Regretting a Large Tattoo - Cleveland, OH

I rarely do anything impulsive, but when I do, of...

I rarely do anything impulsive, but when I do, of course it has to be something permanent. I feel like an idiot. I got a very brightly colored quarter sleeve tattoo. It's not even finished yet and I'm regretting it. I've cried almost every day since I got it. So, I have 3 consultations scheduled for laser tattoo removal. One is very close to me, the other is the hospital system I work for which would probably give me a discount, and the soonest appointment is 3 hours away, but it's the closest office with the Picosure laser. I've done a lot of research, and it seems that the Picosure is my best chance of removing my purple, green, and light blue colors. Why couldn't I have just gone with a plain black design? Oh, well. It's done now and I can't take it back, so I have to move forward!

Treatment number one!

I had my first treatment with the Picosure today. I expected it to be awful since it's a almost a half sleeve, but it was tolerable even without any numbing cream. She was pretty optimistic about the removal. My light blue and green parts have already faded significantly after one treatment. There's already some fading in the black, too. She may have to use a different laser for the red and purple, but she thinks she can get rid of those colors, too. I'm feeling really good about it! Definitely confident that I'm doing the right thing.

Day after

I'm unwrapped now, and so far I'm pleased. No bruising, swelling, or blistering at all. There is very significant lightening of my teal and green, decent lightening of the dark purple, and surprisingly, my red lightened up a little, too. Wasn't expecting the Picosure to touch the red. It hasn't done anything to the pink, but my technician said she may have to play around with a few different lasers to get the different colors out. Feeling optimistic!

Second day

Now I have tiny blisters in the green and blue. I'm slightly swollen, too, but still not very painful. I would say it's similar to a very mild sunburn.

Finally getting some pictures up

Here's the progress so far. I'm keeping the purple flower on my shoulder, and may end up keeping the pink and purple daisies at the top, too. I hate the red one, and the bottom purple one is beautiful, but just too big and I don't think it goes with the top flowers.

Second treatment done!

I had my second treatment last week. She was impressed with how well I healed, so she really turned up the laser this time. It definitely hurt worse, even with numbing cream. I still barely blistered. Just like last time, it was slightly sore for a couple days after, and then back to normal.
I'm getting used to having all this ink, now. I've decided to keep the top three flowers, and just get rid of the red one and the giant purple one. I will still need to have it finished, which will have to wait until after the laser treatments. I'm very impatient, so it's hard to wait!

5 treatments done!

OK, I've been slacking. I had my 5th treatment on Tuesday, and boy was it rough. She introduced the Medlite on treatment number 4 for the red and dark purple. She's been hitting the purple with both lasers, and the Medlite really takes out the red. I had some decent blistering this time, so I hope it fades even more! I haven't had a lot of blistering until now, but I have seen fading every time. We're going 8 weeks between treatments now, because I see more fading in between that way. I'm excited to get my remaining 3 flowers finished, so I'm going to set up an appointment with a couple tattoo artists to get some ideas flowing. So excited to see it finished! I know I still have several treatments to go. It's hard to be patient, but it will be worth it.
Skin and Vein Center

Jen does my treatments at the Sterling Heights, MI office. The staff is very pleasant and accommodating. Jen called me before my appointment to answer all of my questions and give me an idea of how much it would cost. They also scheduled me for my consultation and first treatment on the same day since I live far away. They also have several different lasers, as well as the Picosure, so they can customize your treatment. I definitely recommend them!

Amazing prgress! If you don't mind me asking.. how old was your tattoo?
Only a couple months
Any recent updates or are we still only at 5 treatments. I'm thinking to get mine removed
I'm still at 5 treatments. Next one is in March. I'll post a pic just before that treatment after it fades more.
Ok cool beans thanks
How many of your 5 treatments have been just picosure and how many have been medlite/picosure combination?
First 3 with just Picosure, 4th and 5th with both lasers.
Really good fading :) are you going for full removal or lighten to cover?
I would like full removal, but I'll see how it goes. I'm keeping the top three flowers, so I will have to get that part finished when the rest is removed. My laser technician is optimistic for full removal. I've only had 5 treatments, so I need to be patient!
Oh that's cool -I was actually wondering about the top flowers. I actually think the whole tattoo is nice. Hope everything works out for you, and if yo have to get a cover up that is cool to. I know for me, I will have to - so I am planning it out...not sure when I will start, I may have another treatment - such a long process :)
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Hey there, just checking in to see how your removal is going.
Going well! Just put some new pictures up. Thanks!
Hi pixie did picosure have effect on your bottom flower ?
The dark purple and green have faded significantly in just 3 treatments
hi pixie. got any pictures of the fading? thanks for your review though. helping a lot!!!
Thanks for the updates.
Do you have pics of the tattoo after the 2nd treatment
What clinic are you having your treatments done at?
Hmm, I did the same thing recently, started a big tribal style design covering half of my arm and I hate it before it's finished - now I'm finding myself looking over reviews such as this. Such a horrible mistake to make. Do you know by any chance if Picosure would be effective on someone with tanned skin? I'm half philippino and half british. It's all black but i'm so worried that even if I do manage to get the money together I may have a massive pale discolourations over my arm..
Black is the easiest to remove from what I've read. People with pale skin have better results, but there is a laser specifically for people with darker skin. You should schedule a consultation with someone who has multiple lasers so they can choose the one that's best for you.
The laser is actually not even FDA approved for people with African American skin or recommended to people with very tan skin. The laser causes hypo pigmentation on dark skin. A consultation would probably be best for you!
Are you aware that PicoSure is now in Cleveland, Ohio in the Rockside & I-77 area? I set up an appointment in 2 weeks for a free consultation. Their website is *************.com if you are interested.
Thanks, Tom! I heard about it. I think they just opened up a couple weeks ago. I paid a flat fee up front for unlimited treatments until my tattoo is gone, so I'm stuck going to Michigan for as long as it takes. I don't mind. It's only every 6 weeks, and I really like the place. I've already had amazing results from 1 treatment, so I'm hopeful that it won't take as long as I originally thought it would.
I wish you the best of luck through this process! I too have regrets about a half sleeve that is done in color along with other tattoos that are quite large. Are you paying $3,000 per treatment?