Getting Ready for my BA and TT!! - Dallas, TX

I am 30 years old, I have 4 beautiful children...

I am 30 years old, I have 4 beautiful children ages 7-1 1/2 and I am getting ready to have a BA and either mini tuck or full TT, I'm not sure yet what I need. I am 5'3", 117 lbs, and trying to get back to my normal weight of 110 before I have the procedure so I can know exactly what amount of extra skin to get rid of. My main priority with a TT is the muscle tightening, and if I could find a Dr that just did the endo TT for muscle repair, I would go to them! I have consults scheduled with 2 Dr's here in Dallas next month, waiting on my mammogram first cause breast cancer is very prevalent in my family and I want to make sure I am all clear to do the augmentation. I am also scheduling to speak to my Mom's Oncologist to seek his opinion about my risk/benefit of going ahead, and see if he would recommend I do the full tissue removal or just a regular BA. I would prefer to do a normal BA, but I need to factor his opinion into the equation, I think it's the right thing to do. I want to have my surgery right after Thanksgiving, I think it would be the easiest time for my husband work wise to be able to help with the kids, as well as recover without letting all my friends know, I don't plan on telling a single one of them! I am getting nervous, I hate needles and usually try to live pretty holistic with treatments and organic diet and lifestyle and didn't even have an epidural for my deliveries. So for me, committing to do this surgery is a big deal but I feel like I deserve it to be happy with my body naked and in swimwear after all I do for everyone else. This year is about taking care of me finally, and I want my pre pregnant body back!

The more I think about the surgery and recovery, and the more I read about how difficult recovery is for most people, the more anxiety I get. I told my husband I think I will need some anxiety medication to honestly go through with it, but I know I will be happy with the outcome. We are planning our first family cruise next year and I want to look my best for the pics, I'm sick of being in limited family vacation photos because I hate my muffin top and chubby belly. Please let me know what you did to deal with the anxiety and what helped you actually make it to the hospital. I'm looking forward to it, but so nervous at the same time, I feel like I might just tell my husband last minute I don't want to do it. He has been so supportive of whatever I want to do, he will be there for me, and doesn't even give me an answer when I ask him what breast size he thinks I should get. His answer is always, "Whatever makes you happy and what you want to be is the size I want you to be, this is for you, not for me." I told him I appreciate that, but I already determined this is for me, and I would like his input. But he doesn't want me to feel like I need to do what his "ideal" would be or feel like he was trying to be controlling. I respect his position, so I will ask all of your after my consult what size you would recommend!!

Today I had my yearly exam and my very first...

Today I had my yearly exam and my very first mammogram as well. I should have the response about my images by Tuesday, and I will know if I need to follow up with another mammogram or anything from there. That plays a pretty big factor in my breast augmentation decision, so I'm waiting to see. My OB/GYN said I should be tested for the BRCA gene, but only after I have a life insurance policy because a positive result prior to getting a policy, will affect the premium. He checked my tummy for muscle separation as well and said it's best at my belly button with about 3 cm space, and worse at my torso and just above my pubic bone. He said in his opinion I would benefit from getting the TT, but doesn't think I REALLY need it. So we will see what both PS say next month. I really want to lose those two extra inches in my waist, so if that's what it takes, I'll do it. I am adding some before pics, which is kinda scary to do so I apologize in advance. Let me know what you think based on your own TT/BA experience. I am looking to increase 2 inches in my total chest measurement, and lose 2 inches in both my tummy and hips. Most of it is fat, and I'm trying to work on it. Kinda sorta. Depends on the day. ;-)

Today I had my yearly exam and my very first...

Tried to add to post, but somehow I added the...

Tried to add to post, but somehow I added the review twice without pics.

Met with the Oncologist Today

I met with my Mom's Oncologist today and I'm going to try to get through this quickly because I am very emotional at the moment. He was very sweet and full of helpful information. He told me that based on my high family history of cancer, particularly breast cancer, I need to do the genetic testing and then determine at that point what steps to take considering mastectomy or not, and also to consider having my ovaries removed as well. That scares me to death, I don't want to be on HRT the rest of my life, but I need to at least know my risks. I met with his nurse who will go over my history with me (she gave me 9 pgs of paperwork I have to do) when I come back in next week for "Genetic Counseling" and draw the blood work. It will take 2 weeks to get the results back, and the Dr. recommended I put off the idea of surgery until we discuss my results. I already have my consultations scheduled, and I think there's no harm in meeting with the different PS's and discussing the procedure and costs involved for both options for a regular BA or one with a full tissue removal, as well as narrow down which surgeon I want to use and then follow up with him about my choice when I have the results back. I'm not planning to have the surgery for several months anyway, so I think I'm ok.
We are looking into getting a life insurance policy on me too, I currently do not have one and since as of the moment I am a perfectly healthy 30 year old, it should be easy and cheap.
I honestly had a hard time going into the office today, and the minute I walked in I had a flood of memories of being there with my Mom for some of her treatments and I started shaking and was fighting back tears. I didn't expect that to happen at all. My mom battled cancer for 9 yrs, then lost her fight May of 2010. A week and a half from now marks the 3 yr date of her passing, and this whole month is just challenging. I probably didn't need the added emotions of going into the cancer treatment center this month too, but I am glad I went and feel like I am at least making progress.

A Trip Down Memory Lane

Here are some pics of me in the past. In my ideal shape, and why I'm no longer my ideal shape. LOL.

2 consults so far

I met with two PS's this week, one more next week then I will decide if I want to see more Dr's, or pick one from the three I have seen. My first two were at the same group practice (which I didn't know when I scheduled the consultations) and it was a little awkward seeing the other receptionist the following day. Night and day experiences with the two, but both are very good options. My biggest shock was that going into this, I was thinking to get about 350 cc's for my implant size, and thinking anything bigger will make me too top heavy and obvious I had implants. Both PS's said I need at least 400, and preferably 450 cc's to avoid having a lift!! I was shell shocked when I heard the first one say that big of a size, but I guess I shouldn't be because when I was nursing I was a 32GG, and my skin stretched a lot so now I have skin that needs to be filled back up. As far as for the BA, the first PS was concerned that with my family history of breast cancer, if I were to develop breast cancer in the future, I would not have the option of reconstructing the breast with abdominal skin because of the TT and wanted me to be aware that even though he didn't think it would be recommend to take skin from my tummy since I am so skinny, that it wouldn't even be a possibility. The 2nd told me he wouldn't recommend I get a lift ever with my family history and that I still have a greater likelihood of developing cancer after 50 than most, and having that vertical scar would be very challenging to work with at that point of breast reconstruction. I'm grateful both were very concerned and compassionate about my particular situation, and factored that into their decision for my recommendations.

PS #1 said he recommends the Sientra high profile 465 cc silicone gel implants for me. He said that particular gel is best for women after nursing to get that upper pole filled back in. He also said that since I want my implant under the muscle, you always add 50 cc's because the muscle constricts the implant a little and flattens it. I was comfortable with the 397 I tried on, so 450 would make sense I guess. I was just in total shock with the size I would require to avoid a lift and any sagging.

PS #2 recommended I go with the Allergan ultra high profile silicone gel 400 cc's implant. He said I needed anywhere from 400-450 and that I would still have a little droopiness with the 400, but I would look more natural. It was really about whatever I wanted to do, and he was happy to put that one in.

Both PS's were open with me that I will be top heavy and not look natural or proportionate because once I have the TT, I will be really skinny (they used that work a LOT to describe me in my consultations and it actually made me uncomfortable because I don't see myself as that skinny) I asked if I could get back to 24 inches like I was before children and both felt confident I will be there, and PS #2 said possibly even smaller. They both informed me that all the bunching and bulging on my tummy is skin, not fat. I was shocked to hear that too, I really thought it was fat. They both said they would only take about 100 cc's out of each hip, but that I didn't need it anywhere else really. PS #1 would do Vasser, PS #2 traditional lipo. PS #1 would take a little less skin (from just below my BB down) and I would have a scar from inner hip to inner hip with a small vertical scar in the middle about an inch or so up. PS #2 would take a little more skin (from an inch above my BB down) and have a longer scar running from outer hip to outer hip with no vertical scar. That's why he thinks I will be around 23 inches afterwards, cause he wants to pull me tighter which I'm honestly a little scared about. PS #1 said for the BA, TT, and lipo would be 5.5-6 hrs. PS #2 said BA, TT, and lipo would be 3 hrs!! Either he is faster with stitching, or the other one takes a bit more time to be precise.

So please give me your input. Based on my photos, do you think 465 cc's is too much, or am I just being silly? Do you think I should go with the more aggressive TT, or slightly less aggressive with a vertical scar? Then I need to see one more and insert his most likely very different opinion into this too!!

Trying to schedule my date!

I am trying to see if I can move my date up to Sept, but I'm not sure with my husby's job if that will work. I've just been mulling over this for so long now, and I'm ready to move forward and be done already!! I have decided on my PS and now I just have to see if it will work to move my date up, and then schedule it!!! Can't wait. I will trust him with the 465 cc HP Sientra implants, and do the slightly less aggressive TT (we are talking one inch higher of skin the other PS wanted to do but with a much bigger scar) and the smaller scar with the small vertical (which will be from where my BB was). My reason for this is that I am not that concerned with the vertical which I initially thought I would be, and if I have to chose between a scar that I know will be concealed versus one that might not be on the sides, I will take the first option! The PS I chose said he could place the scar just about my pubic line, so a 1/2 inch vertical from that low isn't going to show.
I just need to schedule it already, I'm going nuts! I've been wearing the rice testers (thanks a ton my3sons2005!!) and my kids never mentioned anything to me about it for over a week, so I don't think they will even notice the difference in size!! I'm freaking out about it more than I need to, it's just hard to visualize how it will look after the fact, even when wearing the testers. My husby said wearing them I look just like I did before having kids, so I just need to relax. Trying really hard, I promise! I hope everyone is having a great summer and getting the most of it before the school year starts in a month or so! XOXO

I Need Some Advice

I am in the process of scheduling my surgery, the PS has the date open that I want, and I'm excited to move forward. However, my husby will be taking a work trip with extended travel (like a couple months) either two or three weeks after the surgery date. I need advice from those who have done this already, were you able to take care of the kids and household responsibilities at that point post op and feel I will be fine to move forward? I really am afraid that if I don't do it now, I will not be able to do it for at least another year or that life will continually get in the way and it will never happen. But I also don't want to risk my recovery. Will I be able to get the kids up and off to school, and drive them all over to after school circulars and do meals and bedtime? Will it harm my recovery, or maybe just make it a little harder? Or have you been fine to handle all that at that point? Please, ANY advice you gals can give me will help a lot. Thanks!

Oh yeah! I forgot to mention your gastric sleeve! Thats awesome! Wish I could do something like that too. When are you doing it? When are you having your BA done? Same PS??
Oops this was meant for Lauren and I cant figure out how to delete?? Sorry!! Lol!!
The TT sounds great and you will slim down a lot..but you have pretty breasts and if you absolutely must have implants go small or you will look the same as all the other women running around with obvious implants... remember they don't last forever.. Best wishes
Did you get e surgery done yet?
No, I really wish I have. I want to do it so badly! We had some unexpected things come up that my surgery money had to cover, so I am still unsexy and saggy and hoping it can happen soon. I will keep you updated. How are you feeling now? Are you moving forward with the BA?
Yes. I am having that done here in the next month, and then getting gastric sleeve. I'm not severely overweight, but can't loose it, or keep it off. So going to make a permanent change.
Well good for you if that's what you want to do. I am feeling very "stuck" right now in several ways in my life and I'm less than thrilled about it. I hope it's over soon and that I can schedule my freaking surgery and get the body I want!!!
I too didn't tell any family. Just a few friends. Hubby stayed working from home for 3 weeks after my surgery and now I have family in town to help but I've only told them I can't do heavy lifting because of a hernia. Good luck!! Can't wait to hear your review and be there for you while you heal. So excited for you:-)))
Thank you so much for your support!!!! I appreciate your encouragement and advice.
Hi SexyMama82!!! You'll be fine but you need to take it one step at a time and listen to your body. Not sure how much your 1 year old weighs but if under 20lbs you should be fine by 3rd week. But try only to carry when u absolutely have to. Your older kids should be fine as long as you prep them before your surgery. Let them know you will not be at your 100% at all for a while and you need all the help you can from them.
Hi there I'm 3 weeks PO full tummy tuck, thigh lift, buttocks lift and although it's a different surgery, I was able to return to work and do all those things you mentioned 2 weeks PO (no muscle repair on me). Follow ALL the advice of newmetime-she has provided so much helpful information and definitely had it down and was very successful! You will do great!! :)
Thank you!
By week two I was back into the swing of things. Working 10 hour days, then picking babies up from daycare and taking care of them till 8pm when daddy got home. I felt fine, and faired well. I think it really has alot to do with your current health, and how your body responds to this kind of thing. How did you do after having babies? Do you typically heal quickly? That first week will knock you out -tired, so my best advise would be this: MOST IMPORTANT: HAVE FAITH!! Pray, and give all of your worries over to God. Trust in him, and you will be good to go! From that, these other words of advise go as follows: 1. Make sure you plan ahead to have someone take kids if possible. 2. Make sure you have someone to take care of you. Make your meals, wake you for meds, help you get up to potty. 3. Sleep sleep sleep- that whole week! Very important! You can do your walking for your legs at potty time. I used an eye cover to keep it extra dark..felt sooooo good! Oh, and keep ice bags on the girls 24/7! Just be sure to keep the cold off your nipples, and have a thin fabric between you and the bags. Have the bags on the upper part of your chest. For me, it felt wonderful! 4. Eat light, and stay away from Carbs, Gluten & Sodium as much as possible. Take vitamins like c, b, e and zinc. Drink a good amount of water and pineapple juice, and even tea if you would like (dandelion, mint etc are good for this) Foods I ate most of were; cooked spinach with a little butter and sprinkled with parmesan cheese, steamed Broccoli with little butter, salads with raw almonds, sunflower seeds and pumpkins seeds, Greek yogurt, Tuna fish, and stir fry with yellow squash, zuchinni, red peppers & mushrooms cooked in olive oil, garlic and a little balsamic vinegar. These foods are easier on digestion, and won't take the energy off your healing like other meats, carbs and processed foods will. You can certainly eat some pineapple, and other fruits too, but be sure to eat them separate from other foods, and at least 1/2 hour between. 5. Take your meds on time.. 6. I highly recommend laying in your bed with it dark and cool in the room- warm blankies. Prop you head and legs up with pillows so you lay in a U or V position- depending on your tightness. You will need help with this positioning and propping. Each day you may notice the tightness loosening up a little, and you can adjust a little flatter as you feel best. Within a week, you may feel like you can lay your head on one pillow. ;) 7. Wear your binder religiously. 8. Think positively, and use this down time for a mental break/rest along with the physical rest. Your mind and body will heal together, and they will thank you! Enjoy it! 9. Keep your arms down along your sides as much as possible during this week- even as you sleep. 10. Have a supply of surgical bandages, bacitracin, antiseptic wash, surgical tape, ice for your ice packs (or peas). I hope this helps sweetie!!
Thank you for your detailed post! I usually heal pretty quickly after delivery, but I have not had a c-section. I tore pretty bad with my first and that was a difficult recovery with a newborn, but I will not have a newborn this time. I needed assistance moving and had a hard time sitting up on my own, which I think I will experience in this case for a few days as well. Another concern is that I do NOT like pain medication!! I had all 4 of my kids naturally with no epideral and go home from the hospital right at 24 hrs post delivery with the pediatrician's ok. I'm concerned about taking pain meds, they usually make me quite sick when I have had to take something. Most of them make me vomit, even a lot of the anti-neasua meds. Will I be ok with just Tylenol after surgery meds wear off?
Very possible Tylenol will work for you. Talk to your PS and see what he says. Additionally, have you looked into liposuction? Looking at your photos, I see a beautiful stomach. Any concerns you have could possibly be addressed with lipo (besides muscle repair), which would allow you to keep you nice tummy without the scars. Because you have such little fat (that I can see), you could end up with a higher scar if u had the full TT. Most women I've seen on here tiny like you have ended up with higher scars because of the lack of skin & or fat to pull down, and of course, your cute belly button would be exchanged for a new (posdibly not a cute) one . It seems like there would be a possible way to get the muscle repair like you had mentioned early on.. Have you been asking around? I'm curious about this. I would hate for you to exchange that nice tummy and belly button for scars that can't be covered by a bikini or under garments, and or a belly button you don't like. Lipo can make a HUGE difference to lose some inches. Have you looked at any before after photos of this yet? Just thought I'd put that out there.
All the PS's I consulted with told me I have very little abdominal fat, and it's really sagging skin. Did you see my pregnancy pic? I get HUGE. I wasn't expecting that reply confirmed by all of them, but if I want a nice flat tummy, I have to get rid of that excess skin. The PS I want to go with said he would do the scar low like I want, but I would have a vertical scar as well cause of my BB. I'm scared to lose my BB cause it's the only one I've ever known, but hopefully it will be worth the exchange.
I forgot to tell you that I did ask around about getting the MR without a full TT, and NO ONE here in Dallas does it. I would most likely have to go to Beverly Hills, and pay a lot more and that would be more inconvenient.
Well the PS would know best! They get to see what you have close up, and should know what your results would be. Ask lots of questions, and mist of sll, Trust your instincts!
Bummer! Well, the next option would be the full TT then, right? Like I mentioned before, you PS should know best, and if you trust him, then don't worry. :). I think you will have the body u desire in no time!
yeah, my PS said I need 4-5 inches of skin removed, and so a full TT is the best option. Trying to make it all happen. I want beautiful perky breasts again too, so hopefully really soon!
The first week will be the hardest so that's mainly when you really need your husband to help out. Do you have a friend that is willing to come over and maybe bring you dinner a couple nights during the week? I had a few who came and brought us dinner and that was a huge help for me. My husband is in the military and works long hours so after just the first couple dates he was gone most of the day and he went for the second week of my recovery into the field so he was gone for 5 days. It's definetly possible for you to do some things three weeks after surgery. You should be able to get around more then and drive then as well. That's when I started driving again. You will be slower and always feel like you want to just lie down because you will feel uncomfortable. You shouldn't put it off, life always gives us challenges so something might come up later as well. I had the same issue with worrying I wouldn't have help. My kids are a little older though so it made it easier on me. They were able to help me with things and make their own food. Your housework will be more challenging for a while so if you go into it with the expectations that the house will look like a mess for a while till your able you should be fine. Good luck let me know if you have anymore questions. :)
Thank you so much, you are giving me hope! Maybe I will hire a maid for a few months post op to help with the dusting and deep cleaning so I don't have to worry about that. My oldest two kids LOVE to vacuum and I can count on them to do that for all the bedrooms for me for a bit. I also planned to make and freeze meals ahead of time, and once my hubby leaves I can rely on those. I do have some amazing friends that would help, but I didn't want to tell anyone I am doing this. If I tell someone, people I don't want to know will find out and I would just rather keep it to myself. I don't know how successful I will be at keeping this secret, but I plan to try anyway. I hope I can make this happen and move forward, thank you so much!!
So glad the Rice Testers have helped!! Honestly my 8 yr old barely notice the size change after surgery. I getting excited for you. I promise the first few weeks are going to be hard with the swelling and soreness but in the end you will love everything. Just keep positive that helped me out a lot along with the support of my hubby.
I think that your results are going to be stunning!!!!
Thank you, I'm very excited!! Wow, stunning, I haven't been referred to as that since before having kids! :)