Some Improvement but Still Looks BIG to Me - Chicago, IL

I had one rhinoplasty to fix a collapsed nostril...

I had one rhinoplasty to fix a collapsed nostril and reduce a hump on my bridge which was covered by insurance. Ear cartilage was used and things didn't turn out well. I sought a second one--a complete reconstruction (no insurance) where rib was used.

It looks better in some respects but I still think it looks huge and extra stuff was done that I didn't want done. My doc will do some additional surgery, but I have a much higher bridge, huge tip and the reconstructed side still looks strange.

I could use some advice and input. I'm including photos of my nose before surgery with the collapse, one after the first surgery and two after the second surgery--one is a candid and one is a retouched one from the surgeon.

did you spent $ 23000 ?
Yes, the doctor's cost was $14,500 but anesthesia (it was a seven hour surgery) was over $5000 and then there was the cost of the OR for seven hours a hospital room overnight and a few other costs.
who did your surgery?
Dr. Dayan in Chicago. He did improve it but added many grafts and did a full reconstruction, which I was unaware was his plan. I hope this doesn't cause me to have any backlash.
Hello. I just wondered if you could give an update?
Dr T?
No, not Dr. T.
i left u a long message that was supposed to be somewhat helpful awhile ago...did u read it???
Did you say the collapse of your nose was due to the rhinoplasty you had first? I hope everything turns out well for you.
Regarding the photos, my surgeon said HIS photo looks better because theirs is a professional camera which takes a "flat" photo and professional lighting, while personal cameras (I am an amateur photographer so I have a pretty good camera myself--and know that what he says is untrue) give a "fish eye" effect...SO apparently I'll not ever be able to take a proper candid photo???!! I had a follow-up with him last week and he was very abrupt and rude. At least in the past, he was really kind. You pay Gold Coast prices, you expect Gold Coast treatment--especially for a surgery so closely tied to self-esteem. I added another photo up at the top--the digital image he created which he said he could deliver. You can see there are minor, but important changes. For some reason he decided that instead of taking care of that and giving me the aesthetic I expected, he would take out my septum and use it to lengthen my nose (didn't want), used additional rib to create a bridge piece (even a radix graft that sticks out as a bump on my bridge) I don't want and don't like and never brought the wide tip in by leaving the original grafts in that make the tip look wide. He is unwilling to do another full surgery and wants to add even ANOTHER graft. I feel like a guinea pig and really just want my money back--it should have gone through insurance but I was so pleased with the digital image, I signed up to pay for cosmetic surgery. If I had known his surgery was going to take so long, anesthesia would price out to over $5000 and OR costs would skyrocket, I'd have thought twice. I hate the bridge graft so much but he is so proud of it and says "It took me over an hour to shape that piece". To me at the close up, it just looks funny and pulls my nose out farther so you don't notice my eyes as much, plus it looks crooked.
He wanted to add another graft?! I am sorry about all this. it's clear that he will not be able to give you a result that will be acceptable to you and I believe he knows this - no way would his average patient would be satisfied with an over grafted nose, so why should you be. If it took him an hour to shape the graft then it was time wasted!! Perhaps he's adding grafts because he is less comfortable with reshaping the nose itself, that's my thought.

I hear you about the bridge graft - I had one too and I also think it makes my eyes look too close together. Apparently it's supposed to blend in the brow ridge and look "feminine" but giving someone a higher radix makes it looks masculine. And I can't get used to it!

I think you've been really overcharged for the surgery and there must be some fine rhinoplasty surgeons out there who don't charge so much.
Hey there! First let me start by saying thank you for sharing your story with us. I am very sorry you have had to endure multiple surgeries and such an incredible financial commitment. You state that the 3rd and 4th photo ( the one taken at your doctors office) were taken around the same time, but I must agree with you in that the one the doctor took looks drastically different. Is he stating that's the projected final result or claiming that's where you are now? I would suggest moving or reposting your story with photos to the doctors q&a section of real self. They will be able to give you better plan advice, recommended treatment and possibly assistance with getting/demanding the result you anticipated. You are very pretty but should get what you paid for. Good luck to you and I will be sure to follow your threads and check up on you. Take care!
i also want to add that the UK Rhinoplasty Forum is great as well. If you post your experience they'll have some suggestions for you
I have no idea. I have to wait another month until a year anniversary hits. This surgeon is close by for surgery and follow-up and I've learned that reviews and reputation are not good ways to find a surgeon. With all that he did, finding another surgeon to do more work on it would be hard and just tiring. I have little choice but to stay with my current surgeon, but I feel taken advantage of from a business standpoint (even the surgical report says "reconstruction of nasal septum" but the business person claims it was only cosmetic and will not give my insurance company any codes other than "cosmetic" which isn't covered) and a standpoint where I didn't demand a written surgical strategy ahead of time, only promises that minimum would be done to make my nose look like the computer imaging. The staff has been great about some things but bad on other follow-up areas (for additional medical care on the nose and another area, they have been hands-off--even several weeks after when I had some broken cartilage graft come out from stitches that came out--I am always advised to drive downtown only to be assessed as to whether or not I need to be seen by my GP doctor. No antibiotics were given for sinus infection 1 week after surgery; I didn't even see the surgeon when I came in for the broken cartilage). I don't know where my trust lies, but I have few other options, especially when it comes to aftercare, it's so important to have a doctor close by. I could use any advice, ideas, empathy, sympathy--anything. This has literally ruined my life to the point where I have isolated myself and recently been put on medications and heavy counseling because my surgeon seems to just not hear what I have to say and dismiss me. I feel misguided. I think he's a good guy, but planned for a massive surgery which would correct my nose completely and make me happy--but I wanted a smaller, thinner tip to begin with and he failed to give me that, failed to correct the deformity and gave me a hard nose out of rib (he says my nose isn't hard because he used rib CARTILAGE, but we all know rib makes it hard and stiff. I have been unable to stop a bloody nose because I cannot pinch my nose shut anymore as it's rock hard. I need some truths, some affirmations and some advice and would appreciate anything any of you could offer. Just your postings are so very helpful to me.
I am so sorry. I think you're really pretty. I can see the pre-op issues but to make the nose 3 times the size to correct a collapsed nostril!? You need to think of your own future health and happiness. 23,000 is a lot of money and could've gotten you 2 rhinoplasties elsewhere. I think you should perhaps ask kindly for a referral to a colleague - nasal reconstruction is really a difficult surgery but the objective should be to get a good aesthetic result too. Maybe your surgeon was trying to overreach the goal. I really think that a good result would have been possible with a much more conservative approach to rib grafting.

What he may have been trying to do was "blend" in your pinched nostril/bridge with the rest of the nose with cartilage, and just used way too much cartilage. I have had this cartilage grafting myself for a pinched nose and unfortunately it made my nose look too wide - I and I will now need other ops to refine it. I don't blame my surgeon (I know that revisions/reconstructions are difficult) - it's just one of those things. However, if I was to go in for a 2nd revision with him, I would expect a significant improvement that time round. Maybe the first time might not get there... but after 2, I would expect something better for sure! It is actually harder to add than to subtract successfully.

Prodigiousflames is right... makemeheal and look your best are great sites for rhinoplasty, I am so sure you'll be able to chat there and there'll be others in similar positions.
you are not alone.I too have isolated myself for the past year.i also looked better in my before photos for rhinoplasty as well as other procedures.Today i could not muster up the courage to leave my house,i try to tell myself this is only temporary ,you must imagine what you want,i am crying now as i write this ,i was given some cd"s of a motivational speaker named :Ester Hicks , or Abraham Hicks is her stage name,she talks about the art of allowing, the law of attraction,i found therapy and depression medication made me feel worse as well as costly,and these cd's helped incredibly ,even though my kids roll their eyes and say," oh no not those cd's again!" .The one question that will stop the tears is ,ask yourself ,how would you like it to be? ok i am actually crying again now .i am imaging giving you a hug ,just know you are not alone ,it is ok to cry,it is ok to be sad,every day cannot be bright and shiny.Their is a kind of exercise that i do that feels so stupid yet it also makes me feel better..are you ready..ok make sure you are alone first..then look yourself in the eyes in the mirror and say your name...and then say ,"I love you" i know..it is difficult... this is only a temporary state you are in ..tell yourself that..i know what it is like to have people glance away as you walk down the street..i know i rambled here,i know how you feel..good things are their ...their are skilled doctors here in chicago..try to go to a consultation if you feel up to it...you do have other choices..have you ever considered Dr.Anil Shah...just an idea..like i said know that you are not alone..
I am so sorry that you have had to go through that. I too had to deal with a surgeon who did a totally incomplete nose job on me making me look worse then before and then having no sympathy at my emotions on how it really looked and acting like it looked great. For 23,000 you should have a perfect nose, seriously. YOur nose is not that bad but i can see where it could be improved. What do you think your going to do next?
The collapse came in conjunction with a multiple-year (yes, year) set of facial lesions which, when they finally gave me massive antibiotics, went away but the lesions (and a large nodule) had been in my nose too. Several of the lesions in the nose seemed to be full thickness. Anyway, it collapsed and I made the mistake of asking the first surgeon to also remove my dorsal hump. I was happy with the bridge after he did it, but the second surgeon (who is on Real Self) redid the whole nose with rib and added to the bridge which looks odd now. The surgeon's photo does look not so bad, but you can see how the candid photo taken at the same time looks--surgeons really do a lot of shadow and correction on their photos. All my current candid photos look like the third photo. It's way too wide--I never expected or agreed for the second surgeon to do all the rib and bridge work that he did. It cost me $23,000 out of pocket--yes, it should have gone through insurance. So I am way more upset because this cost us the amount of a small sedan out of our savings and I have a nose the size of a small sedan on my face. The surgeon, assuming because he doesn't want to do more surgery, proclaims it looks fantastic. I'm despondent (it wasn't Toriumi either) and feel as though I deserve at least a much smaller nose.
How did it collapse in the first place? I have to say the 4th photo is very beautiful. You can tell its a little off but its still a major improvement. Hope all works out for you/
I would not say it's an improvement on what she had before, the nostril is more repaired but at what aesthetic price? Why the unnecessary grafting all over the place? I would say that maybe the surgeon isn't used to grafting or tried to achieve too much in one surgery.

Lr2girl I hope you found your way to the rhino forum! I am 100% sure you'll put this behind you within the next year.

Hi there! Did your nostril collapse on its own initially? Or was that the result of an accident or surgery?

You're a lovely, lovely lady, but your nose does look off still. Were both surgeries done by the same surgeon and was he or she board certified by ASPS or ASAPS? I'm not sure when you had this done, but it could still be somewhat swollen.

I'm going to suggest that you post your photos and a question to doctors in RealSelf's Q&A community. I think you'll be able to get some good feedback there.

Thank you so much for sharing your story and photos with us.

You might also want to check out the Revision Rhinoplasty community.

I'm really sorry you're going through this. Everyone deserves to have a nose that fits her face.