Labiaplasty- Majora & Minora - Washington, DC

After consultations with 6 different doctors (1...

After consultations with 6 different doctors (1 gyno, 1 urologist, 4 plastic surgeons), I finally had my labiaplasty in January 2013. I had a right/left labia majora reduction, a right/left wedge-technique labia minora reduction, clitoral hood reduction, and removal of excess skin between vaginal opening and rectum. This was done by a plastic surgeon in Washington D.C.

Surgery Day:
I chose to do it under local anesthesia with no valium, etc., because I didn’t have anyone to drive me. After topical numbing cream, then a few verrrry painful shots, we were good to go. The only thing I felt during surgery was some tugging & the actual operation lasted an hour & a half. I should have taken vicodin as soon as the surgery was finished, because I was in a ton of pain by the time I got home an hour later.

The rest of the night was horrible, the pain was excruciating, I could barely walk, and I was bleeding profusely. I would strongly suggest that you have someone with you during the first 24 hours... I didn’t have anyone & was dragging myself across the floor to get water, medicine, etc. It was a really, really tough time. I slept very little that night. (I think if I had done the labia minora operation only, then pain would not have been nearly this severe- So don’t let my story scare you.)

1st day after surgery:
Have you ever seen the TV series Walking Dead? Well, my vagina looked like one of the zombies’ mouths. Awesome.

I stayed horizontal the whole day with ice (except for going to the bathroom, getting food, etc), but the bleeding was insane. I spoke with my Dr’s nurse twice, who was concerned, but said to give it another day. By the end of the day, my apartment looked like a crime scene. Blood on the floor, bloody clothes, bloody towels everywhere… I truly thought I was going to need a transfusion. I ended up sleeping on a garbage bag to protect my bed.

I took 6 vicodin pills during the 1st 24 hours. While I can’t pinpoint where all of the blood was specifically coming from, I really think the pain was due to the labia majora incisions & stitches because it was such a large area.

2nd day after surgery:
I expected to wake up in a pool of blood, but to my surprise, the blood had stayed pretty much on my pad. Yay!!! I rinsed off in the shower & the shower wasn’t red. Yay!!! I stayed horizontal with ice part of the day, but I was able to walk around & do a few things around the apartment. I definitely bled all day, but it was not nearly as much as the day before. I only took one Vicodin when I got up in the morning & that was it for the entire day. I was definitely walking slow & a little funny, but the pain was minimal.

3rd day after surgery:
Minimal bleeding overnight and during the day. My crotch still looks like a train wreck & I am still walking a little funny, but no need for pain meds as the pain is pretty minimal & the side effects of the meds are no longer worth it to me.

Day 5:
Returned to work.

Days 7-14:
The itching is insane! I ended up going to urgent care at one point to see if I have a yeast infection brought on by the antibiotics. Test results came back negative, so it must just be from the healing process. I’d rather have pain!

Day 11:
Had my first check up with the surgeon. He is pleased & said the healing is on track. I still have stitches, but lost a few on the inside of the labia minora- which may have accounted for the prolonged bleeding. This was the first day the bleeding has actually stopped. I still think things look pretty ugly, but I’m not nearly as swollen or bruised.

Day 32:
Another check up with the surgeon. Things have greatly improved & all stitches are gone. I am still tender and maybe a tad swollen on one side, but I would definitely call the whole experience a success. It doesn’t look perfect, and my surgeon reminded me that “perfection” in that area is not normal. My goal was to have less of "everything," and it is a huge improvement and I am very glad I went through with it. I have another check up in 5-6 months, and will decide if I want anything tweaked a little more, but I think with the way I’m built down there, the results are almost as good as they will get.

Day 41:
There are still some areas that are a little hard due to scare tissue & healing, but hopefully with some massaging, these areas will improve.

I would say these are the things/tips I wish I had known:
-Have a friend with you for the 1st 24 hours.
-Have pads. Big ones. Not the dainty little ones you wear with your thongs.
-Urinate while taking a shower the first few days so you don’t have to worry about touching anything & causing more pain.

I hope this helps and best of luck to anyone trying to make the decision!

Davison

Google

Hello I live in the Virginia area, was your surgeon Dr. Stephen Davison in Washington D.C ? Would you recommend him fully?
Sorry for the late response- I am just now seeing this. Yes, I would recommend him. I rated him a little low on the bedside manner only because on the day of the surgery, he seemed a little rushed or annoyed at something (my appt was at the end of the day), and it made me a little uneasy, but that doesn't really matter- results were good. He recently did a slight revision for me because I wanted a little more skin taken off after everything was healed. So, I essentially trusted him twice with this procedure. I say at least go in for a consult! FYI, also have a consult with Dr. Paul Ruff in DC. He is great and it was really hard for me to choose between the two Drs.

This is one of the best labiaplasty reviews I've ever read. Thank you immensely for sharing! I'm really sorry the recovery was so brutal. Are you happy with the way your nether region looks at this point?

Yes, the appearance of everything in that area is greatly improved! I would definitely do it again.