38 yrs old, Mother of 7 children, and Grandmother = surgery needed

I am a single mother of 7 children, so u can...

I am a single mother of 7 children, so u can imagine how stretched my skin is. I have dreamt of the day I could have all that excess fat surgically removed. I not only have 7 children but I also have Vitilago which basically means I am losing all the pigment in my skin. To have these two issues to deal with on a daily basis really brings your self esteem down. I weight 247lbs and I'm not ashamed to say it. I love myself more now than I ever have, but doesn't change the fact that I want to look even better. Today I purchased my ticket to Santo Domingo, DR, and sent my itinerary to Dr. Walkiris Robles assistant Laura. Laura emailed me back and said my surgery is scheduled for 3-19-13.

Welcome to the community.

Well my surgery will take place in just a little...

Well my surgery will take place in just a little over a month. Today is the day I quit smoking. I know kicking this habit will be best for me and my healing process. I will be taking this trip by myself and my family is not too thrilled about that, but I remind them I've been to Africa twice by myself. They agree and the turn around to say well you knew someone in Africa unlike DR. I'm actually not scared, I have a very good feeling about this trip, surgery, and my experience. I'm a procrastinator so I will get my vitamins tomorrow and I will get prepared probably a week before I leave. My mom is coming from VA to watch my kids so I'm happy about that. I posted a pic of me today I don't have any shame about my Vitilago, or all that stretched skin. I have a booty I just want all the dimples gone and it to be more round. I wish I could get a breast lift and reduction but Laura said I'm asking for too many procedures. I just want to get all I can get done. Oooo summer is coming and I'm hoping to be somewhat normal, because I plan on putting on a bathing suit, yes I do. To some woman this maybe nothing but putting a bathing suit on and feeling confident about myself is a really big deal for me. Ok I'll post in a few more days or weeks not really sure just yet.

Hey Carmel when are you leaving? I will be getting my surgery done by Dr Robles as well!! We are both around the same size so I can't wait to see what our results.. I will be following you journey as well.. Hopefully we will be down there together cause I'm also traveling along on April 9th
Hi..Im scheduled to leave March 18 for Dr.Robles...Hope to see u then
Hello hazel 81 how was your experience with rob les? Im trying to get my months together .Im dont want to go when she is overly busy.

I'm Ready

Ok I was scheduled for my surgery with Dra Walkiris Robles in Santo Domingo DR last March and my family convinced me not too go forward. I had my plane ticket, surgery was scheduled and I canceled like a butt hole. I've grown some since 2013 and I am doing this surgery for me. I have bought my plane tickets and I'm waiting on a response from Laura Castro surgery coordinator to confirm my surgery date of March 17, 2014. I am so excited. Ok I read a lot of reviews so if there is anyone going to DR in March please reach out to me because I have a few questions about what exactly are you bringing as far as supplies.

Way to go on the quitting smoking! High ^5! I quit 8 months prior to surgery in hopes of avoiding obvious complications. In turn, I became a non smoker :) It's been 8 months now since I quit… 6 months since surgery. I'll say this… after 7 months without a cigarette, I finally stopped wishing for one! I wished for one every single day! Fought the urge! One of the best perks of this thing! Perhaps the #1 health perk … way more than getting rid of the hanging skin! Congrats again!
I just got back from DR, and did not know anyone or speak the language. It all worked out and I had a wonderful experience and you will too. Just be open to the language and don't get frustrated at the recovery house when you don't understand. I put a smile on my face and kept on moving. Just prepare yourself for swell hell..and the back lipo and you will be fine. Good luck..
I didn't go in 2013 I canceled but I have everything set to go March 17th 2014. I'm ready! Can anyone tell me what their supplies they took or are taking consisted of?

I'm sooo ready

Ok it's count down time I just sent Laura the surgical coodinator my deposit via Western Union. I am scheduled to take off on the 17th. Can anyone tell me exactly what really was needed to bring on the trip. I dont want to bring any thing that is unnecessary. I mean like toiletries, clothing, medication, over the counter stuff etc. Let me know cause I want to begin packing this coming weekend the 8th. I don't want to wait until the last minute to get things together.

@brandnewbelly Thank you! It's been a month since I quit n I have no desire to smoke, I mean I can be outside at work and my Co workers all could be smoking and it doesn't bother me not one bit. Can you tell me exactly what you brought with you on ur trip that u can say u actually needed and was glad you brought it ie. Clothing, toiletries etc??
@sandra361 Thank you so much on the advice. I'm ok with the language barrier cause I've been to Africa twice so I'll the ur advice and just smile. How was ur return trip I mean carrying your luggage, sitting on the airplane etc.? How is your recovery now?

i leave on the 17th of March

Ok so i just went to this store called Ross and picked up like 6 cotton comfortable dresses for like 10 bucks each. I plan on getting all my medical supplies this week. If anyone can contact me and advise exactly what I need that would be freat. I'm not trying to spend anymore than I have too in DR. My surgery is scheduled for the 18th. I already sent my deposit to Laura via Western Union and she sent me back my disability paperwork so a Sista can get paid while I'm out of work. I'm sooo excited. I can wait. 1 week to go.. here is a photo of me

Congrats on your upcoming Sx, I am hoping to be a Robles doll next year this time. I will be following your journey. I've been trying to find out if you can get meds like Percocet or Vicodin for the pain from Dr Robles. I've seen where some dolls have said they got some from another doll. Just wandering.
Hello friend I hope all goes well and keep in touch. I'm next to be a Robles Doll
Thank you! When are you scheduled to go?

6 days until take off

Ok so i have an idea of what I need to take with me to DR but I haven't packed I'm kinda a procrastinator so more than likely will wait until this Saturday or Sunday to pack everything. I really think my family, kids, best friend are truly worried about me and they are just not really saying I love my family n friends but this is something for me. I have prayed about this surgery and God has me covered. I'm going to be good, I'm going to heal n have no complications. I'm still confused about the medication so I'm going to see my MD today and will ask for RX for meds n see if he thinks i need a EKG. I'm also going to let him know i have a serious cold right and i need to get well before the weekend. Yall prayer for me.

I'm a procrastinator too but 6 days away! LOL. When r u gonna pack Carmel_Flava? Good luck with your surgery. I'm 20 days away from being in the DR.
Good luck on your surgery. I will love to see you post op pic and updates on your recovery.
Thank you very much! I plan on updating as much as I can and I will definitely be posting post op pics

5 more days until Takeoff

Ok so i went to the MD yesterday and he would not prescribe me any Percocet but he did give me a tip and i hope this helps someone else he told me to take 4 200mg of Ibuprofen and 2 Tylenol 2x a day this is the equivalent of taking the Percocet for pain. Actually i think this better cause i won't have to spend a lot of money on additional medication. I believe the package deal i have with Robles includes the medication but i will bring back up just in case. Also my friendsaid i will need chucks which are those wee wee pads and my MD said i can get.those from a medical supply store. I will be going tomorrow to the medical supply store to get them and a different kind of compression socks. My sister is a nurse and she said you have to be sized for the socks cause if not you can make matters worse. I'm also going to take some 2 dollar flip flops from Walmart n use as shower shoes and to lounge around in. I checked the weather in its going to be raining off and on more than it will be sunny but you know how mother nature can change. Ok I want to post a Vlog but I'm not sure how too so if anyone know how please let me know.

I look forward to hearing about your experience!
Thank you! It's getting down to the wire.
I plan on packing Sunday early morning and take the rest of the day to spend with my kids maybe watch a few movies. I'm going to miss my rug rats lol. Good luck with your up and coming surgery. Wow 20 day will be here before you know it.

4 days until takeoff - video link attached

Ok I had so much anxiety last night that Idid go to bed until 2am and it's now 7 am Est in the morning smh. I even made my first video. Don't worry about the hair lol when I get closer to my experience I will post another one. I hope you all like it. Share my video and subscribe to my journey. Xoxoxo My 1st video.. Dominican Republic here I come:

Good luck with your upcoming surgery, I hope it all goes well and you have a smooth recovery!
Thank you very much Kirsty!

2 days until takeoff

Ok so i was getting real nervous today cause i hadn't heard from Laura well she sent me like 4 txt messages just trying to reassure me basically I'm going to be in great hands. Today was my last day at work all is set for my disability and FMLA. I believe I have everything I need to travel. I have to remember to get wheelchair assistance for my return flight home. Ok I'm still not sure which recovery house I'm staying at. Oooo one thing I researched about was this oil called Emu oil it's for surgery, muscle pain kinda like Arnica but the Emu oil absorbs through all 7 layers of skin down to the muscle and this is great if your getting Lypo suction. Now another thing I researched was the Arnica gel and the only difference is that it doesn't go through all 7 layers of skin but works well for patients with arthritis, surgery, just pain and it's like a Ibuprofen for the skin. Now here is the kicker I read you can mix the two for the ultimate healing. Now if I had some menthol to add to it pow talking about explosion in the healing process.

I'm so excited for you please keep us posted as a lot of us are on the fence after how some if the ladies were treated. I have emu oil and I never knew it had those type of healing powers I use it in my hair. Be safe u r in my prayers
I feel you girlie! It's a damn shame what I've read so far of dolls being mistreated. Yes you can u the Emu oil for a lot more things than just your hair please Google it so you can have a better knowledge of it. I learned the Australian's use emu oil for everything. Good luck to you!
Praying for a speedy recovery! God bless your journey.

It's down to just hours now until takeoff

I'm packed I have to wash my clothes n my hair. I'm such a procrastinator and my plane takes off at 5:50am est. I hope I meet some of the dolls I have met on RS. So pray for me...

Have a Safe flight ...
Prayers going up! Have a safe trip!
Thank you!

My arrival in DR

I made it here to DR now I'm having all of these test xray, ekg, lab work, all is good so far. I met Laura but she didn't take my money yet not sure what's up wit that I'm ready to get all this money out my purse. Also, I think my period is coming on I'm feeling cramping smdh. Laura hasn't confirmed my surgery what house I'm staying at idk. Now I'm waiting at cecip for a hospital room so my surgery must be tomorrow if they taking me through all the tests. I just need someone to sit down and explain the process instead of let's go here and there have this test and that test, take ur clothes off put ur clothes on ijs I'm just about order and no Confusion. I have a short video i will put up with my arrival to DR.

You're a grandmother?? No way! You look so young! Praying your surgery goes well. How are you doing with not smoking? Any serious withdrawals?
Yes I'm a grandmother and it is such a blessing. I actually haven't had any withdrawls, no wants at all. This is the first time i went cold turkey and stuck with it. I this this surgery, my overall healing process, and my health are speaking volumes and it's very important to me to heal quickly no room for infections or dehicence of my wounds.
That is wonderful!!! What a blessing! Keep us posted on how things progress xxoo

Surgery Scheduled tomorrow

I saw Dra Robles she is very pretty in.person and she is only going to do the Full TT and liposuction my sides not back and no fat transfer to butt due to my weight and she said it's going to be hard for me to breathe after the TT so it's healthier for me and my HGB was 12.5 which is low n I told her my period is coming. I'm ok with coming back next year and doing the BBL and back liposuction. This is why I chose Dr Robles she is about the patient not money hungry. She was concerned for my well being and her license lol but she told me what she could do for me and I'm happy plus I saved $1000 bucks. Well if you all seen my picture I really need that big Ass roll in the front to be gone and that is what she is going to do. The wifi here at Cecip kinda sucks it works in the waiting area but not the rooms themselves that you stay in, so I am literally outside my room typing this review. I am also going to be staying at Angie house which I heard good reviews in. I will up load videos soon

I'm so glad I came across your blog. I had told a few about my decision to go DR and omg.. but I will not let others decide my journey.. Good luck and I can't wait to see your results.. I'm going to Dra Robles in June..
Hey Ty, Praying for you love. Watching your video made me wake my son up with laughter. I love you lol ;) I pray all is well in DR. Keep us posted!!!
I agree you look so young lady! Good luck tomorrow! So exciting!

Still waiting Patiently for surgery

Ok so Dra Robles and Laura met with me last night and the doctor explained I can only get the TT done my HGB was low like 12.5 I'm ok with that cause i do not want to lose my life over a doctor being money hungry. I was told I'm the last to have surgery so I'm supposedly scheduled for 1pm est. I just want to get.this surgery over with and begin my journey to healing. Keep praying for.me yall

Praying that you're blessing to have a successful surgery as well as a speedy recovery!!!!
When you checked your hemoglobin in the US, was it higher than 12.5? I've heard their readings are lower in DR.
Yes when my doctor did the lab work.it was 13.0 even and he said that was normal range

2nd day Post op

Ok so I'm here in Angie ' recovery house and it is really nice the ppl are nice they tend to you needs. I met Angie and she is very down to earth a real cool person. This girdle they have me in is for the birds. It's very uncomfortable. I got my period yesterday and that sucks. I hate having to go pee cause the walk to the bathroom is difficult for me. I didn't sleep much last night because I was not comfortable it has nothing to do with the bed it just this girdle having to literally sleeping straight up is just uncomfortable. Angie gave me a rockingchair and it's really helpful, when I have to get up its much better from the rocking chair than the bed. Ok let me retract and tell u my experience in the hospital. Please be careful with your money those nurses will lie and say you need this and that and it's not true it's because they trying to get your money it's their own inside hustle. The give u a med pay that has everything u need when u.leave the hospital and they give u this tight ass girdle. Be prepared u will not be able to shower do to Doctor orders so make sure u bring wipes and soap. Everything I thought I needed I haven't used yet like feminine pads, arnica, Ibuprofen etc. The wifi isn't the greatest so skype has been my best friend when communicating with family and friends.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

pic of me in hospital

Me bent the hell over lol

Congrats on the surgery. Keep the info coming. Oh and question...you sent the deposit off like two weeks before surgery. Can they get a surgery date that fast? Do they have last minute cancellations? Or did you have the date already pick and they held it for you?
My suggestion would be is to tell Laura when u want to come and she will tell u what she has available purchase ur plane ticket to leave a day before ur surgery so you can do all the test's and than send ur deposit off to hold that date. I hope this helps.
You look good Doll. I hope you get to get some sleep. I hope you feel better!

post op

Ok so i had some real bad edema today iput my compression socks on which are helping. I actually got to take my faja/garment off today for couple hours I also did num 2 which good. I put my Emu oil on so I know this will help me with swelling too. I cant wait to go back jome. I miss my kids. I'm bored all i do is watch spanish speaking channels dont.get me wrong it's nothing wrong with that i just miss my English TV shows Scandal, the originals ughhh Thank God for DVR. I need to walk more cause.right now i can't walk for more than 3 mins without it killing my back.cause ur bent over literally the whole time. I will post some pics when i am able.to stand lol

Good morning sweetie. Hope that you are able to stand for a lil longer today. Do they have wiffi? If they do try downloading netflix so that you don't get bored. Take care ;)
Yes today i was able to stand a lil longer. I don't want to overdo it. I didn't even think about Netflix. Thanks
You welcome.

1st visit Post op with Dr Robles

I just want to say Dr Robles is a very sweet, beautiful, and kind person. So Wilson the driver came to get me and 3 other girls here at Angies recovery house. When it was my turn I had to take my summer dress off, and my faja with help from Dr Lara of course. They changed my bandages and put some what felt like alcohol on my skin which stung a little. DR Robes says I need to sleep basically sitting up because my incision is red. Girl, I've been laying down on my left side legs straight getting my zzzz's in lol. I will do better she wants to see me before I leave this joint early Thursday morning. I can't wait to be back in the states. It's beautiful and all but I'm just home sick. I miss my kids.

Hi Carmel how u doing? I wish you the best of luck and soon recovery.
glad you where able to share you story with us! did you try the ibuprofen and tylenol yet? doctor wont prescribe any so i'll most likely be trying it.
Your Welcome. I did not use the ibuprofen not Tylenol because the ibuprofen is a blood thinner which isn't good and they give you enough pain meds if u want you could get some vicodin that will help.

Soooo.....

OK so I was able to see Dr. ROBLES Wednesday before I was scheduled to leave on the 27th. My legs were completely swollen including my abdomen. They changed my dressings by cleaning my wounds with alcohol and placing the 3mm tape straight on my wounds which in America wound care 101 is a no no. I just wanted to get back home to my kids and family. I got back home safely on Thursday but didn't sit still which I regreted on friday. My incision dehisced a little on my left side. I went to see my medical doctor on Friday and he confirmed my dehiscence and an infection/allergic reaction to the 3mm tape. The doctor took some blood from me and said he will call me this weekend to tell me the results. Yall pray for me cause all this edema can mean something is wrong with my kidneys. So the doctor put me on a water.pill, vert strong antibiotic, and some codeine that will have you feeling high as hell. I'm still not sure if OK with my results because I've had so much swelling. I will upload photos when I'm in a better state.

My prayers are with you. Im glad we speak on a day to day basis. I hope you get well soon.
Just wondering how everything is coming along? I hope you're doing ok!
Prayers going up for a full recovery sis !!!

So much has happened

I saw the doctor and he told me that my kidneys were fine but I have a skin infection (cellulitis), some slough nasty yellow mucus by my incision so he had the nurse clean my wounds he said continue to take my antibiotics and he will schedule me a home care nurse to come to the home to do my dressing changes on my wounds. Ok Thank God my sister is a nurse and we were back on talking levels cause she came to show me how to clean my wounds 3x a day before the home nurse was to come. Mind yall its very difficult for me to walk I need a wheelchair, bedside potty, and a walker to help me get around. Thank God for all my kids cause each one of the 5 left at home helped there mommy out tremendously. Ok a couple of days passed and I saw my nurse for the first time on 4/3/14 she look at my wound and the.swelling in my legs and said you need IV antibiotics, I should be in the hospital. I was scheduled to see my doctor on the 4th and my sister told his nurse what my home care nurse was saying (I didnt know at the time my home care nurse stressted to my doctor I should be admitted to the hospital) so my doctor looked at my wounds and at first he was going to send me home but said no I'm going to send you to the hospital. Ok yall I had no breakfast this was like a 10am est appt so my sister goes and gets something eat and eats that piece right in front of me lol not out of spite yall I told her I was good but that food sho did smell good. Ok I go home get a quick bag to bring with me to the hospital. I go to the ER they have.get a.wheelchair for me cause walking for a period any period of time was exhausting and it hurt. I check in at the ER there is an issue with my last name because I changed it back to my maiden name when I divorced so im glad I had my passport on me so they corrected that situation. I was wheeled back they gave me an IV in my arm which was not a nice.experience

Thank goodness you went to your doctor. I had a patient that acquired necrotizing fasciitis . She was in so much pain. She had to back to the operating room twice in the states. And she looks like she never had surgery done. Her butt is flat and her abdomen is distended. Not good!!! Make sure you take all antibiotics given to you. You are in my prayers.
I just found your review and I'm sorry to read what you're going thru...I'm glad your doctor was there for you and didn't turn you away...is this a private doctor or hmo? I have hmo and that's my concern...you're in my PRAYERS!
Omg love I'm so sorry to hear your going though all this I pray will be much better I had a scare with my belly button as well I think god we made it home safe and alive your in my prays Hun

cont'd review

I was in the hospital from April 4th to April 8th they had me on IV antibiotics -Zosyn and Vancomycin. Im feel a lot better Im still on oral antibiotics for this serious yeast/fungal infection near my groin area. Its clearing up well though. They nurse removed my drain on the 8th of April I asked her to give me pain meds before taking it out and it must have worked caused I didn't feel a thing. The nurse cleaned the area and put something their im not sure what the topical cream was she covered it up with gauze cause it was draining a little bit. My home care nurse saw me on 4/10 and changed my dressing by the drainage site and check my blood pressure and it was a little high. I went.to the doctor the next day and my pressure was fine. My doctor has me going back to work on April 28th. I return back to the doctor on the 25th. I did see the plastic surgeons on the 15th and was told everything is healing nicely my stitches will dissolve eventually. I feel a lot better just taking it one day at a time.

I'm do sorry you're going through all this. I understand all so well how difficult it is to keep your head up when there are complications. You are in my prayers. I hope everything goes well with you from here on out.
Thank you very much! I appreciate your kind words and thoughts.
you look great!!! Glad things working out! Happy healing....Congrats to you!!!!

Here is a pic of my incision

Hi sweetie how you been? Hope all is well.
I pray for you 2. I think is better to stay in DR till recovery.
How r u doing ?
Dominican Republic Plastic Surgeon

I basically researched, read millions of reviews and decided to go with Dr. Robles.