Two Sides Don't Match - Denver, CO

After a divorce and the death of my Mother and...

After a divorce and the death of my Mother and feeling like the sky had fallen on my I saw the ad and checked into LSL with Dr. Shah. The shots were really painful - the person waiting for me heard me cry out more than once - but then I was numb and it seemed the procedure went okay. He didn't seem to take as long on the left side as on the right but it got done and I went home. After a year and a half my neck looks great and the right side of my face is contoured nicely but the left seems to have a slight bulge and my left ear lobe is different. I am still numb under my chin and I wondered about this stuff so went in for a consultation. I still don't feel like I got a good explanation. I followed the rules - I wanted to look like the people in the ads and I know your face is different on each side but I didn't have a bulge in my left cheek before. Maybe I should have tried to find the doctor who did the surgeries for the people in the ads.

Hello mlhh - I remember seeing you at the end of this past year. As I told you then, it had been almost 18 months since I saw you last. Being compliant with follow-up is vital to a successful outcome, but I understand that your personal situation made that difficult. Your preop photos show asymmetry, as all patients have. Your before and after pictures showed that you lost a lot of volume in your cheeks causing you to have that little bit of sag. The sag is photographically similar however. Even the height of your chin had reduced, confirming that you are losing bone volume, and possibly fat volume. As you might remember, I suggested that you go see your primary physician to get your bone densities checked to make sure that you are not suffering from osteopenia or osteoporosis, which is common for someone with your hair and eye color combo. It is important for patients to note that, barring excess bleeding, the left side of everyone's face takes me less time to complete. I get lots of great information from operating on the right side of a face that allows me to be even more efficient at performing the left side facelift. Being that you are 18 months after your procedure, it is unreasonable for one to assume that I can stop time. Having realistic expectations is important to understand all types of outcomes. As you know I am always available to discuss this further with you, to come up with a plan to compensate for your natural aging. A facelift alone doesn't solve all facial aging concerns. I look forward to hearing from you. Dr. Shah
NO one is perfectly symmetrical and if you sleep on one side, it can swell. WEAR YOUR COMPRESSION BANDAGE as much as possible the first 30 days to support the internal sutures.
Thanks for sharing your experience!
Denver Plastic Surgeon

He was very convincing and a good sales person. Seemed knowledgeable - I just think he might not have taken enough time on the left side.