8 Days Post-op and Feeling Lost...- Destin, FL

I am a 33 year old mom of two. I had a tt and lipo...

I am a 33 year old mom of two. I had a tt and lipo with Dr. Ennis on Sept 25th and am torn about how I feel. On the one hand, my scar is nice and low and looks like it will be easily covered. On the other hand, no one from the Dr's office has called to check on me. I have a ton of swelling from the lipo of my hips which makes me look deformed. I was only given a binder for the tummy tuck, not a compression garment for my hips/thighs. I am hoping that once the swelling goes down I will look normal. I was told by a nurse that I would come in to have my drains removed once the output was below a certain amount, but she wouldn't tell me what that amount was. It has been 8 days but I have no idea when my drains will be removed...

Pensacola Plastic Surgeon

I am usually taken right back for appointments. Dr Ennis always seems rushed and he talks very quickly. He has never used my name. The nusre who attended to me at the surgery center was fantastic. However, I only dealt with her the day of surgery. All of my other interactions have been with the surgeon's staff.

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Ladies, Thanks for all the advice. I did call and speak to the nurse, she said I wasn't given a compression garment for my hips/thighs as they don't usually give them out for my type of lipo (I didn't have my inner thighs done) because they are very expensive. I considered buying one for myself and asked how much but she couldn't tell me. Anon3196, I can't say for sure that I am receiving poor care... But there is another review of the same PS on this site that I read prior to my surgery and I am sure that I am not receiving the same level of care or attention as that person:(
Don't look at what is going on with the other person. Try to remain positive! Are you able to contact your PS directly? If you can, tell him how you are feeling. But really, you have to think positively to get through your recovery. Make sure you are up and moving around as much as they tell you, and make sure you are eating well. Take GOOD care of yourself and keep going forward. Make sure you also get the sleep you need. Everyday is better and new one and you will feel great about yourself. :-) Being positive it very important for this journey you are on now! You even said your scar looks good and low. Think on everything positive!
I'm disappointed to hear that after all this money paid and your not getting the right service. You can always ask the question or questions on this site. There a section where actual doctors will try to help answer your questions. That's another cool thing about this site you can get a lot of different opinions. None the less I hope your going in soon to get evaluated and made sure everything looks good and your bandages are removed and new ones placed.
Spanx makes a wonderful product that would help you, and in fact, this is the kind of garment most recommend after you come out of your binder. This will act as a compression garment in some instances and they do have one that reaches the thigh area. They are expensive but if you look online you can find them for half the price on the popular auction site. Take extra special care of yourself and try to keep your spirits up. Don't be reluctant to call your Dr's office, after all this is part of the entire process. Pamper yourself a little and realize that you have been through a "really big surgery" as my Dr. called it. Just remember to take care of you during this healing stage. You deserve all the TLC you can give yourself!
Jot all your questions down and call the dr! Keep in mind all drs do things differently, so you should follow their directions for you. Be positive, take a deep breath and when all else fails, think about what has already changed and how much better it's going to be!
I think it would be best to discuss your concerns with your PS's office ASAP. I had to find and purchase my own garments, they were not given to me, and I did that before the surgery. I had a TT, not lipo. Every question and concern you have should be directed to them. Call ASAP. That is what they are there for. Your money given to them is for the complete care, until you are completely healed, you are under their care. Hang in there!!! I am 6 mo PO and I LOVE my tummy. You will get there! You HAVE to talk to them about everything. You will be much happier after calling them! :-) BIG HUGS! ASK THEM EVERYTHING! You have to be your own advocate!
I think that is really nice that you call your pts. However, my dr told me to call them, and I felt I could call or email anytime. This young lady needs to make sure the dr is taking care of her, and so she needs to call them if she has questions or concerns. I do not think she is necessarily receiving poor care. Sounds like she just needs to take care of herself. I am not sure she should be told her care is poor at this point, that is only going to discourage her. She did say that her scar looks good. Let's give this girl some hope! Keep calling those pts! :-) I love my TT!
Try not to worry,,, it will be the best thing you have ever done for your self !! when the swelling gos down you will be thrilled .I had mine 12 months ago and remember feeling like you ,,, but it wont last ,,,honist xx
You should not wait for someone to contact you. You should call and make an appt with your surgeon and take a list of questions with you. This is not the time to wonder and worry. You paid for these services and it is up to you to take care of you. Time will heal but your dr should have a conversation with you on your concerns.
very good advice. I couldnt of said it any better.
I am so very sorry to read that you are dealing with this. Please, please call and insist that they see you as your follow-up care is as important as your surgery. I know that this time is a difficult time, or it was for me, and you need support, comfort and reassurance. My drains could not be removed till they reached under 20cc output. For me this was almost 2 weeks and I have to admit that I was miserable till then but thankfully that fluid could be removed via those means. I wore my binder for 6 weeks as it kept my swelling down and though I had a love/hate relationship with it, I found that I needed it. I found a really lightweight binder online that I traded for the one I got after surgery. You deserve to have a doctor who takes care of your needs. Don't waste any time and call and ask to come in and definitely ask to speak to the nurse, at the very least till you can come in. My Dr. was in Fairhope and when I called with a concern he asked me to come in immediately to reassure me. Your Dr. should provide no less. I hope that they will be responsive to your concerns. There are so wonderful ladies here, especially the moderator, who probably will be able to give you some support. Please let us know how you are doing.
Very sad, you are not receiving the care you would receive from a Boston Plastic's Dr. We call our patients everyday and they can have a nurse stay with them for a few days. Poor situation. The drains should be removed when you have less than 30cc for 24 hours. Cheryl RN
Ok honey let me tell you first that what you are feeling is perfectly normal, NOW for the drains to come out you have to have in 24 Hrs an output of less than 25 mls/cc in total for each drain you have, my PS didn't let me wear a CG until my drains were out so I was wearing my binder at all times , keep track and record everyday on how much you are draining .... Another thing for God's sake be patient really!! You had a major surgery what were you expecting not to be swollen at all or just walk out of surgery like nothing had happened ?! So sorry if I sound harsh or rude but a little reality shake would not hurt... you can be swollen up to 6 months specially if you had lipo ,just relax and rest, the more stuff you do the more swollen you get , I'm a nurse and I tell my patients to write down all the questions they have before going to their doctors, as patients we have the rightbto ask and not feel intimidated, we all looked like monsters at one point after surgery and little by little as the swelling goes down the " monster" disappear and your body will start taking shape...hang on it will get better!!!!
Call the office first thing in the morning! I had lipo on hips waist abs thighs...it is my understanding that compression on these areas within the first weeks (stage 1) is VERY important. I am surprised they did not fit you Ina medical grade compression garment before sending you hme. As fear as the drain, typically it needs to be under 20cc/ 24 hour period...everyone is different.. My drain was in for a long time over two weeks. Be insistent on your care and get your questions answered - You are worth it! Wishing you a speedy recovery. Ps- I am 6 weeks PO and I am still swollen and wearing garments 24/7
I went home in a compression binder. I had lipo too. I had drains out at 12 days. I wore the binder for many weeks before I could handle pulling up the Spanx over the 22 inch incision.
Planning on my tummy tuck and hip lipo on Jan. 3rd. This site is helping me prepare for what's coming up. Thank you ladies for sharing your experiences here that others can learn.
Hi You should call your doctor's office and schedule your follow-up appointment! When drains are removed varies by MD, but mine weren't removed until the output went down to 20ccs over a 24 hour period. Call your MD's office and ask. You should be seeing him for a follow-up regardless of whether or not the drains are ready to come out.
You should have had a follow up already with your ps. And compression garment for your hip and thighs. They should have provided you with that or recommended you buy one before your surgery. You need to call and get in. Every ps works different as far as the output of your drains. Sorry your so confused. I hope things gets better soon. It's so tough but your still so early and right in swell hell!!! Don't judge your results for at least 3-4 months. But call your ps and get yourself checked out.
Pardon the typos...on fone. :-)
Oh no! You should def call the doctors office and see about getting a followup asap, especially if your having concerns. Best of luck!!
First of all, I'm sorry for tge lack of support. We've got yourback here. I suggest buying some spanx, whichever one covers all of your work sites, and where them under your binder. And, call your doc if you experience anything that doesn't feel like soreness. My drains came out wgen my fluid fell below 20ccs. Count on that or there abouts. The ugliness is normal. Just hanf in there. You, must however, drink lits if water and move as much as you can. This helps your circulation and will help the bruising. Just give it time....and lots of it.
Oh honey this is a hard time you call that office right now and tell them you need some answers now?!!! So sorry I am 13 days po and so swollen my drain was removed the next day!? All are different love and peace you