Fat Grafting: Not Sure - Denver, CO

I had FG to my cheeks and mouth area in 2009. I...

I had FG to my cheeks and mouth area in 2009. I looked like a chipmunk for months. My smile was unnatural. The fat "took" which was good, but again, I looked unnatural. 2 years later, much of it is gone. The one part that did remain was a small correction that she added to fix my dimple.

I was bothered by the area that was indented and she implanted fat. Now, I have a strange looking fat pocket on my face. I am hoping to have it dissolved/lipo'ed out at some point. I am just not sure about this procedure. It does not offer the precision of fillers. Looking back, I think that fillers may have been a better option. They just offer more precision to the surgeon. At this point, the fat grafting just can't be tailored to client's problems as it should be.

I did not like my doctor. She seemed frazzled and dismissive. I don't think she ruined my face or anything, but I didn't feel happy with the way I was treated generally.

Nicole Picerno

Seemed frazzled and somewhat dismissive of my concerns. I also had a peel and really wasn't happy with the results there, but that's a different story. I think she knows what she's doing, but didn't like the bedside manner.

I had lipostructure done by Dr sydney reese coleman in newyork, 5 years ago, and its still there:)Look up his web site, tribeca plastic surgery:) That is all he does, and the fat really doesnt go away he has a technique he uses, that he teaches to all the different doctors and ps all around the world..hope this helps
What is lipostructure? I had fat transferred from my stomach to my lips 10 years ago. Really bad doctor and a bad decision on my part. My bottom lip is fine. My upper lip is not fine. He put so much fat in the upper lip and above it, it has changed my smile. The fat above my lip actually pushed the red part of the lip down creating a distorted look, and my lips are further from my nose. I had a terrific smile, but because of my decision (and not researching the doctor and procedure) I rue the day I did this. I have searched tirelessly for a doctor to remove the fat above my lip. I have been in agony for 10 years about this. I believe that mistakes can be corrected to true satisfaction. If anyone can help me, you'd be giving me back my peace of mind. God Bless and am looking forward to the solution.
Oh, no. Not much in my lower face at all. It was alot and in my cheeks. I looked like a chipmunk for months. I guess it looks ok now, but it's just not precise at this time. They really don't know what it's going to look like. One side could harvest better than another on your cheek's for example and you could have a mismatch. Mine looks ok and added fullness, but I looked really fake for a while. And it didn't help with my lower face - and only hurt. The cheeks are a hard area. You need cheekbones and there just don't seem to be a lot of great options without them except fillers and eventually a facelift. I don't know. I think right now SFG is not good enough.
If the fat "took" then why is it gone 2 years later? I thought by "taking" that meant the fat found blood supply and it's permanent.
and what do you mean by precise? Could you elaborate? and where do they jab the needle for the cheeks?
Hi jcutter, how much fat did the dr add - was it just in your lower face?

Thanks for sharing your story, jcutter. I'm sorry it hasn't worked out like you'd hoped, but thanks nonetheless for posting your experience. It's so helpful for others who are considering fat grafting to hear what the long-term results are like.