Lower Face Lift and Upper/Lower Eyes - Dallas, TX

I had jowles, my neck was sagging, eye lids...

I had jowles, my neck was sagging, eye lids dropping over my eyes and bags underneath my lower lids. I was looking years older than 49. It has given my self-confidence back and I feel more attractive and accepted.

I have posted before and after pictures of my...

I have posted before and after pictures of my surgery and it has been 19months. I am seeing Dr. Burns in the near future for some lasering and possible a brow lift. I have been using botox on my forehead but have spoken to Dr. Burns about a brow lift when I come in to do some corrective surgery on my eyes. I have somewhat of an indention and fat pockets underneath my eyes which developed about 8months after my surgery or that is when they became very noticeable. I spoke with Dr. Burns at that time and he assured me he will correct this. I am not sure if we will do this through removing some fat and or fat injections but we need to fill in some areas underneath the eye at the time of my other surgery. The face is the first thing people connect with so I think making sure my eye area is as perfect as we can get it is extremely important and I am waiting to hear from Dr. Burns office to workout a few details. Dr. Burns is not going to charge me for the work that will need to be done pertaining to the surgery that he has already performed. I will update as the process continues and look forward to what Dr. Burns has to say and making plans to correct my eyes. Dr. Burns has been very kind to me and I trust him to take care of these concerns and look forward to hearing what approach he wants to take. I would apprecaite any feedback or opinions/comments that you may have.
Dallas Plastic Surgeon

Dr. is wonderful and after consulting with many area plastic surgeons, I was most comfortable and confident not only with his years of experience but my instant connection with him on a human level. He was straight forward on results that I could expect and very reassuring before, during and after my surgery.

Fantastic result.
Your photos look great! I live in the East. Are there any good docs here that anyone knows of to do a facelift?
Has anyone had a facelift with Dr. Neil Gordon in Connecticut or with Dr. Jonathan Pontell in Pennsylvania? I have heard that Dr. Gordon can be very full of himself but is an excellent surgeon. Dr. Pontell has a good reputation as per comments posted but I can't tell if it is his own staff that posted the comments. I need to get a facelift due to some bad lipo work done by another surgeon who was new at it. Any tips would be helpful. Thanks.

Hi Forlorn -- Here are a few reviews for Dr. Pontell. You can read recommendations for other doctors here (sorted by those closest to you). Hope this helps!

Doctor Jay Burns did a forehead lift on Susan a year ago,It is still perfect and his nurse
Tara is wonderful.
Tara is not a "nurse" unless she has obtained her LVN or RN recently. I hope she has, she's a nice person and I think would make a very good nurse.
I'm concerned about your Dr's recommendation. An erbium will not resolve an indentation in the cheek. Please post a question for the surgeons here, and I am confident they will say the same. Best wishes.
I think you look amazing! The cost is high, imo, but the jawline is fantastic. I would prefer to fix everything at once rather than keep having to return. Why did you choose to not do a brow lift or eye lift at the same time as the lower face lift? Why did you choose botox which is temporary over a permanent fix?

I am so happy to have a place to share with others how their lower face lifts have turned out. I just had one done two days ago and am excited to see full results. So, far not much swelling or bruising. The doctor I used has done my mother and father and did a breast augmentation on me 10 yrs. ago. to perfection. Of course the pain is uncomfortable right now. For future people thinking of doing this procedure, I was told no salt for a week prior and after for maximum result. I organic juiced and kept a extreme salt free diet with both surgeries. I have attribute this to a better outcome. I live in Boca Raton, Fl which is a plastic surgery mecca, but chose to go to Mt. Sanai because of the work I've seen the doctor do on so many. It's a great sign when they do the [plastic surgery on all the nurses throughout the hospital, too. Hope to share with you in a few weeks again about full outcome!

Merri Bernice, would you mind sharing with me the surgeon you used. I live in South Florida and would appreciate a referral.
I saw my PS and he has suggested that we try CO2 lasering and see if that will not take care of the indentions between my eyes and check bones. He was willing to redo my lower lids, but we decided to try lasering first. If that does not give me the best result then he will redo the lower lids. I have also decided that I will do erbium lasering and he only charged me the fee of the surgical room/anesthesia for 2,000. He said if he has to go back and redo my lower lids that he will take care of the fee. I am paying the $2,000 because I have opted for the lasering but if I had not he would have just done the CO2 around the eyes. He was very open to doing whatever it takes to make me happy with my results. He did not think my lower lids look as severe in person as my photos, but was listening and very attentive to my concerns and willing to do whatever it takes to make it better. I did consult with another surgeon that said he would go in and take out the extra fat and did not talk about lasering as an option. I will visit one other for another opinion but Dr. Burns is the original surgeon and has tried to be accomodating and I look forward to a full face laser treatment by Dr. Burns because I think he is probably one of the best laser surgeons in the country.
I wanted to give a quick update. I had my surgery on March 23rd (Friday) and so far all is great. I have taken pictures every day for the first week, skipped one day and then took more the day after. I am shocked at how quick my face has healed. My lower eyes are still a little puffy, almost like I have allergies, and my forehead is still tight but very smooth. I couldn't be happier with the results and so glad I stayed with Dr. Burns. He was amazing and even removed various age spots all over my face at no charge. I had my second checkup today, 11 days out, with some makeup on and everyone was surprised at how well I have recovered, no bruising. My eyes are still dry which I knew would happen and a little puffy as I stated but other than that, it's great. I can't wait to see what the end result will be in a few more weeks. I will try and post photos when I can. If anyone is in the Dallas area and is considering cosmetic surgery, you definitely need to see this guy.
I think you just lucked out or maybe he took his time and was more gentle. I'm so glad for you. I too am very happy. I had very little swelling, 2 small bruises, one under the eye and one on the chin. The whole experience was TOTALLY different than the one I had with Burns all the way from the surgical team to the bandages to the hotel to the nurses, I can't tell you how different. I'm going to write a detailed comparison with pics to compare the 2 experiences as soon as I have time. I'm going to lunch today with friends (before I didn't go out for months because I looked like a monster. Dr. Rohrich and his staff are amazed at how fast I'm healing. I'm seeing them about every 4 days. Even after your post, I still would not recommend Burns. There are some of his former patients still trying to get corrections/revisions from him so they aren't posting publicly what they really think because they don't have the resources to pay someone different.
I am glad you had a better experience. It does seem very surprising that we both had such entirely different opinions. From the looks of everyone in the waiting area this week, I would have to say he is doing something right. He has also told me that even as I still recover certain things could happen and if they do to please let him know immediately because he can fix it. I believe we there are risks with any surgery and cosmetic surgery is certainly no different. Nobody whether it's the patient or the doctor can predict with 100% certainty how someone will react or how they will heal when it's all said and done. I went in with this mindset and also with the trust from a doctor that said he would make it right should something go wrong, within his power obviously.
Yes, I've heard he goes to hotels to little info sessions to drum up business and, of course, he advertises his appearance on Oprah so people think he's got to be good if Oprah had him on. I have actually never seen more than one other patient waiting at any given time and if you call for an appointment, he can see you within a few days (which tells me he has lots of openings). He also assured me and my husband that he could correct "anything " except nerve damage before the surgery but failed to fully inform and explain the surgery, the recovery, the risks, and the possibility that I would never look like the same person. I began to loose trust due to his CRNA. Her approach/ bedside manner and anesthesia was not at all what I had experienced from previous surgeries (I've had several due to breast cancer) which made me very nervous and then Tara didn't know how to remove the tubes (she was supposed to either cut the tubes or release the suction from the bulbs before pulling the drains and then laughed and stated "and to think you signed up for this" when I complained that she was hurting me). You're right "Nobody" can "predict with 100% certainty" but I had a RIGHT to be informed of every detail and every possibility. If he had just REALLY prepared me for the worst (for example: You may not be able to return to work for several months if you're the type that will be embarrassed if you don't look completely normal. Or: It may be several months before you'll look normal") I would've had a completely different mindset. Maybe my expectations are too high but I'm an RN and I want to be treated like and cared for like I would care for my own patient and I am not intimidated by doctors. I am the customer and I expect to be treated as such. I'm very glad you had a good experience and good results but your comments haven't altered my opinion of Jay Burns or my experience. I would still not recommend him for anything but MAYBE laser if someone insisted on having laser (which I'm not in favor of).
I am so sorry you had a bad experience This kinda of scares me,but my experience
was different.Dr Burns has been elected 9 times as the best Doctor in America.
Both Doctor Burns and Tara are Christians and they read the bible and pray for me..

It looks like you had quite a lot of bruising... how long was it before this went away?

Hi Sharon, it was probably about 3 weeks. Is this normal? I am seeing my doctor soon and hopefully, he can arrange for the correction of my eyes. I am looking forward to getting this taken care of.

Yeah, that sounds about average to me. Facelift recovery can take a while, especially that last little bit of swelling. Hang in there and I hope you get good news from your doc.

Love11, thank you for the photos. You look great. I do see the little indention that you spoke of. Did Dr Burns think the lower bleph surgery caused this? I am having this done as well. Right now I only have what I consider mild puffiness under my eyes at any giving time and I am hoping this will take care of that. I also noticed your post off photo of your eyes, how uncomfortable was it really? How long before you could put some makeup on and feel okay about it?
Notforme, what did you have done? What complications have you had since you had your surgery? Do you look better than you did?
If you're going to Jay Burns, be very careful and ask for details. Ask direct questions and don't let the answer be general, get a complete answer, if he dances around it, ask it again. After asking him a direct question about the hairline, he did not give me a complete and honest answer. I do not have sideburns and my hairline is receded, dead give-away. If you're wise, you'll get several opinions and ask questions such as: Will my hairline change at all- When will I look normal enough that no one will notice that I've had surgery (I'm 14 months out and I'm just now looking more normal)- What are the risks for retraction with lower bleph (the risks are high, just ask an oculoplastic surgeon)(I've been told my eyes will never be the same)- Will I look the same as before the surgery but without the sags and wrinkles- What are any possible complications- What can I expect as far as a successful outcome?
I had my neck done (which I loved) my lower eyes (lids) and jowel and I used and having been using botox for my forehead. I also had my upper lids done and I think it cost me around $17,000. I am going back to have a brow lift this Summer and some touch-up to my lower lids.
Thanks for the reply once again. I didn't think my face was in that bad of shape but I initially he said if I wanted to really take care of all my areas do concern then a facelift would be the gold standard. I explained that I cannot take that kind of time off but definitely wanted to do something that would make me look more refreshed and younger and we decided on the brow lift and lower bleph for the eyes. He actually said my upper eyes looked good which I am glad. My surgery is scheduled for March.

What was the down time with your procedure? I am hoping to be presentable within 12 to 14 days after mine because I have a work related trade show I will need to attend just shy of two weeks after its all said and done?

One thing he did mention was by doing this procedure now that it would make the down time less when I decide to come back and do the facelift.
Love11, I saw the pics you posted and you do not need a brow lift. Hopefully the swelling will go down and all that between the lower eyelid at the upper cheek will smooth out. If I were you, I'd wait a full year before doing anything else. The brow lift is what changed my eyes. I now look like I have droopy upper lids and the oculoplastic surgeon says there's nothing he can do about that. GET THE OPINION OF AN OCULOPLASTIC SURGEON and you'll hear the truth about the risks. What about your smile? Are you still worried about that?
Hey, just wondering if you had Dr. Burns do the procedures that you were wanting and what your thoughts are, and what you actually decided to have done.