All on Four in Dallas! - Dallas, TX

I had a stroke 3 years ago. Needless to say dental...

I had a stroke 3 years ago. Needless to say dental hygine was the least of anybody's concern. I have broken and decayed teeth and from what I've been told by the doctors, not sufficient bone density for the standard implant.

I chose to go with the permanent dentures because -no bone graft -most similar to natural teeth -no movement of dentures while chewing -immediate results, I dont have to go a day without teeth.

Good or bad, I'll keep everyone updated of my experience. Surgery is 14 days from today.

John Michael Stewart (oral surgeon), Dr. Castellon (prosthodontist)

I interviewed 5 other specialists in the past year. Experience is key! They made reccomendations and customized a treatment plan that was specific to what was most important to me.

I had a stroke in 2010 and lost a lot of teeth. I'm looking to get permanent teeth of some kind but I can't afford 20-30 thousand dollars . Any thoughts or suggestions?
Please check out tottcatering's review, under the March 7, 2013 update.

Also, please look at the Dental Implants forum How much does ClearChoice cost? and search for user mrenville.  He has a long, detailed bit of advice there of how he managed to afford it.

Good luck!  And if it manages to work for you, we'd be extremely grateful to hear back from you!
you are all making me cry with so much joy and happiness for you!! only all of you can understand what its like to not be able to smile! I so much would love to be able to have this done..
hello Fannie, usually in your case, if you dont have enought bone, its recommended to have a bone graft done in the same surgery of the implant placement. The factor that determines if you can or not have a implant its not the bone actually, there is a lot of new techniques in this days, the most important thing its the proximity of the alveolar mandibular nerve, or the situation of the maxillary sinus. by the way, if you dont have enought bone a permanen denture over your existing teeth are not recommended. if you need information please pm me, subscriber of this email is MD. DDS & Craneal-maxillofacial surgeon. Jose Alonso DDS

Hi Fannie, I don't even know really where to begin. I have a mouth full of crowns, bridges and root canals. I am 47 and over time by bridges and crowns have started to break to the point that they can't be fixed. I have looked into implants and have met with both a dentist and oral surgeon. Long story short I have decided to go with a denture implant. I can't afford the natural teeth implant that is completed in one visit. I was wondering if you can tell me roughly what yours cost? I was quoted $20,000.00 for the implant for my upper teeth. The denture implant is going to cost me roughly $9345.00 dollars before insurance and $7801.00 after the insurance. That includes having teeth extracted. I am so nervous and scared right now, but I have to get something done soon. Any information that you may have will be greatly appreciated. Also, I have been told that my dental insurance will not cover implants, but will cover the extractions. Do you know if there is a dental ins. out there that does covers implants. I also currently wear a partial on the bottom from where those bridges broke a few years back. I have sort of gotten use to the partial, but I do feel like there is something constantly in my mouth.

Susan1599, I know you directed your question to Fannie but if you don't mind I'll give you the details of the cost of my procedure which I had done 11 weeks ago. My procedure consisted of having all my teeth extracted (28 total) and then the implant surgery / upper and lower 8 implants total. My total cost was $42,000. I took half out of my retirement account and I financed the other half through Carecredit. I probably could have saved a few thousand if I had this procedure done by one of the National Implant Surgery centers that you see advertised but I chose to use my own Dentist and his team to complete my procedure. I go back later this month for my 3 month exam to see how well the implants are adhering to the bone. I'm not aware of any Dental Insurance that will cover implant surgery although I have been told some will cover traditional dentures, have you researched mini dental implants or the snap in denture procedure they are not permanent as you would have to take them out while sleeping but they are considerably less expensive than the all on four procedure. Hope all works out well for you.
That's exactly how i feel! Hard to get use a mouth full of teeth after having been so long with out them. I'm drinking shakes since I'm still getting use to the teeth. I've bitten myself once and it hurt while eating soft foods. I dont need to rush in getting back to normal. I went in for my one week check up yesterday. The Dr Castellon filed some stuff down and my bite feels so much better. I love how natural they look. I was worried that it would look fake or "too big" for my mouth. I'm still not completely use the feeling yet but its more and more comfortable each day. I probably dont need the pain meds but i like how it helps me sleep through the night. So I'm just going to keep taking half doses until its done.
Fannie, Funny you mentioned bitting yourself I did the exact same thing on the inside of my cheek it happed while I was asleep a few days after the procedure. Stay the course and just be mindful on the pain meds since they are pretty strong stuff, best to tapper off those as soon as you can and sub with Tylenol or something similar. Glad your doing well.
Fannie, Glad to hear your procedure went well. I'm on week 6 since my procedure and I had some swelling and bruising a few days after the surgery which subsided after a few days. I have to second Byugal's feelings of having all this stuff in your mouth it's an odd feeling but I'm pretty much used to it now. My only problem I had soon after my procedure was trying to keep up on enough calories to help with the healing process. I will say I received some great support from those who have had this done and they were all correct if your hungry enough you will find a way to get those calories. I drink three high count protien drinks daily along with a soft diet. Trust me if you cut it small enough you can eat just about anything. Keep smiling !!!!!
Thanks so much! Doing good so far. Not much swelling or bruising yet but its still early. I'll give a thorough update when I have more energy, feeling tired from the medicine. I have a pretty smile again! :) BYUGAL, how long until you felt 100% comfortable? any tips you have will be helpful.
I honestly can't remember how long it took to feel 100% comfortable. I know at first, it bothered me a little, feeling like I had so much "stuff" in my mouth. They felt sort of tight, but then I realized one day that they feel completely natural. I was so motivated to get this done....I was prepared to put up with some discomfort, but honestly, except for getting used to them being in my mouth, I can't say that they were that bad at all. I didn't have to take anything for pain. Dr. Brueggen prescribed two different antibiotics and honestly, that was about the worst of it. One of them made me feel slightly nauseated every time I took it. I was happy when I had finally taken them all. I didn't have much swelling, so didn't use anything like an ice pack. I had one little area to the left of my chin that felt numb for about three weeks. I was prepared to live with that forever, if necessary, but he told me that was from bruising a nerve and it would most likely go away, and it has. All in all, it was about as easy as could be. It is funny....people's comments. Several people have remarked on how nice I look....I look 10 years younger...and go on and on....and then I tell them I had my "teeth done". They said they never noticed I didn't have nice teeth. Well, if that is true, it is because I never smiled. I was always concentrating when I talked to someone...."are my lips closed?" It took awhile for me to get past that and not have to think about it every time I smiled. Another nice thing....I had quit wearing make up. I used to be so vain when I was younger. I raised horses and I wouldn't even go to the barn without make up. Now I put on a little make up every day. I used to have to worry about lipstick....trying to find a shade that made my teeth look white, or one that wouldn't call a lot of attention to my mouth. I haven't felt comfortable buying lipsticks in 20 years. Now I can go in and buy any color I want. It may sound silly, but it is the little things that mean the most to me. Any more questions I can answer, ask away. Over all though, my experience has been good, and even though I had seen Dr. Brueggen on tv and watched videos he made, and he said it was easy and painless....and I read everything I could find on the subject, I really wasn't prepared for it to be as easy as it has been. If it had been hideously painful...it would still be worth it to me. The fact that it has been as easy as it has been, is just a huge plus. Oh, one more thing. I was telling one of my neighbors about it, and he said he didn't believe me that it was painless. I've had teeth pulled before....had an infected tooth pulled when I was young and the dentist couldn't deaden it and he kept telling me I was only feeling pressure....bull corn!! Tears ran down my cheeks and it gave me a life long dread of dentists. I have had teeth pulled and had a dry socket that hurt worse than the toothache the tooth had to begin with. I have had horrible pain from my teeth....and it does sound crazy that you can have this procedure done and have little discomfort, but it is true.
Fannie, just want to wish you good luck. I had this done in November. Totally pleased so far. No problems. I also researched this for a long time...about 3 years. I believe you will really love the implants. If you have any questions that I can help you with....from another patient's point of view....please let me know.
Hi byugal, I couldn't help to chuckle when you commented about feeling so much stuff in your mouth. It's been about 5 months now for me and I still feel so much stuff in my mouth. When I put food in my mouth I have to make sure its small enough bites because my mouth really feels even more full with just a small bite of something.
My teeth feel so natural now that I don't even notice them. I got a notice in the mail the other day that it is time for a check up. I need to call and make an appointment. I guess it is time for the permanent teeth. I have really been pleased with how nice the "temporary" ones look. Most people can't believe it when I tell them they are the temps.
I went this last Monday and go back June 1st to start procedures of getting the permanents. They said it will take the next two visits to get fitted for permanents. Let me know what your doctor tells you. CC said I have to get re-sized for the perms by biting down on some wax or something with my gums and implants, and then go back to choose what color and size of teeth. Then third visit perms are ready to place..
That sounds reasonable....what your doctor told you. I will let you know what I hear from mine. I need to call and make an appointment Have you given much thought to how you want your permanent teeth to look? I actually haven't thought very much about mine. Dr. Brueggen did comment that my temps looked good on me. You know since they do it all in one day, you don't really have any say about how the temporary teeth look, but I thought they did a real good job. There was one woman on his webpage that I think her teeth just look amazing. These are the most realistic looking teeth I've ever seen. http://i40.tinypic.com/24bkuc4.jpg.
You'll need to copy and paste that link to see the picture.

Beautiful! That gives me hope :) thanks for sharing!

How are you doing with the feelings that come along with an upcoming surgery date? I know it can be nerve wracking, so hopefully you have some good support to help you through.

Have you started stocking up on some nice mushy foods for your healing period?