I Gave Myself a 65th Birthday Present. A Facelift and Upper Bleph. It Feels Soooooo Good - Chicago, IL

I had a facelift when I was 50 with a lower bleph,...

I had a facelift when I was 50 with a lower bleph, a forehead lift, and chin implant. At 65 I was seeing changes in my face that really bothered me. It came on rather suddenly. One day, out of the blue, I said I am going to do something about that. It was right around my 65th birthday. I thought, perfect timing.

I saw my doctor and he explained what he would do to address the jowl and neck area. Also my upper eyelids were very hooded. I scheduled the surgery right away.

I went into the surgery center and was greeted by the most wonderful surgery staff. They were so upbeat, and extremely comforting. My doctor came in and marked my face and I walked into the operating room. I was put under general anesthesia and before I knew it I woke up in recovery. I went back to my hotel with drains and bandages all around me head. The next day I went back and everything was removed. I looked absolutely hideous. Luckily, since I had been through this before, I was not freaking out. I went back a few days later to have my stitches removed.

My doctor gave me his home phone number to call if there were any problems. I was extremely impressed by that. He is a compassionate and caring person.

The recovery process for me was very easy. I did not ice because I am too lazy. I just relaxed and by day 10 I got all my energy back and resumed my life. I used a cover up for the bruising under my eyes. I realize that some facelift procedures require more recovery. I had a MACS vertical facelift. Right now I am 4 weeks out from the surgery. All of the bruising is gone and so is the swelling. There is stills some numbness on the sides of my face.

I know the final results of my surgery will not be revealed until around 9 months to a year. But, so far, so good.

I just wanted to clarify than "most" of the...

I just wanted to clarify than "most" of the swelling is gone, but there is still some swelling left to resolve. One eyelid is still a little swollen and the outer areas of my jaw is too. I will try to post follow up photos.

Chicago Plastic Surgeon

please tell us the cost, or we may get all excited, thinking we can afford it and then we can't. TELL THE PRICE
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

That is funny it is my right side also... The doctor said the ear is the last thing to come back.... I guess I feel like someone can tell [ haha silly me] Guess patience is something I need to learn it is only 2 weeks.. Today I went food shopping,highchair shopping[for grandson] cut my front and back grass, weed wacked and swept the driveway and the curb... I am tired now...
Just curious how long the numbness usually lasts? One side of my face is worse then the other , It is bettter than it was last week but creepy feeling.. I told my husband it feels like I am touching a dead body when I touch it.. My ear lobe is UGH.... not complaining just asking those who have been here before.. Is there anything to do to speed it up
It is almost 4 months for me and the sides of my face is numb but when I touch it, feels like sensitive and tingly . So things are improving but no pain at all. The left side of my head is fine but the right side very numb. So who knows. It can take 6-12 months . As long as there is no pain I am ok. Nothing drooping or weird or tight.
Glad all is going well. I will be two months post op on July 1. I had trouble posting pics as I didn't realize they can only be done from a regular computer, not phone or iPad. But once you figure out is easy. Just added the latest. I still have numbness and a little swelling on sides of face below ears. I'm very happy with results so far. Ifnyou do take pain meds be sure to take with food. Good luck and will be waiting for pics
Can't wait to hear from you after you are done with surgery and feel like coming on line. I bet you are really excited. I will send prayers.

As for the photos. You save them to your computer and then you follow the prompts on real self. They are very easy to upload.
Ok tomorrow is IT!!!!!!!! I cant wait to wake up and find I survived it... Then to get past the first few days without throwing up.... If I can do that and no infections I will be a happy woman... How do I post pictures? I took before and boy is my neck GROSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you for all the support this site has given me I have surgery at 9 he said 4 hours or so the recovery.... a NEW me is on the way....
Hi Chasesmommy
Wondering how you are doing. Just came upon this thread. I had the big jowls and turkey neck with mudflaps eyelids. Is that enough! Had my facelift 3 months ago in Cancun Mexico for 1/4 the cost in canada.
For the first week you dont want to look in a mirror. I only had drains for 24hours and didnt bleed much. Day after surgery my face was swollen. Took a lot of arnica tablets and gel for the bruising. It really helped. Plus antiflammitory by the Dr for 10 days.
Remember this is surgery but it sure gets better. I used Derma blend makeup for coverage and 10days had my staples out. Rest rest and do what the Dr tells you.
I slept in the lazy boy elevated for 1 week.
I got very nauseous from from anethestic so didnt eat for 3 days. No infections and I healed quickly. Keep us posted . Take care
Well Here I am.. I had it done friday.. went back yesterday he was going to take the drains out but said I was bleeding too much so I go back tomorrow to hopefully get them out.. I look like pluto.... I am running a temp but he said that is normal and take tyelnol along with antibiotics.... I didtnt take any pain meds today yet I think they are giving me an upset stomach... Besides MAJOR post nasel drip is making me gag gag gag.. All in all I think I am doing well.. I am bored to death.... I have to figure out how to load photos next week..... I cant wait to take a shower he said tues with baby shampoo as the stitches will be in until next friday... I almost chickened out the momen they put me on the table... I was so scared but the nurse said move over I will take your place you already paid.. so I laughed and said go ahead... I have been doing a lot of icing so the swelling has went down a lot already.....Does it hurt when the drains come out? they are huge for goodness sake... I have never done anything like this before so I have no clue what to expect.. He is a very GENTLE man... If you live in the mercer co area of NJ he is the one to use Dr Lala Keep the prayers coming thanks
Glad to hear you are doing well. It is sooooo boring at first. It did not hurt me when the drains came out. The only thing that hurt was when they removed the stitches out of my top eyelids. Everything else was pretty easy. Looking forward to your pics. I bet you will look smashing.
How far into your head are the drains They are sooo weird and so heavy... Other than the first day I cant complain yet.... I will try to figure out how to upload photos any suggestions for me
uploading is easy. Just go into your profile and add photos. You can add lots.
You deserve a confidence boost, MGM......because you seriously look beautiful!!! You easily look 20 years younger and I truly mean that!!
Hope you have a wonderful day gorgeous lady!! =)
OMGosh....You look AH-maaaazing!!! I just turned 50 and I'm not quite ready for a full face lift....but I have no problem doing it when the time comes and I know it's coming!! =) I hope I look half as good as you MGM.....I can't believe you are 65.....you look younger than me!!
Thanks for sharing your story and your pictures!! =)
Thank you so much for the confidence boost, brwneyedblnde. You really made my day!!!
Well God didnt give us the Spirit of Fear, but of Love, Power and a sound Mind . 2TIM1:7,so you are in our prayers, we bind the enemy from his plans for you in Jesus Name. I am still recovering after 5 weeks, with a few issues gone wrong, but im praying all will settle down. I threw up from the anestetic, but the hopsital gives you anti nausea meds, so dont worry. I pray supernatural fast recovery with no problems. Amen
Amen!!!
Thank you so much.. I will update on the weekend.. I had my grandaughter paint my toe nails today I got a perm on friday and will color my hair wed .. I want to do my fingernails but someone told me I cant have nail polish on during surgery is this true?/
That is correct. No nail polish. They need to be able to see the color of your nail beds to monitor your oxygen. It they turn blue you are not getting enough oxygen. They need to remain pink.
HI yes that is correct, do NOT wear nail polish. The nurses got upset with me just wearing clear nail polish..so NO polish :)
geez I just put clear on becuase of that.. Oh well... Keep praying no throwing up and no infections.... GOD is able ...Is everyone happy they did it? Does it involve a lot oa bad pain ?? I am going for pre admitting in an hour.. Getting nervous
Got here too late to wish you well. When you are up to it, let us know.
oh, i just read your surgery is Friday. What kind of facelift are you having? That will determine your recovery process. Deep plane will take longer to recover from and may be a little more painful. I had very little pain on the first day. Then almost non. You will probably get antibiotics and nausea meds.
Not a clue what it is called he just said he would cut along the front and back of my ears and a little cut under my chin. It takes about 4 hrs two drains put in for 4 days stitches in for 2 weeks I didnt know there was different kinds.. lol dummy me.. He has an AWESOME reputation here so that is good, He said it is not dangerous and mostly discomfort