Half-way Through - Orange, CT

I wore braces when I was young, before retainers...

I wore braces when I was young, before retainers existed. As my wisdom teeth tried to come through and had no room, my teeth moved. I had all 4 removed, and wore a permanent metal retainer attached on my bottom teeth for several years. Still, my teeth never looked really good again. With time and age (I'm 60)they worsened. The bottom is very crowded and the top has a very crooked tooth. There is also an issue with my bite which will only get worse over time. So I decided it was now or never.

My experience has been positive thanks to a well experienced provider. Except for 1 set, I have never had pain. BUT I am always very aware that they are on. I have had to file rough areas of every set. My tongue has never gotten used to them. The top one sometimes irritates my inside lip When I take them out to eat I have multiple attachment points which jut out and cut my lower lip. All of these things should be expected. The smiling face of the model wearing the braces belies the real story. There will be discomfort. My teeth are sensitive and so I never expected to get used to them and forget them were there. Nothing like traditional brace pain, it's more like a constant dull pressure.

I'm half-way through and see a big difference on top and only a small change on the bottom. With the dentist's computer model I already know what the final results should look like. So far so good. It's not fun. They are a pain to take in and out to eat or drink hot tea. Like anything else worth doing, it takes commitment and patience.

Thanks for sharing such a balanced view of your experience with Invisalign so far.

You mentioned that except with the first set you haven't had any pain. Was the pain your experienced with the first set from the trays creating sores in your mouth, or was it more of a pain from your teeth starting to move?

Strangely, it was set number 5. When I mentioned it to the doc she did say that the set had a lot of movement involved. My front teeth, upper and lower hurt so much I took pain meds and still had to take them out several times over a period of several days. I was very apprehensive when it came time to put in set #6. Thank goodness I have not gone through that again!

Glad to hear you didn't experience anything like that again! I can see how if one set of trays was really uncomfortable the thought of moving onto a new set would be less than appealing!

I'll be looking forward to hearing how things continue to go for you!

Done and Beyond

I actually forgot that I wrote a review until my dentist asked me to finish what I started. The last half of my treatment was uneventful and I got fairly used to them but could not wait for the day they came off. Bottom teeth gradually straightened out and lined up great with my top. Only downside was that now that my bottom teeth were so straight and my gums had receded, I now have spaces between my teeth near the gum line and food particles are always getting stuck. I carry small brushes with me for quick dashes into restrooms when needed. Was it worth it, a definite yes! I wore the first set of retainers every night for a year. Now I wear them a few times a week and realize I will have to wear one indefinitely I I want to retain what I have. The retainers are costly so I plan to wear each one to the point of cracking and discoloration before throwing it out. When initially bought, the retainers come in a 4 pack- sent every 3 months for a year. I'm still using number 2. I buy whitening gel and use my old retainer as a mold every 6 months. So between the straightening and the whitening there is a noticeable difference in my smile and I am very pleased with the outcome.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

New Haven Cosmetic Dentist

I went to someone I had done some research on so I knew she was experienced. She is very pleasant, as is everyone in her office. Very professional but not off-putting. She explains things in detail and gladly answers any questions. I have never waited more than a few minutes for my appointment. She does required a deposit of 1/2 before starting treatment. i am paying the balance over a period of 4 months. Since I am only 1/2 way through I cannot comment on "after care" but her website suggests many happy clients.