Dental Implants in - Costa Rica

My teeth have never been in tip-top shape, but...

My teeth have never been in tip-top shape, but when they started getting loose and falling out, it really scared me. I went to my dentist and was informed that I would need to have all my upper teeth removed and replaced with dentures or implants.
My first stop was the free consultation with Clear Choice. I never saw a dentist, but spent considerable time with the financial consultant determining my credit scores and best method of payment and the payment plans abailable. Estimated cost for upper mouth only $20,000.-$25,000. This would include the removal of all upper teeth, 4 implants, temporary and permanent upper bridge.
Next stop was with a specialist that I found in D Magazine, "Best in Dallas." We spent a lot of time going over my images, discussing bone density, placement of implants, types of crowns and removal of teeth. I found it to be very informative and am thankful for the time that I was spent with me, (At least I got to see the dentist!) I was then escorted to a seperate room where I received a detailed list of all costs and suggested payment plans. Estimated cost $23,00.-$28,000. This included removal of teeth, implants, temporary and permanent bridges.
I spent the next week trying to figure out how I could fit a $350. to $600. monthly payment into my budget.
I still continued my internet search for information and came across a dental implant forum (There are tons of them out there) dealing with implants in Costa Rica. After reading all the pages and making notes of the various pros and cons listed on several dentists, I narrowed my search to two. I then contacted, through emails and phones calls, some of the patients of these dentists. This was not a list of patients supplied through the dentist, but contacts through the forum. I've even got my email address on that forum now and continue to answere questions from folks about my experiences in Costa Rica.
After making my choice of dentiist, I had a panoramic X-ray done and sent to Costa Rica. About a week later, I received a detailed list of work to be done for a Full mouth restoration (This was both upper AND lower, not just the upper mouth estimates that I listed earlier) Estimated cost $10,000 with a 3% discount if I paid cash. WHAT a difference of price!!!
Next, I'll write about my experience in Costa Rica!

To be included in my next installment....

Having my treatments done in Hungary with http://www.dentrips.com, i can say im trully satisfied with the results
I just yesterday completed my treatments at the Cavallini International Dental Clinic. I know I will sound like a shill for them, so will provide an email address to continue the conversation privately. I had three implants, one extraction, 7 crowns, and two bridges (the two bridges includes the count for 6 of the 7 crowns. In the US, cost for this would have been $24K. At Cavallini, $4.4k, plus about $3K of travel expenses (brought my wife for first trip). The work required two trips, each a week long. The second trip involved 9 appointments distributed over 5 days. They warrantee their work for a year. You can buy insurance for $300 that reimburses you for travel up to $600 and lodging for a week if you wish. I learned that 70% of clients buy the insurance, and that only a tiny percentage actually use it (3%?), so i declined it. They will redo work at no cost within a year. They have 8 rooms on site that are very clean and reasonably priced. If you stY there, you do not have to sit hour after hour in one of three waiting rooms. They will call you down from your room when the doc is available. It is not a perfect operation. The travel coordinator, Edward, gets the job done, but his manner is a bit abrupt. Don't take it personally. The administrative side of the operation is not as good as the medical side, or the lodging side. I had to pester them for a detailed bill to present to my dental insurer; it took four emails over a month to get what I needed. On the other hand, Dr. Marco Cavallini Peralta answered every email i sent to him over an 8 month period the same day. Watching him operate (pun intended), that is even more impressive, since he appears to put in 10 and 12 hour days. Francisco, who heads the lodging operation, is outstanding. He will do anything for you. They will pick you up at the airport at no cost, and will shuttle you to restaurants or other destinations for very little cost, will arrange tours, and provide concierge service. The lodging business pays exquisitely good attention to client needs. It seems that every staff member i come into contact with makes it their business to learn my name, and to speak it. Great customer service. As to the quality of the work? I am not qualified to offer professional judgments, but my dentist in the US thought that the implants were of decent quality, and the bridges and crowns feel comfortable. The 3% return rate that i estimate from looking at a clinic spreadsheet, and the high numbers of repeat clients i met at the clinic suggest that quality is quite good. And recall my first observation about $24K worth of work (US price) for about $7.4 K. This is an excellent option to consider.
Wow. That does sound quite impressive from a financial perspective. I am looking at estimated u.s. Pricing around 12 k$. I am on a budget and will need to save up a bit before I take up a dentists time. I am thing in feb. I should be able to go get some work done. I am positive that I will want two different dentists on call for my trip in case one gets "flaky" so I wouldn't combine any hotel or transport with them. Does this dentist require you to stay at a preferred location or be "on call" for them to get work done? My primary reason for asking is I will be looking at FUE hair transplant and nose job possibilities during this same trip. I understand this May sound crazy, but if I am going to have a painful vacation I might as well come back as good as I can afford. The cost savings just seems to be justifying the trip if the price reviews are even close to accurate. Thank you.
My mom loses her three teeth at the upper part, because of this she not even smiles and laugh like the normal way she can when the time she has her all teeth. We decided to let her take the dental implant treatment than to have dentures. Dental implant is not that expensive; actually placidway.com finds us an affordable dental implant package yet the good quality and effectiveness is all there. The package we get was Implant placement plus crown plus laser bleaching and it only cost $1900 USD. My mom’s implant is so naturally looking. She is now back into her normal life, smiling to anyone and chatting to her friends without any worries.
Good god. Where did you get this done for 1900$? I should go there. US average for that would be nearly 3500$ per tooth.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

PlacidwAy says that price will cover 1 implant and crown in Costa Rica but certainly not 3? They also require two trips for any implants, so travel cost alone would almost certainly exceed this 1900$ #. Maybe you didn't mention the dentist for a reason? PlacidwAy is a middleman referral service working on commissions.
I was just quoted 7,000 for two implants in Tampa FL, USA, then 6,000 for the restoration part afterwards with a 68.00 mouth guard ( I grind terribly ). The guard I can use my insurance for. I left those offices feeling sick and they say, "oh, just go get Care Credit and charge it.) For those who paid in cash, how does that work? Don't know many who just have 11,000 laying around. I mean, do you go to the bank and they hand you a check and you cash it to give to your Costa Rican dentist of choice? Basically, I'm looking for personal stories of how others did the financing part. I will also be coming alone most likely so scared to death about this whole thing. I'm surprised the dentists there don't have an entire package such as travel fees, hotel, transportation. You'd think with the money they make on US citizens they would have that. My email is j***@aol.com if you'd prefer to write me directly. Thank you in advance!
I had slightly more costly quote today in Clearwater Florida. Although just one implant plus some caps and fillings 3 total extractions. From everything read on here and recommendation from a customer, I am now planning a feb or March trip to Costa Rica. I am simply not rich enough for American medical services apparently... I own a small business so no insurance seems to = medical on all vacations. On a side note for those who wonder about minor price differences in medical. I got strep throat in Phnom Penh, Cambodia ( Southeast Asia) last year. My total cost all inclusive with most expensive antibiotics in the city from France came to 10,000 real which = about $2.50 in dollars. Unfortunately their idea of dental isn't pretty. Costa or Mexico sounds like my best bet.
I have been doing extensive research on Costa Rican Dentists. There are only three that I would consider: DRs. Cavallini (father & son team), Dr. Anglada with his partner Dr. Castro (they also do charitable work with the Peace Corps) and Dr. Obando (Nova Dental). You can Google their names, e-mail them with questions, which they answer within 24-48 hrs., & they also have phone #'s that you can call them and ask questions (you do not need to call them Internationally, the #'s are either toll-free or USA #'s). The Drs. Cavallini have an on-site recovery center called "Casa Marco" that you can stay in for the duration of your treatment (check availability by calling) and the other dentists have nearby hotels, for example Dr. Anglada is located directly across from a Marriott. You can go on TripAdvisor for the hotels AND forums which are flooded with those who have had services performed by these and other Costa Rican Dentists. Also, Topix is another great resource and gathering place for those either thinking of or already have taken the Costa Rican course. I am not a schill for any of them. I am a person who likes to share information. Isn't that what the internet was for in the first place? As for me, I am planning to visit in May and am planning to see all 3 dentists and my decision will be based on what my gut feeling says is the right thing to do. Then I will start the work immediately. I am planning to go solo. Costa Rica is pretty safe provided you are aware of your surroundings. Although these dentists are in upscale neighboorhoods, do not let your guard down. That goes without saying in any place you travel. Good luck everyone!
Hi, My name is Rick and I've also decided to get some extensive dental work done in Costa Rica. I need to have a root canal, several crowns and bridges. I will also be going to Costa Rica alone. I've noticed a lot of dubious posts though. Makes me wonder who writes these posts. Anyhow if anyone has recent information on dentist any help would be appreciated. I've heard San Ramon is pretty safe with a lot of American expats living there. I'd like to have my work done there. I do like the idea of visiting several dentists however how much work can be done in a week when your just going in for a consultation? I do plan on making a couple of trips. My e-mail address is z****@aol.com.
Will you please share your experience meeting with each of these dental practitioners? I have a few crowns and implants I need to have done. I know of a very satisfied patient of one practice you mentioned, but would like another opinion by someone who speaks to all three, like yourself. Thanks!
It never ceases to amaze me just how greedy some docs are in the states. Case in point: I had my teeth whitened in 1986. For the benefit of the younger people reading this forum, impressions were made (took 3 minutes) and then flexible trays were fabricated. Then you had to buy the medical grade peroxide to put into the trays. You kept them in your mouth for about an hour. It whitened my teeth 2 shades. Big deal. My dentist charged me $500.00. He kept complaining that the dental studio were the ones responsible for making it expensive! Well, I picked up my "expensive" dental trays which came in the original bag from the dental lab. When I opened the bag, lo and behold, the dental lab charged my dentist $50.00! Never went back to the lying SOB. Now, many years later, I am wearing upper & lower dentures--a big drag-I hate them so! BTW- I lost my teeth slowly, due to an autoimmune disease. So now I am looking at implants. HOLY COW!!! I have gotten prices anywhere from $35,000 (those are temporary acrylic type), then another $35,000 for the "finished" product from one dentist another was $85,000 and another $100,000. How do they expect working people to pay these prices? It's not Bev.Hills! And I do not drive a Porsche or Bentley! Comon now! Costa Rica seems worth it now. Thanks for the info!
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Thank you for such a detailed review.
If you look at the posts from people who went to Costa Rica the costs for dental are between $10,000 - $16,000. Compare that to Clear Choice - $40,000. How much do you think travel and hotel is?

MIne was the highest $16,000. Figure I spent about $2,000 for air and hotel and stuff. I only had to go one time. Others have to go twice.

If you only have to get 1 implant then it is not worth it. However, if you are going full mouth you get a better restoration for a lot less. You will save about $20,000

I did a lot of worrying and stuff. I contacted Costa Rican Dental. These guys are good. They answered all my questions and gave me the confidence to go. $20,000 was still a lot of money for me but I feel like I got much better dental and saved $20,000.
For example, I am in Clearwater Florida. Airfare round trip from here averages 340 currently. Hotels are roughly 65$ per night in Costa Rica for a cheaper but descent place. I was just quoted $7967.34 from a (cheap Spanish) doctor here. For this price he is willing to do 3 caps, 14 fillings, 2 root canals, a few "deep" cleanings, and some work to minor to remember. He said I also would have to visit his friend the specialist for the two molar extractions and the one implant to attach one crown to. He said he wasn't for sure what friend would charge but roughed it at 4000. I own a very small business and am by no means rich. I obviously have no insurance. I am only considering Costa Rica do to one of my "far wealthier than me" customers saying to not even think about it, just do it.
My question is also about travel. How long did you have to stay and what was the total cost of air fare and lodging? I don't see the point either if that cost a few thousand.
That cost is definitely a few thousand if you want to be safe In your hotel in San Jose on two visits that all these dentists seem to require. I am in florida (the closest state) and the lowest price round trip I have seen is 276$ round trip. So two airfares at the lowest would be 550$. Safely figure two 5 day trips at a minimum of 150$ per day. Yup, your over 2k.

One of my questions is about travel arrangements. I don't want to spend so much on travel and lodging that it defeats the purpose traveling there. Can someone tell me which airline and lodging they used and how much it costs so I'll have some idea? Also, is insurance used? Not that it pays much, right?

Carter L, sounds as though you had almost the same done as me. I, and others, that read and follow this forum appreciate the comments. It is so important that folks realize that we are not being paid to promote the dentists that we have chosen to go to in Costa Rica, only that we are satisfied customers that want others that are faced with the high prices in the States to know that there are inexpensive and profession options available.
I continue to follow and reply to comments made here, and do so to let folks know that there are specialists all over the world, and in this case, far less expensive.
Happy smiles to all....

I too went to Costa Rica last October. Had a full mouth reconstruction 8 implants, 26 crowns with the anterior teeth done in zirconium. I was quoted 50k in the US. It cost me $11,252 with the discount for a wire transfer. I had the immediate load implants and was eating on them the same day. Dentists here will not use them although the outcomes in healthy patients are similar. It took me twenty days in all. I have not had a twinge of pain and my smile is perfect and it is a pleasure to chew with back teeth again. I used and recommend Drs Munoz-Cavallini and Munoz-Peralta (father and son). And no I am not a shill, just a happy camper.

Im in the process of making decision who to use in Costa Rica How many opyions did you choose from Did You have internet chats first or did you call for phone convesations to dicuss treatment Ive alsio looked into Bangkock but its along way but looks more formal hospital setting ypu seen very happy with this firm??