Worst Eye Job Ever - Chicago, IL

Do not be fooled by Dr. Cohen's advertising. He...

Do not be fooled by Dr. Cohen's advertising. He is an opthomologist, not a board certified cosmetic surgeon. My lids had drooped to the point they were impairing my field of vision, a situation where the surgery would have been covered by my medical insurance. Dr. Cohen claimed to be an expert in the procedure required to lift my lids. The results of the surgery performed on me would belie that fact. Not only did he not conceal the scar from the lift in the upper crease of my eye, placing it instead across the middle of the lid, but he dropped the inner and outer corners giving the eyes a peaked and cross eyed look. It's been a year and a not a day has passed that I look in the mirror and hate what I see. I am going to consult a board certified plastic surgeon, which Dr. Cohen is not, to repair the poor quality of work he has left upon my appearance, and unfortunately this time I will have to pay for it out of my own pocket. Horrible Horrible experience.
Skokie Oculoplastic Surgeon

Horrible Horrible Horrible!!!! He is not a board certified cosmetic surgeon. Beware.

wow!!! My upper eyelids are messed up from Dr. Wafik Hanna from Hinsdale Illinois he is a Facial Plastic Surgeon and has been for 49 years, hell he should have been able to do my lids blindfolded with that much experience. He did not go over with me how he was going to do my upper lids and i didn't ask thinking that he knows what to do. Well was i wrong, he made 1 eye incision between the lashes and the crease and the other eye on the crease.After surgery they were swollen but had looked somewhat even i also took my owm pictures of my lids after surgery while they were shut because i thought my eyelids were sutured very strangely. Instead of a straight line suture there were little raised balls of skin in the suture line, as time went on i was scarred on both lids and they were uneven. I forgot to mention i also have 2 horizontal scars right above the outer corners of my eyes,I asked him post-op why those scars were there and would they go away and he told me to give it time. so time i gave it a whole year... my scars are terrible and lids uneven. Dr. Hanna told me he cut the 1 lid between the crease and the lashes because my eye brows were uneven., so now i have uneven eyebrows and eyelids with bad scars.I did some research and i need to see an ASOPRS Oculofacial plastic surgeon i think i found a great one in Beverly Hills i am going for a consultation. And also Dr. Hanna has books of before and afters but you never cut an eyelid between the lash and the crease because an eyebrow is not even, you make the lids even and fix the eyebrow.
I have terrible results from Dr. Hanna too. Wish I would have read reviews before. My scars are horrific!

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Doctors never show you all their work. They only show their best work. All their nightmare jobs are hidden until the general public have internet access and websites that allow us to post our plastic surgery nightmare stories to warn others not to be so trusting.
I had an upper and lower bleph with a direct brow lift that I was talked into 4 months ago. I have scars above my eyebrows, scars from the upper bleph incisions out to the end of my eyebrows, and a big dent at the lower corner of my left eye. I was referred by 2 friends. Those friendships are over. I am so depressed. My husband is furious at me for not doing more research when picking a surgeon. I am a surgical nurse too, which makes it really embarrassing. Worst mistake of my life. I can't afford to go to LA. I cleaned out my 401k to pay for my surgery. I have to find someone local and hope it is not as expensive. I know many plastic surgeons in the area, I just want to make sure they have done a ton of revisions. I don't want to make it worse. So sorry to hear that I am not the only one. I don't know how he lives with himself.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Dr. Cohen, It is my feeling that if you can't get it right the first time I'd be a fool to give you another chance at it. The results achieved weren't even close to acceptable. The left eye still appears closed compared to the right and the scars across the lids instead of in the upper crease are disconcerting. There is nothing I can think of you can do to correct this without my having to undergo further surgery which requires a hospital operating room as you do not have one on site. By the way, when I asked you why you put the incision where you did your reply was the other way would be cosmetic surgery. You never once discussed with me what the procedure would entail and where the incision would be made. If you had I would never have agreed to you performing the procedure on me. I will have it corrected, when I have the money, by a board certified plastic surgeon. I shudder to think what a brow lift done by you would come out like. How many people have you performed this surgery on who have been happy with the results I wonder.
Dr. Cohen puts incisions where they don't belong. I had a "scar revision" done by Dr. Cohen on both sides of my head where I had temporal brow lift scars but did not want a brow lift. I did not have eyelid surgery done by him, which is the one good decision I made. His "technique" was supposed to grow hair through these scars and instead had used railroad track like suturing after he said he would be using a running stitch during the consult. This left me with more hair loss. He told me he would not be making any new incisions and would excise most or all the scarring. Instead, I have a brand new incision where I never had a scar on the left side of my head which resulted in an elevated brow about 3-4 mm. I still have the same scar on my left side, he didn't even excise it, not even a part of it. He just made a new one right next to it. Now I have one elevated brow on one side and have to grow the eyebrow hairs in that I used to have to tweeze. I have to now tweeze above the tail of my brow to make both sides even. He told me before surgery if my brow was to be elevated it would be elevated 1/2 mm. and would be temporary. You can see in my before pic my brows are even. When I asked him why he made this incision he said he didn't know he was going to do that until he went in and started cutting. He advised me not to clean the incisions or put ointment on them. I questioned that and he said "because I don't want the incisions to open". Isnt that what the sutures are for? You should see what leaving scabs on for 6 weeks does to a wound. They look horrible. I went to several follow up appts and stopped. Went to another surgeon for a second opinion 6 wks post-op who told me to use hydrogen peroxide and ointment to get the scabs off. I will wait 4 months and see how this looks and decide where to go from here. He also said he used to think he was a sociopath while he was operating on me. I don't know if it was meant to be a joke, but I didn't think it was funny. Thought it was creepy. I shudder when I think about it.

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Really? Because the majority of the comments here would prove otherwise. A gifted surgeon is someone with an artistic eye for what the results of his cutting will create. Doctor Cohen lacks that talent.

Sounds like Doctor Cohen is responding not another patient. Gifted is not the word i would use to describe his surgical skills. A gifted surgeon achieves satisfactory results. Doesn't seem the case here for several others besides myself.

Sounds like Dr. Cohen is shameless.
According to him, he "used to think [he] was a sociopath" while operating on me. I think that is scary and he shouldn't go near people. He definitely gives follow up care, following up on his bad work. I have taken my own before and after pictures, and have been taking pictures as this heals. I will take it to a specialist who can tell me what he really did. I also saw another PS who advised me to clean my incisions with peroxide and that the scabs needed to come off. Dr Cohen wanted the scabs to fall off on their own. That caused poor healing. He should have told me he could not make the scars better, and that I needed hair grafting, not scar revision. He doesnt do hair grafting so why would he be ethical and recommend it when he chose to make money off of something he had no experience doing? UNETHICAL. He was supposed to do a trichophytic closure. He left me with more hair loss and bad scars (worse than before). I also have shooting pains and stinging on my head that I never had before, & experienced emotional pain and suffering, and an elevated left brow. I have documentation of his lies and contradictions. He has communicated all these inconsistencies. He tried to make me sound like I was being "obsessive". I wasn't obsessive, I was freaking out because he screwed up and I have to live with it. But since he self-disclosed he was an obsessive person and then tried to play therapist on me for getting upset and questioning what he did he turned it around on me and told me to be patient. Ill post my experience all over the place. I don't want anyone else to get butchered!
Just be awared there is more than unethical doctor than ethical ones. They just want to make money rather they have any talent in doing plastic/comestic surgery procedures. None of the facial plastic surgeons I went to can tell me why Dr. W. of Newport beach , CA did what he done to my eyes & forehead. I went for eyelid surgery and I am scar for life. He gathered up my forehead (the part that is just right above my brows and why would I want that look and the " 11's" when I was so young. I think most of us that is writing comment and reviews is to expose horrible unethical doctors We all are trying to save others from this lifetime nightmare that we live each day of our lives.
This is Dr. Cohen. While every doctor has patients who have negative experiences it is not my reputation nor my practice to leave any patient dissatisfied. I would ask any patient with a negative outcome to return and discuss options to help them achieve the look they desired. I would also like to address the accusation that I have misrepresented myself, and in no way or on any occasion or with any publication have I ever represented myself as a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. I am a Board Certified Ophthalmologist with three fellowships, two of which are in Eyelid and Facial Plastic Surgery. I do only Eyelid and Facial Plastic Surgery and do no body work at all. I am the new Medical Director at Life Time Fitness which is why you have seen my name, however onsite are aestheticians providing facials, chemical peels, and lasers. I would again like to stress that patients who do not keep their post operative appointments are very difficult to follow and manage. Having no access to see the post operative outcome makes it very difficult to address any concerns. I welcome all patients to the practice. As always, consultations are complimentary and I am happy to spend time addressing your concerns individually.
he advertises in lifetime fitness know
Have never seen good eye lifts done by optho's. Stay away from them. They are not masters at this. They do these for extra money & many have been trained over a weekend.
A lot of the comments say to go to an ASOPRS certified opthalmologist. Even my sister in law who is a nurse recommended it. But after I had no results from an ASOPRS opthalmologist, I decided to go to a facial plastic surgeon with lots of before ad afters.
thanks a lot, i was about to see him.Do you know any good names? What about dr. David Trseley,his office is in northbrook.