Bad Result with Canthopexy -Dallas, TX

I had a canthopexy from Dr. Neurohr. He had done a...

I had a canthopexy from Dr. Neurohr. He had done a canthopexy on me about 10 years ago so I just assumed this one would go well also. The result has been disastrous: scar tissue pulled both my eyes down much lower than they were before. You can see and feel the scar tissue on the exterior of my lower eyelids. Initially, one of my eyes was actually hanging open on one end. I am totally not presentable without sunglasses. He injected dilute steroids underneath the lids once and after that, I decided to go to an oculoplastic surgeon. The oculoplastic surgeon said I will have to have skin grafts to fix my eyes and they can't be fixed until they are totally healed. Dr. Neurohr did a great facelift, and I just don't know what happened with the eyes. He doesn't seem to know either.

Oh my gosh that sounds so disappointing.  Please keep us posted on your healing and whether you do the skin grafting.  Thank you for sharing your experience.  I hope you find support in our Community.

3 months later

Eyes still look horrible and lids are way lower than they should be. I went to a good oculoplastic surgeon and he says I will need skin grafts and no surgery can be done for 6 months. This experience has ruined my life as well as my appearance. I still wear dark glasses even at work. My advice would be that an oculoplastic surgeon should be the one to do canthopexy. I never got any answers as to what may have caused this situation. The dr. made no effort to reimburse me for even a fraction of my cost.

How is everything going now?  We'd love to see a review update to hear what you've been up to.
I went to Dr. Itani at UT Southwestern in Dallas. The grafts are great. Have had them for at least four years now after the same experience mentioned in this thread. Dr. Itani did it PERFECTLY. The only difficult part is that you are slightly awake because you have to be able to keep your eyes open while he works and there is a strong light that he uses that goes right into your eyes while he stitches. That is a very minor thing…and probably wonderful that he uses such a bright light as a tool to stitch. My eyes are prettier now and they close completely. Good luck!
Isabel28, Can you inform as to the top ocular surgeon you went to and who may or may have already corrected for you? I am wanting to learn of the top, experienced surgeon specializing in eyelids in the DFW area. Sorry for your problem resulting from Neuhror's surgery. Thank you in advance!
Dallas Plastic Surgeon

Great facelift but devastating result of canthopexy.