Lots of Pain and Even Some Bleeding - Columbus, OH

My procedure was done 5 days ago, so I really...

My procedure was done 5 days ago, so I really don't know what the final result will be. I'm making this post so that others will know what to expect.

I had two one-hour treatments on the same day. First the right side of my tummy was done and then the left side. There was quite a bit of discomfort when the fat is sucked into the machine, but that discomfort goes away after about 10 minutes. I was surpised that the fat sucking cups are very small -- probably about 4" by 2" and about 3" deep. That's why I had to endue the procedure twice. Only so much fat could be placed into the machine. Please understand that I am certainly not obese -- I am a size 6. My stomach just has a pooch. To get the entire stomach area, the procedure had to be performed on each side of my belly button. When each hour ended, my skin felt frozen -- almost like hamburger meat, but that went away quickly.

When I got home I noticed that bruising had already begun. The skin on my left side had been punctured so I had some bleeding. It is now 5 days later, and I'm in a lot of pain. The area is basiclly numb to the touch except for a shooting pain that begins in the same area where my bleeding occurred.

I really feel ashamed of myself for spending $1,500 for this procedure. If I achieve the average result, then 20% of the fat that was sucked into those cups will disappear. I don't think that will be significant enough to even notice, but I hope that I'm wrong.

Before you invest in this procedure, please ask your doctor to see the machine. I think that you'll be amazed at the very small area that will be treated.

The doctor was very nice, and I don't think that it is her fault that I made a bad decision. I only wish that I had asked to see the machine before my procedure.

Can anyone suggest a good surgeon for this procedure?
I too am considering this procedure in Columbus, Ohio. I would love to know who the doctor was who performed yours.
hi, I had the procedure done 8 days ago, since then I have had shooting pains in my abdomin area as well, also I have been peeing out some (gross - sorry) blood too. now I am concerned. has anyone else had this happen?

Did you get better ? I am thinking of having this done ....how are your results ?

me again- Day 9 - still in agony. I'm hoping this torture stops - I can't believe I did this to myself. Ladies, be happy with yourself even if you have a little muffin top or love handles. Don't do this to yourself willingly.
Hi, I am 7 days in to it and have the same torture. Same area. Shooting pains day and night and NO relief from drugs either. I dread going to bed. I did this because I thought it was non-invasive with no down time. Boy was I wrong. This is not worth it. Please tell me exactly how long before you the pain stopped?

I had Zeltiq 7 days ago- large applicator to my lower abdomen- I'm small and thin with a stubborn pooch below my belly button. (5'7" and 130 lbs) I've been in agony day and night since. I have stabbing, shooting, burning pains day and night. My abdomen is swollen to double the size- I've been unable to sleep, and barely able to function through this pain. I've had previous C-sections and the pain that I've experienced with Zeltiq is worse by far than anything I experienced after childbirth. The pain seems to be getting worse daily. I'm unable to wear anything with a waist band because having anything touch my abdomen is excruciating. I'm hoping for a good result after all this pain. Even if I get a mind blowing result I would never do this again to myself.

Can you tell me how long the pain lasted. I had it done 5 days ago, and Im in HORRIBLE pain! It seems to get worse everyday. At first my stomach was just numb and tingly. Now I have very sharp shooting pains, and constant throbbing. I called the doc. that did it and he told me it happens sometimes, and to call if it goes on for 2 to 3 weeks. Omg when he told me that I sobbed. Ive been up 2 nights in a row taking Tylenol or Motrin every 4 hours! I missed work yesterday.... I cannot handle 2 weeks of this. I Zeltiq done bc of the "no down time"..... Im supposed to be going on vacation next week. Im thinking of going to my regular doc. tom. it cant be normal to not be able to sit up!
Hi Stefany,

Sorry to hear about your pain after Zeltiq, it does rarely occur. Patients have found that Lidocaine gel or Lidocaine patches may help relieve your pain. Ask you doctor about it. Hopefully you are feeling better by now and will be able to enjoy your vacation. Best,
Dr. Persky
Please tell me when the pain stopped. I am having the same reaction, now 7 days post procedure. I cannot sleep for the pain and drugs are not working. This is really terrible because I thought I was in for no down time and I didn't schedule any. I just moved homes on top of this and had no idea my reaction would be so severe. How long did it take for the pain to go away? Please give me some good news...
In all honesty, I don't know why I bled. I just know that I bled and suffered bruising and pain. It sure sounds like you're someone trying to sell this product! The bottom line is that it DID NOT WORK FOR ME! It caused me PAIN! I advise any consumer to think twice before having this procedure done!
Part of the Zeltiq treatment involves suction which can cause a bruise. You have a puncture from the doctor pinching you? Puncture means a gouge or big cut in the skin. The Zeltiq device did not cause that! You are making people believe that the device caused you to bleed. These forums are devised to give people feedback on procedures. I think you should rewrite what you wrote. The device was created by Rox Anderson who works with Mass General Hospital and Harvard. It is FDA approved and is someones hard work and years of research. The doctor that invented this device is the one that created Lazer hair removal, fractionated CO2 and vein clearance. To write that you were punctured and bled is ridiculous and false. How can you take someones hard work and clinical data and slam it on the internet. I think that you should rewrite your statement with honest statements. The machine did not cause you to be punctures and bleed. Maybe the doctor pinched you but this has nothing to do with the device.
Thanks for clearing that up about puncture. I saw this device on "The Doctor" and on the News and I think this is for people who are physically active and already toned but has that one area that they can't get rid of.

Thnx Again!
Teresa
She means bruising, not bleeding. It's non invasive. That is a ridiculous comment. Zeltiq is famous because it is impossible to bleed fromusing the device. It's like a giant hickey .....if that helps.
No, I mean bleeding. What I believe happened is that the doctor pinched an area of skin when setting up the procedure. Obviously, this was not intentional, but the pinching probably created some sort of puncture. As a result, I had very bad bruising and some bleeding.
I have lost no inches. My doctor has not called for a follow-up appointment, although she told me that her office would contact me "around Thanksgiving." No explanation was ever given for the puncture. The bleeding stopped after a day or two. I am now fully healed, but I will never recommend this procedure. It was painful and a complete waste of money. To cgb 1021 -- spend your money on a vacation!

Oh no. :( I'm really sorry to hear that. Do you mind if I ask what's next for you (if anything)? Will you get back in touch with your doctor?

Thank you for your response as I was going to make an appointment with a local Doctor for this procedure, but having read so many negative (and truthful sounding) comments, I've changed my mind.
There's no next step except to stick to diet and exercise. My doctor told me that she would call me to schedule a follow-up appointment "sometime around Thanksgiving." I'm still waiting on that call. The only call I received from her was when she discovered that someone in the Columbus, Ohio, area was posting negative comments about Zeltiq. I had the impression that she was calling all of her clients to find out who made the posts because she is the only doctor in our area who performs this procedure. I told her that I had made posts and she asked me to post a follow-up that I had fully recovered. I never heard from her again. I have no interest in returning to that doctor, so I didn't call to schedule the follow-up. My original opinion of the doctor was that she was very nice, but after her phone call asking me to revise my posts, I have changed my opinion.
I'm concerned that you were punctured somehow by the machine and had bleeding. Did the bleeding stop and do you have scaring from the procedure? Also, did your Doctor tell you why you were punctured? Thanks.
I meant, did the bleeding stop quickly or was it bad at the time of the procedure. Thanks.
I'm not quite sure what caused the bleeding. All I know is that I bled as a result of the procedure. I've only spoken to the doctor once since this procedure, and this conversation took place over the phone. (She called me because she had seen negative posts about the procedure and wanted to know if I made the posts. I am guessing that she called all of her patients until she found the right person.) She offered no explanation for the bleeding. She was far more concerned about my negative post.
I've been wanting to do this procedure on my love handles for awhile now. Just hesitant because if I spend the money on this instead of the vacation I wanted, I want it to really work!
I am 5'6" 150lbs. for the most part i'm evenly porportioned, except for my muffin top.
i bruise easy and have sensitive skin, does anyone know if that will affect me at all? I just really want results in the end though thats all that matters!!!

any advice will help me with me decision on this.
HELP!
@ cbg 1021-
I am pleased like I said. As far as bruising...you may bruise. When I had my procedure done they said I may get a "hickey like" bruise, but I didn't. I would have a consultation and talk with your provider and see if if this is somethimg you really want to do. I am so very glad I had this done! Hope this helps :)
Hi Castles, I had this procedure done in Houston Texas. I am also small, around a size 1 or 2. My problem was the post baby pooch as well. I had the procedure done around the end of June, and I am down almost 2 inches. I experienced no bruising and definately no bleeding. I dont understand how you got a puncture wound from a soft silicone handpiece?? I am very pleased with my results. As far as the small areas being treated, I know this is not meant for obese people, it is meant for spot treating. Like I said I am very pleased going from a size 26 jeans to a 24!! My provider was Dr. McClendon and his amazing staff in Houston Texas.