guard and you could not see the line where both of my first surgeries were harvested.

Now I have to wear my hair much linger and it is loose and wavy above the lines revealing pieces of lines when not perfectly set with hair spray. To make matters worse, hair up top now looks less dense than it did before the surgery! My concerns have now multiplied with scars. I only wish I had never had the surgery with Dr. Marina Pizarro. I spent over $5,000 and my head is ruined. In addition, if my head is wet, you’ll see 3 scar lines around my head. Thankfully Dr. Barusco has been doing scar revisions for me and it has helped a lot, although it’ll never be what it was. I also discovered Toppik, which is helping to mask the damage but I have to avoid my head getting wet in public always.

The Only reason I switched to Pizarro for my 3rd surgery was due to finances…cost me about $3,000 less compared to Barusco at the time and Pizarro was actually recommended by a friend in the industry. Huge mistake!!! Should have waited and gone back to Barusco. You absolutely get what you pay for. I went back to Pizarro for a follow up after about 10 months after meeting withBarusco for an opinion and her desk manager spoke down to me and insulted me repeatedly once she became aware of my dissatisfaction and devastation. After belittling me anddenying my and Barusco’s observations, they told me to just come back a few months later and they’d check me again. I told them that I would not come back to them after how they treated me. They then sent me a certified letter ordering that I no longer visit their office again and terminating our patient-doctor relationship.

Dr. Marina Pizarro

The Only reason I switched to Pizarro for my 3rd surgery was due to finances…cost me about $3,000 less compared to Barusco at the time and Pizarro was actually recommended by a friend in the industry. Huge mistake!!! Should have waited and gone back to Barusco. You absolutely get what you pay for. I went back to Pizarro for a follow up after about 10 months after meeting with Barusco for an opinion and her desk manager spoke down to me and insulted me repeatedly once she became aware of my dissatisfaction and devastation. After belittling me and denying my and Barusco’s observations, they told me to just come back a few months later and they’d check me again. I told them that I would not come back to them after how they treated me. They then sent me a certified letter ordering that I no longer visit their office again and terminating our patient-doctor relationship. My advice to anyone looking for a quality hair transplant is to visit Dr. Barusco and his professional team. My surgery with Pizarro not only ruined my life but to add insult to injury, their only attempt to making things right was telling me to come back again a few months later walking out of the office completely insulted as they denied all of my observations.

I made the decision after months of research to use Dr. Pizarro and could not be happier. Yes, scarring can and will occur..that is natural, however taking care of the scare area (even when I had lower back surgery to remove a hyerniated disc, is so important and mandatory. Yes, do your research and then make any medical decision yourself.
IAmSeanReed, you sound like you work for Dr Pizarro. My scar areas were cared for well beyond what was recommended as I had to take almost 3 weeks off from work as my full time job became caring for my wounds. My life was put on hold as I was too humiliated to be seen in public well beyond the time period described and expectation set while selling me on the service. Both Jose (consultant at the time) and Joann (Manager) both have reached out to me since then apologizing for how terrible the experience was that they were involved in. Joann who had insulted and belittled me my last visit there before the letter I received stating I could no longer visit their office, cutting off client/doctor relationship, was later brought to tears when she realized how terrible of a person Marina was and how flawed her practice was. As the complaints kept coming in, she like Jose realized it wasn't worth the money to continue covering for Marina as it affected their conscience and integrity as people who should be genuinely helping other people. All Marina cared about as I came to find out the hard way was cutting costs and saving money as her service worsened with time. I was one of the many who suffered serious consequences due to her inhumane negligence and dishonest cruelty. If your story is true, you got lucky. But doubtful
I most definitely do not work for her...check out my review and story here and you can see day by day my experience. Sounds like maybe you had rough time and i am sorry for that. Mine has been far from it and has exceeded all expectations thus far.
I to had a very unforgivable experience. Dr Pizzaro gave me an ht at the age of 20, when I barely needed one to begin with. I've spent the last 8 years trying to figure out how to fix it. Can't shave closer than a 6 or a 5 guard at best, because of the huge scar from ear to ear, and the hair I have no has fallen out in such a horrible pattern. I got the typical line, scar will be pencil mark then. While we can't blame others for our own decisions, I can't help but feel some hate for a dr. who should know better than sell that crap to a 20 year old, with mild hairloss at best. Wasn't even cheap. In reference to CustomerLobby, anyone who does some research can tell it's a paid service so they won't go against their own clients if they state it was not a fair review. What a coincidence she has 20 "5 star" reviews but has numerous bad reviews on independent review sites.
Sorry to hear that. The surgery with Pizarro was indeed the greatest mistake of my life.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

This is my story, 100% accurate, and I have to live with this the rest of my life. I've lost money, time, a relationship and my life will never be the same. Please don't attempt to add insult to injury but trying to deny the truth. You're practice is flawed and you are fully aware of it. The more people we can reach, the better. All I can do now is help others to know the truth.
Scarred, I too am sorry to hear that you have to deal with this terrible situation. I had a consultation with Dr. Pizarro and couldn't get straight answers to medical questions that I asked her and this concerned me. At the end of the consultation she offered me information about financing a hair transplant surgery and DR PIZARRO TOLD ME TO LIE ON THE APPLICATION about my income so that I would get approved for the loan. I wasn't impressed with her at all. I'm glad I didn't use her. Thanks for sharing your story.
You're welcome. Best of luck.
Dear Scarred, Sorry to hear about your horrible experience. I had my first procedure up north and have been looking for a great doctor to do my next transplant. I actually had a consultation with Dr. Pizarro a short time ago but left very uneasy. Now that I've read your review, I'm definitely not considering her any longer and actually confirms how I felt leaving her office. Would you recommend Dr. Barusco without any hesitation? I'm going to look him up and read up on him. Thanks for your information...it was very helpful!
Sorry for late response. Yes, I would highly recommend Dr Barusco. He has always been great with both of my previous procedures and revisions. Pizarro on other hand left me with scars all around my head and I grew little to no hair up top. Pizarro's surgery may have been the worst decision I have ever made in my life. Best of luck to you.

I was connsidering Dr. Pizarro for hair restoration surgery but after reading your posts, I'm very concerned and apprehensive about getting it done. Thank you.

You were wiser than I was. Smart move!
You're very welcome. Do not make the same mistake I made. Best of luck.