Breast Reconstruction After 5yrs. of Having 26yr Old Implants Removed - Chicago, IL

I am a 55+ yr old woman who has been breast-less...

I am a 55+ yr old woman who has been breast-less for the last 5yrs. After having silicone implants for 26yrs I had them removed 5yrs ago when they began disintegrating in my body. In 1983 I was told they lasted forever so I accepted the changes over the years as they turned into hard balls on my chest. Being flatter than a pancake before, these additions were small but gave my body proportion. When they became a health hazard knowing they had ruptured, I had them removed a difficult surgery due to their leakage. I chose not to have them replaced, afraid of health complications. I was back to being flat again and wore breast forms for mastectomy patients when clothed.

After much research and learning of new options offered, I was reconsidering breast implants for reconstruction.

What kind of implants did you get this time? They have the new & improved silicone ones and everyone seems to recommend them. I am scared to death of them. I am having my implants put in on the 16th of this month. I am going with saline but my doctor keeps recommending the silicone. Just don't feel like they are for me.

Thank you for sharing your story on RealSelf. Many women will appreciate learning from your journey. I'm sorry to hear about your initial implants and then the following 5 long years but I think I would have made the same choices you did. How has your recovery been so far? Hope you are doing well!

Chicago Plastic Surgeon

A close friend recommended Dr. Wiener as a skilled surgeon, well known for his expertise and amazing results. I liked Dr. Wiener immediately. He is a true professional, answering all my questions, explaining in detail my options and possible complications, all in an unhurried manner. His bedside manner is outstanding. He is personable, respectful, caring and approachable. I had the surgery less than 2 weeks ago and I could not have had a better experience. A great staff of caregivers- Karolyn Meyer is wonderful and adds warmth to her skills and years of experience working alongside Dr. Wiener. Ewa Gomez and Priscilla Flores also complement the office with personality, efficiency and professionalism. I have never written a review for a physician but felt Dr. Wiener and his staff are deserving of praise and recognition. I am very pleased with my results and I highly recommend Dr. Wiener to anyone considering reconstructive and/or cosmetic surgery! Thank you all for your care and compassion.