Deviated Septum and Rhinoplasty - Cleveland, OH

I have always had problems breathing through my...

I have always had problems breathing through my nose and just learned to live with it. When I became a grandma and realized I wanted to have a LONG and healthy life I decided to talk to an ENT and plastic surgeon.Had to wait about a month to get everything scheduled..(very nerve-racking). I am7 days post op ..getting internal splints removed tomorrow. I was FINALLY able to breathe through my nose for the first time today!! Wonderful sensation!! I am only sorry that I let my fear of what might occur get in the way of doing this much sooner in my life.
I had a 7:30 surgery scheduled..1st to fix the deviated septum and then the rhinoplasty. When I woke up I felt pretty good. ( My only pain was a headache that lasted about 17 hours) A friend told me it was probably from the anesthesia so I just rode it out. Stayed at my daughters for a couple of days to recuperate.When my nose was packed (for 3 days) I had no appetite and no sense of smell. Since I was mouth breathing it was very helpful to have bottles of water, lip balm, a nice lounge chair to sleep sitting up and my mini Ipad. I ate really healthy..lots of fruit and cottage cheese.
After the packing was removed ( very weird feeling!) I started to use saline to keep things all lubricated. Still couldn't breathe through nose but I felt much more comfortable once it was removed. Mouth breathing really took a toll on me energy wise...and when I got home I didn't have quite the energy I wanted. Four days later ( Labor Day) it seems like the saline finally worked and I was able to actually breathe through my nose for the first time since I can remember! I was so taken by the process that it brought tears to my eyes. I was astounded that I was actually breathing as I thought most people do..
I hardly had any bruising, and most discomfort was the mouth breathing and the feeling of pressure from the nosr packing...Why did I wait so long to have this done!!

splints out!!

So today I finally had my internal splints removed ( by the ENT doc)...wonderful to really be able to breathe through my nose. The weird part is having to "retrain" myself to breathe through my nose. What a wonderful thing to have to relearn.
So after the doc removed the first splint I asked him if I could see it. He said are you sure....SO...what a surprise...I had NO idea that something that large could have been in my nose! Plus I told him that I thought is would be a v shaped plasticy thing that was keeping my nose inn shape. Little did I know that it was about 2 to /2 1/2 in long shaped like a giant flat kidney bean!!
I am just so astounded that I can breathe and I keep asking myself..."why did I wait so long to have this done!". My lesson learned is that if you have a symptom ( like not being able to breath...
I have a follow up after care visit with the plastic surgeon next week. I am very happy with my results already even though things are still a bit sore inside and swollen both inside and out. Saline has been a life saver on that end.
Drs. Jeffrey and Michael Binder

Both doctors were great in their own way. I thought of them as one being the framer and one the finish carpenter. The staff at all facilities that I visited were wonderful. The most difficult part was making sure that I had the right appointments with the right doc at the correct facility( mainly because they both use the similar surgery center and they have the same last name.

Makes sense. Are you going to share photos? you can blur your eyes for privacy.
It was no coincidence that they have the same last name...they are brothers. One is an ENT and the other is a plastic surgeon. Then one works mainly westside of Cleveland and the other is a eastsider. They made a great team getting my nose back in working order and looking wonderful. I am very happy with them, all of their staff and the out patient surgery center where I had the procedure done.
Congratulations. Wow 3 days u had to breath through ur nose. That must have been tough. Glad everything went well 4 u. Interesting that both drs have same last name! What a coincidence.

Hooray for being able to breathe through your nose! Thank you for sharing on RealSelf. We'd love to see your before and after photos.