over a year later

I have hated my nose and have been so insecure...

I have hated my nose and have been so insecure about it since I was in 5th grade. I have always felt self-conscious about turning to the side because I hated my profile view especially. Even when I drive I get insecure about it! So I've been thinking about having a rhinoplasty since I was 16 years old and I'm 24 now. I finally graduated college and have a job so I decided in July 2011 to schedule a procedure for November 29, 2011.

The day of surgery I was terrified! My parents have supported me so much and made me feel relaxed the whole ride there. If it wasn't for them I might have had a panic attack. I had so many fears and worries going through my mind but I am so glad I got it over with because if I didn't do this I would have always wanted it and wondered how it would have been.

Right now I am 4-days post op and I got to be honest it has been difficult. It's not the worst pain but it is SO uncomfortable!! And I unfortunately bruised really bad so I have two terrible black eyes and my cheeks and basically my whole face swelled up so I kinda look like a little chipmunk. I had really bad nausea the 2nd day at night and was very sick. I threw up 3 times and was afraid I disrupted my stitches in my nose but the nurse told me I was fine. Some people seem like their experience is a lot easier than mine but I am making it through day by day. The whole process of healing is gradual so I am trying to be patient. My dad told me I am starting to look more and more like me because the swelling is settling down so I am happy! I feel back to my old self today, just still bruised, congested and slightly swollen in the cheeks. I get my cast off on Tuesday and I am thrilled BUT I don't want to get too excited because I know my nose will still be extremely swollen and it will be a few weeks before I see some real progress.

Before I got this surgery, friends and some family told me I was crazy and made me feel like a bad person for doing this. All I have to say is you have to make your own decisions in the end. You will never be 100% sure if you are right or wrong before surgery because it's a nerve-racking experience and you are freaked out about a million things. Just do your research and really look into different surgeons before you make a decision. I only met with one surgeon but did a lot of online research before I picked him. He specialized in rhinoplasty and was a facial plastic surgeon. I haven't seen the results yet and I hope and pray they are great but I have faith in this doctor so I'm staying optimistic while I wait. Also, talk to people who have gone through this and get an idea of what to expect.Updated on 6 Dec 2011:OK today was cast removal!!! I prepared myself for the worst because I understand how common it is for most people to not be satisfied upon seeing their nose for the first time because of swelling. My nose is very swollen which is expected. I am not in love yet BUT I see the overall shape and am very satisfied with that. I am eager to see the changes my nose will undergo in the coming weeks/months. So far, I have no regrets. For the first time in my life, I like my profile, even with all the swelling.Updated on 6 Dec 2011:List Pros & Cons, Advice you can offer othersUpdated on 13 Dec 2011:It's been two weeks and the swelling has gone down sooo much!! I love my nose and this has been one of the best decisions I have ever made.I have had sooo many compliments and support which has made this whole experience even more awesome. Can't wait to see the changes that will continue to take place :) SO HAPPY!Updated on 22 Dec 2011:Today marks 3 weeks post surgery! It's getting better each week BUT I can tell it is still very swollen. Since my surgery was open, healing time will be prolonged so I am going to continue to patient. But I am healing and each day that goes by I am getting closer to the final result :)

I live in chicago as well, where did you go ?
Btw you look absolutely gorgeous on before pictures, don't think you needed a nose job but looks just as good after. Just saying.
Thank you so much that's very nice of you!It was always something that made me insecure :/ But anyways, I went to Dr. anil Shah his office is located in water tower place. I highly recommend this doctor!!! He is very articulate, professional and only does 1 surgery a day to focus on your case. I'm so thankful I found him!You won't be disappointed.

I just had my 1 month check-up and everything is...

I just had my 1 month check-up and everything is still going well. My doctor said I have a decent amount of swelling and my nose will start to finesse around 6 months-5 more to go!! He said I can expect to still see some significant changes. I've been in love with my nose since the day the cast came off even with all of the swelling!! I am so happy and excited and my confidence has increased so much. For the people who know me, they can tell a huge difference. But they say it doesn't look like I had surgery because the nose looks so natural. For those who don't see me often, they can tell something is different but don't know what it is. I just say I changed my hair:) haha!! I can still feel the numbness too, especially on the tip and even around the sides of my nose it is tender. But each day it gets a little bit better!
Your profile is soooo beautiful, exactly what i'm hoping for :)
I just want to say that after reading your experience, I'm so much more at ease at finalizing my decision to have surgery myself. I've been thinking about it for so long but I wasn't sure which surgeon to go with? You look absolutely amazing! I'm making an appointment with Dr.Shah tomorrow morning!
Looking beautiful ;)

I have wanted to have my nose done since I was in...

I have wanted to have my nose done since I was in 5th grade. I did a lot of research and luckily found Dr. Shah. I couldn't be happier with the results! I am so thrilled :)
I am loving loving it! I did the same thing you did. I had a haircut like two weeks after surgery, and they all said I looked different! I didnt say I had a nose job, just a hair cut.
Hi Bella! Like so many other people on this site, your review helped me SO much over the past few months as I made my rhinoplasty decision and moreover now, as I'm in the is-the-swelling-ever-going-to-end recovery period post-op (with your same doctor!) I'm only at 9 days, but based on your beautiful results, I have lots to look forward to. Thank you so much for helping so many strangers!
That is so kind of you to say that! I am so thrilled that people are finding my review helpful :) I know the uncertainty and anxiety a person can experience before and right after a rhinoplasty. Well I know you picked an amazing surgeon so I'm sure your results will be fabulous! At about 4 weeks, enough of the swelling went down that I was happy but even when the cast first came off there was a huge difference and I loved it even though there was a lot of swelling. Time will go by and you will just continue to see vast improvement. If you have any other questions feel free to talk to me I am so happy to help :) Thanks again!

OK it's been 12 weeks and everything is...

OK it's been 12 weeks and everything is turning out wonderfully! I am so happy! I am waiting for 6 months because my doctor said that is his favorite time to see how the nose has developed. He said it will look more refined and detailed. But I am happy already so I guess it can only get better from here :)

Hi Bella,
I have been wanting to get a rhinoplasty for the past 5 years now. I met with Dr. Shah about 2 years ago and thought he would be a great doctor. I didnt end up getting it done because my family was kind of against it and I was only 18 at the time so I was kind of scared to do it. My sister just got hers done this summer tho, so I think my parents are more comfortable now and Im definitley ready to do this! I just have a question for you. I was curious how did you know what the front of your nose was going to look like because Dr. Shahs computer editing only really gives you a good image of the side profile? And by the way, you nose looks great and very natural :-)
Hi there, just wanted to say (first post) that you had one of the best rhinoplasties I've seen on here! You were beautiful from the start. Love your hair curly:)
Absolutely beautiful results!

Over a year after my surgery, I couldn't be more...

Over a year after my surgery, I couldn't be more satisfied! I absolutely LOVE my new nose and I am just happy I went through with it as soon as I did. I wish I had done it years ago. I couldn't have picked a better surgeon. Dr Shah is AMAZING. So reassuring and professional; the work he did is fantastic and I have gotten the sweetest compliments from people that has made me feel incredible. If anyone would like to ask questions, please feel free! Sorry it has been a while since my last update, I have had a lot going on recently! I am a huge advocate of being comfortable in your skin because it truly is a horrible feeling to be self conscience. If you choose to get a nose job, do NOT feel like you are weak for making this decision.
Your nose looks really great!
Gorgeous!
i love your nose. it is very elegant. it really becomes you!
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best facial plastic surgeon in Chicago!!!! Highly recommended!