IPL - Sciton BroadBand Light - Denver, CO

My certified dermatologist performed this on me 2...

My certified dermatologist performed this on me 2 days ago. It was difficult to research leading up to the procedure because he kept calling it IPL. However, based on some of the reviews, this can't be the same process, but I could not find anything called BBL (broadband light). I don't know if it's the same as phototherapy?

Anyhow, I wanted to remove freckles and sun damage. He used machine called Sciton Joule , 515 filter for freckles. They have other filters to address other issues. I think this is one of the lightest settings, compared to a chart I saw in the office. Anyhow, my Dr. did a phenomenol job. It went like this: They assured me it would not hurt (it did not) but I'd still see bright flashes of light, totally unharmful to the eyes. They slathered ultrasound gel on my face and he began. It was a very tiny rubber band snap, like he described. It just kept surprising me, so I think I flinched a little several times until I got used to it.

I did the whole face, which was $400 for 1 treatment. The most sensitive part was my upper lip. However, it did not hurt. AT ALL. And I am a big baby, hate getting shots, etc. Almost immediately I noticed my freckles getting darker. The entire process took about 30 minutes. Short and sweet! Please note: this process is NOT for dark skinned people and should only be administered by experienced professionals. I am of Irish/German descent, auburn hair and always had freckles my whole life. I burn very easily. This is the type of fair skin the process will help.

I was nervous after seeing some of the horrible, rectangular burns from reviews on here. If you have dark skin or tan very easily, you need to go to someone who specializes in treating that type of skin. Anyhow, he noticed my freckles darkening immediately and said that was good. I had it done Thurs around 2 pm and as of Sat morning, I am starting to see the beginning of freckles coming to the surface and looking a little flaky. I keep applying moisturizing cream. I am glad I took Friday off, but I could have covered up the dark freckling. But, the only makeup I've ever known to have a good concealer is Base Essentials. They have a powder concealer that works incredibly well.

Dark spots fade away as I painted on my bisque colored powder. It was totally doable. Some of the biggest pain in the rear freckles are dark and looks like they are starting to surface. Awesome! I don't know if I will get a 2nd treatment within a month because of the cost, however my doc can do the face (not forehead) for $300 or $100 for touch ups. I feel it's too early to post before and afters since I do not yet have the full result, but it's in progress. I also really have to recommend Obagi Sunscreen SPF 50 because I've never known anything to go on so light and non-greasy. I've used Neutrogena, Cetaphil, Eucerin and none left me without a slight pasty look.

I have to use physical sunblock since the chemical (avobenzene) causes little bumps all over my face and it burns. Obagi is a physical sun blocker and wears very well under my makeup. My face does not feel make up heavy, like it can after putting on moisturizer, sunscreen, and powder foundation. Feel free to contact me with any questions. I plan to post pics when I've gotten the full result.

I am updating on Feb 28th, 2012 to add some pictures.

I am updating on Feb 28th, 2012 to add some pictures.

Englewood Dermatologist

It's too early for after care follow up, but I am sure I will be back. We didn't talk on the phone or email, so I could not comment. I think the scheduling department crams in as much as they can, because he's appeared very busy the 2 appointments I've spent with him. I felt bad asking extra questions because I could tell he was being pulled in many directions at once.

Great job with the picture time line, your results are really encouraging you got look Fabulous!
I finally found a bbl review! Great results.
Nice results. Congratulations.

I agree. I'd only ever recommend IPL for people with light skin. Too risk otherwise.
you look beautiful!
You look awesome! Thanks for posting pics. I had my first IPL treatment done 2 days ago for freckles (I'm also irish/german background) and like you said the freckles got really intense and dark after the treatment. They said it takes 5-7 days for the flaking of the dark spots, so I am waiting patiently, and hoping these spots do go away! My daughter told me the day of my treatment that I looked like a cheetah :( Not exactly complimentary when I already hate my freckles, but hopefully this is a temporary state. Seeing your pictures is comforting, as I see your end result is really fantastic.
wowww, you look hot!! Not that you weren't cute to begin with... but now you look amazing! I would totally date you if I didn't live in Australia :)
What setting was the IPL set on? Degree? As you can see on realself, some members have had horrible experiences and I'm just wondering if it was due to too high of degree setting or if it was just the fact they went in for too many treatments when they only needed one. Thanks for your post!
hi i was wondering how you are doing now? Do the spots eventually come off? Is there any skin damage or "pocks" on the face?
Hi, I am doing well. I am thinking about putting up some pics. I really wanted to see MORE freckles come to the surface a flake off. It seems like the darkest / closest ones reacted immediately. However, I have some lighter splotches of freckles that were not really impacted. This was a very gentle process and a great way to start. From here, if I want more results, I don't know if the doc will zap the freckles more # times OR will he use a deeper filter? The lighter freckles are more difficult to remove.
Whoops, forgot to fully answer. The freckles that darkened immediately are the ones that flaked off within a few days of the treatment. I am glad to see those gone. There was NO skin damage whatever. I am very pleased with the ease of the procedure. I just wanted MORE results.

That is great that it didn't hurt, and that you are seeing changes already.

I'm looking for a good sunscreen to use before summer hits. Do you mind me asking how much you pay for the Obagi? What you describe sounds exactly like what I would want, but I'm guessing its a bit on the spendy side.

Hi Meg! I ordered it on Amazon for $16.00, a 3 oz tube. I could not find it on Prime, unless I wanted to pay $32 for the same thing. Uhhh, no thanks! So, it was $20 total, with $4 shipping. It came pretty quick, too. I think you'd be impressed. It just seems to fade right in without much work. It feels like a moisturizer lotion. I've never used anything that felt so lightweight. I hope that helps!

$16? SOLD!! I assumed it would be like $100 or some ridiculous price - definitely going to try it! Thanks :)

Megan, did you get your Obagi sunscreen yet? I am just loving it. It goes so nicely over my moisturizer, before powder foundation.

I just ordered the sunscreen on Amazon - can't wait to try it!! Thanks so much for the tip - hopefully it works as well on my skin as it does on yours. :)