Great Experience As of 1 1/2 Weeks Post Procedure - Destin, FL

I'm 48 yrs old and had Fraxel repair done on Mar 4...

I'm 48 yrs old and had Fraxel repair done on Mar 4 to my face/neck. After reading all the blogs on this site, I feel very fortunate in every way of my results so far. My concerns for doing this were age/sun spots, fine line wrinkles and skin tone. The procedure and recovery was on target with the information my doctor and staff told me. I actually feel that my recovery was quicker than I expected.

In order to help those of you contemplating this procedure, I will include a recap of my daily events.

I had 2 consults with the Doctor and Aesthetician which were very thorough and complete. They were willing to spend as much time needed to answer any questions I had. During my visits, I was allowed to speak with 3 other patients who had this done within that week and were in for their checkups which helped put my mind at ease.

30 days prior to Fraxel Repair I applied an Obagi Bleaching Cream to my face and neck daily.
One day prior, I started on an antibiotic taken 4 times/day along with Valtrex (fever blister prevention) 2/day for 7 days.
30 minutes prior to arriving, I took a Valium along with an Adovan. Once I arrived, they administered a numbing cream which was given about an hour or so to take effect. By this time, I was feeling the relaxing effects of the drugs taken. I am very much a lightweight when it comes to medication and was offered another Adovan which I denied. Next I was given nerve blocker shots. I was pretty much out of it so I’m not sure how many shots I got but it seemed like quite a few. I remember some discomfort from them.

Day 1: The procedure took about 45 minutes. Again, being sedated fogs my memory but I don’t remember too much pain on my face except for my cheeks. My neck was really painful but it took 15 minutes so it was bearable.
Once completed, the staff showed my friend who was with me how to dress my wounds. We then left for home which was a 20 minute drive. I slept the whole way home and was totally zonked. I learned from my friend the following days what state my face was in Day 1 which was pretty bloody. When I got out of the car to go inside, my face was bleeding profusely. Thank God I had a friend stay to care for me because I was pretty much in and out until 6:00pm. She changed my dressing every 2 hours to prevent the blood from drying. These changes consisted of cleaning the face with water and gauze, then using a cleanser mist, then applying vinegar/water gauze all over leaving it on for 10 minutes. Next was to apply a thick coat of Aquaphor for lubrication. The oozing continued for about 30hrs. There was NO pain involved preceding the procedure except for the gauze scraping my face while cleaning.

Day 2: Although I expected to have the worst swelling on Day 3, mine was on the second day. I was glad to have my oozing stop that afternoon and continued to re-dress every 2 hours.

Day 3: Time for my first check up. The staff was pleased with my results. Although I was told I could change the dressing every 3-4 hrs, I continued every 2 hrs mainly because the Aquaphor drove me crazy and it felt good to clean it off. I’m told to discontinue the use of on my chin area due to millia (white pimples). Instead, in this area, I was to apply Cetaphil Lotion. The staff feels that the consistency and frequency of my wound care possibly aided in the lack of the normal peeling process I had which was minimal to none. With each cleaning, I would notice a little peeling. The swelling started to subside. The redness seemed to become more intense.

Day 4: The daily improvements are drastic compared to how I looked 2 days prior. I am re-dressing every 3-4 hours. The worst part now is the itching. I had no itching on my face but a lot on my neck. Even now on day 11, I still itch at times.

Day 5: Time for my second check up. All’s fine and I am to continue staying inside. I live in Florida and just walking out the door would cause my face to fluster then feel a burning sensation. I was told I could start to wear make-up. I felt that due to the redness (which was not too bad); I was not going to be able to comfortably go out but was surprised of the coverage I got. I applied Doctors Bag tinted sunscreen which I got from the Doctor then mineral powder.

Day 6: An exciting day…..My look was great. No fine lines or dark spots. My skin was a beautiful even tone with no fine lines. I realize some of this was still due minimal swelling but it looked great.

Day 7: Third check up. The staff seemed very excited on the progress. My instructions were no physical activity for 3 weeks, apply sunscreen every day and stay out of the sun. My next visit will be in 4 weeks at which time they will consult me on routine maintenance.

Day 8: I went to watch my tennis team play and had amazing compliments such as I looked 10 years younger. My neck is a bit saggy and has not made the improvements my face has.

The following is my personal opinion of this process:

The most important thing is to use a Doctor who is VERY familiar with this procedure. Ask how many times they have done Fraxel. They have to start somewhere but I wouldn’t want to be one of their first few patients. There are different settings for different areas so ask what their plan is for you. I will admit although I was informed of everything, I didn’t realize how this could have turned out. My normal attitude is that most things are not a big deal. I truly lucked into choosing and receiving the care from the staff who I would highly recommend. Having 6 days of doing nothing, I found out just how horrible some experiences were. The only thing I was told that I do not agree with is that although it is best to have someone to care for you the first day, it is not mandatory. I live alone and did not plan on having help but had it not been for my friend, I would have not had such a great recovery and would have been much more uncomfortable. Thanks to her for taking the initiative to know this was necessary.

Accelerate the healing process by re-dressing OFTEN. I was supplied a gauze but ran out. My friend bought me cloth gauze which was MUCH more comfortable on my sensitive face.

Don’t get down due to your being uncomfortable with an ugly, greasy face thinking it will be a while before you can go out in public. Laugh and make fun of this alien face you will have for a couple of days. It will get better really quick if you have done the right things.

I have no idea how I will look 1 week, 1 month or 1 year from now much less the 5-10 years they say this should last but if my look now is indicative of how it will be, I feel confident this was a choice I would again make.

Hope this is of help to any who are considering this procedure. I am writing this for no other reason than to inform you of my thoughts. Although I highly recommend my Dr. I have not been coaxed into this by him for any reason.

Just had a 5 month follow-up and would love to...

Just had a 5 month follow-up and would love to share with you all how great an experience this has been.  I knew that the procedure had an impact on how I had aged, but never to this extent......After seeing the "before and after" pictures, it was unbelievable to see the difference.  I can truly say that 10 years has been taken off my looks.  Hats off to the doctor and their staff for not only doing this procedure but also for spending time with me going over the maintenance, etc that I need to abide by.  I would strongly recommend this to anyone who is a good candidate and would like to stress the importance of having an experienced doctor for I feel this was the key to my success story...........Thanks to you all for what you've done......

It has been almost 2 yrs since my Fraxel Repair...

It has been almost 2 yrs since my Fraxel Repair and I am still very happy with the results. My skin looks great. I am starting to get a few age/brown spots again and need to address this. I assume living in Florida and being in the sun more than the average person is a big contributing factor to this although I do wear sunscreen at all times.

Panama City Facial Plastic Surgeon

This question is answered in my comments.

Hi Colleen, I'm not allowed to put his name in my column, but if you click on my name it will take you to my own Fraxel Repair review and that is where you'll see his name. He is located in Encino. Keep me posted, and goodluck:)
I had a consult with him last year. Dr. P, right? I also spoke with the 10 YY girl from last year. Is that who you mean? Are you still really red after 2 1/2 months? Do you really see a huge difference in your complextion. Wasnt the first two days after the procedure difficult by yourself. I'm just kinda freaked out by what everyone writes, here. Also, the cost seems to vary. Did you get a good deal in today's bad economy? Look forward to hearing back...any photos? Thanks for sharing Chardy
Hi Chardy, My face is completely back to normal. I would say I was pink after I returned to work but not to the point that I looked like I had anything done. I went to my sister's on day 12 for a party, she knew about it- her friends did not. I just looked like I had hit the slopes. Keep in mind I did my face, neck, and chest so the healing was very even, no tell, tell signs or demacation. I am very pleased. I wake up in the morning and it doesn't look like I've slept face down. I keep waiting to see if my lines come back because of what I've read, but they haven't. I may want to do a repair lite in a couple months above my lip, but I'm thinking I may want to do one every year, or every other to keep skin looking refreshed...it's alot less intense with the lite, no bleeding just pink for a couple days. "I would love to forego the knife". My husband works all day and I was happy about that. I wished that I could have stayed somewhere else,I just didn't have that choice, but I didn't need him-I can clean my own face...thank you very much. I was not in ANY pain during healing, nor was I drugged or incapable. I don't know why people need the help. Just buy plenty of grocery items, gauze, ect so you don't have to leave your home. You will need a driver though. By the time you get home the drugs will have worn off and your ready to do your first soaking. The 10YY girl was on March 20 I believe it's not the same girl because he has done several shows. He did work out a better price for me so I'm sure he will do the same for you...maybe even better:) I did post photos if you click on my name. I will email you a recent one of my whole face if you wish, I just didn't want to do a whole picture on the site...there are people who still don't know my secret. Did you check out Marta Waller's youtube video? It will give you a good idea as to what to expect day by day. I hope this helps, and I hope you consider another consult with Dr.P. There is only a couple Doctors I would trust and he one of them.
deercoin, thanks for the imput. The doctor you chose is very reputable. I live in LA and the hardest part of this whole thing is selecting the physican as there are so many Derms & PS to choose from. Take care & post photos if you can.
Hi Chardy, my Doctor was based in Encino. I'm about 2 1/2 months post and I'm thrilled will my results. He just filmed an episode of 10 years younger on TLC and a string of other. Consider a consult with him I know you'll be as pleased as me. BTW: with the exception of a driver, I didn't need any help.
What is the name of your doctor? I live in southern CA and would like to consult him.
Sorry but I don't know which Dr in Boca does repair. I had it done outside of Destin
Where in Florida did you have this done? I know of only one doctor in Boca Raton who has the new Fraxel Repair. I am in South Florida and the two MAIN Repair doctors are in Tampa and The pan Handle.
I had this done in Santa Rosa Beach which is in the Panhandle outside of Destin. Wonderful place.......
There is a doctor in Bal Harbor who also does the repair, which is where I had my eyes done. What doctor in Boca does it?
check out Dr. Keusch. she is a Board Cerified Plast. surgeon in Boca raton that does Fraxel Repair. I have NOT used her yet. I did have Fraxel RESTORE done over 4 years ago in West palm (5 treatments with modest results)
Deercoin, great post..... any pictures taken? how is your progress now? I can assume the 1st week after the procedure is the worst, yes? Is your face still really red? Im sooo scared to do it as I live alone & dont want to impose on friends or family to help... but whats the alternative? Good luck & keep us updated. Chardy
Chardy, I have a couple of pics and will work on getting them on here. Honestly, after the 4th day its not bad. But trust me that the first 3 or super scarey....You will be amazed at the rate the face heals. I am now 2 weeks post my face is pink but with tinted sunscreen and mineral powder looks GREAT.....DO NOT spend the first day alone. It is really important to keep the blood and ooze and there will plenty of it off your face every 2 hours. After that you will be fine alone. Remember, I am speaking from my own experience and can't say everyone will have this same recovery. Make sure you are comfortable with the DR. you choose!!!!!!