26 Yo Mom, 3/4 Way Done - Columbus, OH

I always thought my teeth were fine growing up....

I always thought my teeth were fine growing up. But in the last several years, I decided that I wanted to make my teeth perfect. I had consultations with three orthodontists. I chose the orthodontist not with the lowest price but with the most thorough consult. we talked about my obvious gap in my lower teeth and he also asked me about having an open bite. I have never heard of an open bite in my life. he also asked me if I was a tongue thruster. Something else I had never heard of.  I have been a thumb sucker since about the age of 4. Though I'm luckier than most,  my teeth weren't nearly as bad as I've seen.

I decided to go with dr. Marshall. I chose Invisalign because it was actually a bit cheaper than braces and I was told that I would probably need them for less than a year. The office had the new scanning technology which only took about 20 30 minutes. I could see on the computer screen exactly what my teeth look like.

My trays came in two weeks later.I was ecstatic to find out that I only had 17 trays. I quickly calculated time of my treatment and it was about 34 weeks or a little over 8 months. I was given 15 attachments. 10 on top and 5 on bottom. That was fine by me as I just wanted the best result.  Not so concerned with visibility.

I'll spare you the details of my daily routine. I will say that I am not at all as persistent as I should be with my cleaning routine. I brush my teeth only in the mornings and at night. I soak my trays in a denture cup occasionally.I also use an electric nail file to smooth some sharp edges.the first few days I cut my tongue so many times I wondered what I got myself into.

I'm now on trade 12:17and my gap in all but completely closed. My open bite has been resolved. And I don't expect any revisions to be needed.

Please excuse any typos as I'm writing on my phone.  My review may be short but hopefully complete.

Thanks

Wow!  That is really a fantastic change, and yes, very mild for thumb-sucking!  I would be thrilled to get profile shots to see, if you'd be willing?
I don't have any profiles of before. My ortho does. I'll get them in September!!
Cool--exciting! :)

Last 4 trays!!!!

I picked up my last four trays today :) Trays 14-17. I brought up a concern I was having about a gap between teeth 2 and 3 (says the assistant). The gaps, on both sides, were never there before treatment, and I didn't think that 4 trays would be enough to close the gaps. The doc says as long as my trays are fitting perfectly not to worry about it, so I won't. He says we'll check on it after tray 17 to determine if refinements are needed. I also noticed that my last 3 trays say "overcorrection" and have a + next to the tray number. Did some googling on overcorrection, couldn't find much of anything. So let me know if you guys have any info ... attached pictures of the gap, and tray packaging. Soo excited.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

pics

Hi!  They can close a small gap like that in 4 trays, but it may not be programmed in, in which case they can take care of it in refinement.  Overcorrection is common, but to be honest, I don't really know what it means either!  We skipped my overcorrection trays and went straight to refinement.  No clue.  So I'm also interested to know if anyone else answers this!
Dr. Marshall