Looking Forward to a Lighter Future! - Chicago, IL

I have had my saline implants for 20 years. Other...

I have had my saline implants for 20 years. Other than a bit of hardening on one side, I haven't had any problems "specifically" related to them. I got them at a time in my life where they gave me some extra self confidence. I am tall and thin, and wanted a bustier look. Well, now I am over them, and tired of carrying around the extra weight! They don't tell you that normal bras don't fit you well because your implants weigh them down. Finding a good bra that was attractive always eluded me. I am now in my mid-40s and feel top heavy. After finding this forum, I realized I wasn't the only one out there!!

I found a surgeon from a physician's referral, and I am VERY comfortable with her. I am having a simple removal with a local anesthesia in October. I can hardly wait! I can't wait to wear simple bras again!

One more detail - I developed fibromyalgia in the years after my implants. Although it is managed with medication, I have always hoped that removing these things would help improve my condition. I would dearly like to get off all medication.

I don't regret getting implants. They served their purpose. It is now time to be rid of them! I have a wonderfully supportive husband who is a "leg man" anyway!

Here are my before pictures. Can't wait to post after pictures!!

Had Pre-Op Appt Today!

Today I had my pre-op appointment! Surgery is one month from today! The doctor was very patient and explained to me what to expect. She gave me all of the prescriptions that I would need to have filled prior to the surgery. She showed me where my incisions would be - just above the inframammary fold. I am having local anesthesia, so I will be awake during the procedure. She also said I would be wrapped in a bandage when I leave the hospital, and should keep myself wrapped for the first week. I can unwrap to shower, but rewrap after. After 1 week, I can wear a bra. She indicated that I didn't need a tight compression bra - the Genie bra I had on today (a smaller size) would be just fine. I see her the day after my procedure, so any questions that I have afterward, I can ask her then! I am very excited. No nerves. Hope the next month just flies by! Can't wait to post my new pictures. Thanks for all of your support!

4 more days!

Can't believe my day is coming up so quickly! Very excited to get my implants out. I am already looking at all the clothes in my closet that will fit me so much better! I'll keep you posted!

Implants Out!!!

Well, it was quite a day!!! I didn't have surgery until 2pm, so I was thankful to be able to eat breakfast. Since I wasn't having anesthesia (just a local), that wasn't a problem. We were 15 minutes late getting to the hospital - stressed me OUT. But once we got there I could relax.
The surgery nurses got me all ready. The doctor came in with a big smile on her face, and her wonderfully calm demeanor. She gave my hands a squeeze and made me feel so wonderful and taken care of. She asked the nurses to give me saline IV, and an antibiotic through the IV. I asked her about numbing cream, and they didn't have anything that would be strong enough. She said I shouldn't need it as the needle would be very small. Then she said see you in the OR!!

The surgical nurse came and wheeled me into the Operating Room. It was cold in there :). The doctor was there with her 3 nurses and they got me all set up so that I was SUPER comfortable. They put a drape in front of me so I couldn't see anything (probably not wanting me to freak out). One of the nurses stayed right at my side the whole time. The worst part was washing me with a COLD antibacterial wash - BRRR. The doctor was right, the needles were a big nothing. If you can get a flu shot, you can get a shot in your breast. After a few minutes, they were ready to go.

Being awake through surgery is definitely surreal. You hear your heart beating on the monitor, and feel things that aren't painful, just strange and uncomfortable. We chatted about our dogs during the surgery, and other topics. Almost a girl's night out, except having surgery...

The one thing that the doctor discovered was that my saline implants were "textured", and so they adhered like "velcro" to my tissue. She literally had to rip the velcro from the tissue, which felt very, very odd. Apparently, had they been smooth, they would have just slipped out. But no problem, they both came out intact. She promised to show them to me when we were done. I had some contraction in my right breast, and she removed some of it, but said oftentimes when you remove scar tissue, the body replaces it. Anyway, that smelled like burning hair...but again, no pain. Then, they flushed the cavity with wonderfully warm water (my favorite part) before they started stitching me up.

When they sat me up to put on the wrap, my doctor said I looked wonderful, very natural. I looked down and saw my stomach! No boobs in the way. She wrapped me in a gauze wrap and an ace bandage. The wrap is pretty tight. She showed me my 300cc implants. Wow! Other than having a bit of fleshy stuff on them, they looked absolutely pristine and BIG! I can't believe I put those things inside my body. I am so grateful that they are out. I go back to the doctor to see her tomorrow at 2pm for my Day 2 follow-up. She said she would take a picture of the implants with her iPhone for me. I will post it if I can.

Once we left the hospital, we detoured to get some lunch/dinner, since it was 3:30 and I was starving. I intended to take a pain pill with my lunch, but didn't have any pain, so didn't take it. I had a chicken salad and ice tea. Tasted wonderful. It is now 4 hours later and I still do not have any pain. So, no pills yet! I just had some jello made by my husband...my mom always made it when I was sick...and am watching baseball.

I feel wonderful! I can tell that I have plenty of tissue left, and it is a blessing to see a flatter chest!! I am so glad that I didn't have anesthesia. I feel that by being present during the explant, it was that much more meaningful, and I have a wonderful bond with my surgeon. Thanks for all your best wishes. I will definitely attach pictures and let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Post-Op and Unveiling on Day 2!

I saw my PS yesterday and she unwrapped me. I was thrilled at what I saw! Tiny little boobs - and they are so soft! I am so excited!! When I turned to show my husband I could see the fear in his eyes ( he is really squeamish) - but he smiled in relief that they looked so nice! I think he expected a bloody bruised mess. He couldn't see the incisions at all.

My PS was also pleased and said to keep myself wrapped tightly for 1 week and then I can wear a sports bra. I go for my next post op in 2 weeks.

I showered this morning (which felt great) and then my husband re-wrapped me. I feel very comfy with this tight wrap. As my PS said, the goal for niw is to prevent bleeding and rest. I definitely am much more comfortable lying down. I have no pain, which is wonderful!

I am so happy with my decision!! Little saggy light boobs are WAY better than big heavy saggy boobs - no more industrial strength bras!!

More photos

Added 2 photos

Darn photos...

Okay, last one for now. Having posting problems - totally iPhone's fault!

One Week Post!

It has been one week since I got my implants out. I am now able to wear a sports bra! I went to Target and tried on tons of bras. I LOVE the one I found (pictured) and only $16.99. I got a black one as well. Extremely comfortable. I am a medium as I am very long waisted.

I see my PS next week for a second post-op.

I feel great and am absolutely thrilled! I wish I had done this years ago!!

8 Weeks Post

Wow - I can't believe that it has only been 8 weeks since my operation! It feels like I have been this way forever! I barely even think about my chest anymore!! I have gone from a 34DD to a 34C, and I expect changes will continue. I went and bought a "normal bra" at Target - I would never have thought I could wear such a "flimsy" bra again! No more titanium steel support required!

I have noticed that my skin is retracting, and my breasts have lifted about an inch since the surgery. I am so glad I didn't go for a lift. Less trauma, less drama.

Unfortunately, my fibromyalgia hasn't disappeared... But, I am certain that having the implants out was the right choice. I am working out, eating healthy, and doing all the things that hopefully will help with my FM. I go to a new rheumatologist next week, and am interested to hear what she says!

Here are a couple of pictures.

Almost 3 months Post

Sorry I haven't been posting much - it has been a busy last month! And really nothing new to report. I am still THRILLED with my explant results. I feel fantastic. I am working with a rheumatologist on my Fibromyalgia issues and I am managing it better on different meds. My breasts keep moving up little by little (no pun intended). I am completely happy with them and am SO thankful for this Forum giving me the courage to explant! Thanks everyone! Happy New Year!
Dr. Iliana SwEi

Dr. Iliana Sweis - Northbrook, Illinois. (A close suburb of Chicago). Absolutely wonderful. Listened to what I wanted and didn't try to sell me on something else. Soothing bedside manner and impressive credentials. I wouldn't change a thing!!

I have had my saline implant for about 12 years and have had on-going neurological problems in both of my arms for years. I was recently diagnosed with an auto-immune complex that I am convinced is the result of my implants and the contractures that have developed. Hopefully your fibromyalgia will improve with time as you are implant free! take care-
Oh! I forgot to ask you. What size where u before the implants. Thanks! ; ))
Hi, You look amazing in your photo's. Just wondering how your fibromyalgia is? Has there been improvement since your explant? I'm having my implants out next month. I'm 53 & have has them for 23 yrs. since getting them I've had terrible migraines. Never put the two together. So, I'm very interested when I take the implants out if the migraines go away.
It looks like they raised higher. Congrats! I am thinking less of mine too. What a relief!
Gorgeous results!! I like that white sports bra. I am just starting my journey to explant. Have a consult with my original PS tomorrow. I hope I like what he says. I hope I get as lucky as you with the skin retraction! I was a natural D cup before adding the water bags so I totally understand what you mean about the industrial strength bras! I can't wait to burn those damn torture devices! My back is always killing me!
Congrats on your decision to explant! It is so liberating!! I hope your consult goes well!
You look amazing..!
You look fab! Loving that sports bra. I will have to get one like it!!
You look great. You mentioned in your review that because the implants were textured, they stuck. Was your dr able to get them out without rupturing them? It will be interesting to see how your general health will be now you have them out. Mine came out too, I'm happy they are gone.
Hi Pink56, the implants came out without rupture. I don't know how she got those huge things out through these little incisions. So far, no change with my fibromyalgia, but I sure feel a lot happier!!!
Sorry to hear you have not felt relief from your fibromyalgia :( Hopefully your symptoms will decrease . Mine have drastically improved.
Wow, that's a relief that they came out in one piece. I hope your fibromyalgia will improve. A friend of mine was helped a lot by "clean" eating , i.e. no sugar, white flour, wheat, coffee or alcohol) and water exercise ( gentle no impact water aerobics)
Hi Pink! Thanks! Yes, I am all over the diet thing...I have lost 25lbs in the last 9 months and am eating whole, non-processed foods only and no bread products. Working on my cardio now and doing yoga. I can't give up the coffee though! Without my cup in the morning I am a bigger wreck!! Keep your fingers crossed. I didn't get like this overnight, so I will be very patient with my progress. :)
Well done! Thats amazing, having lost all that weight and working on your fitness I really admire you for taking your health in your own hands Just a couple of tips; coffee raises cortisol levels so thats not good... Cardio wise: make sure you don't overdo it and go over 80 % of your maximum heart rate (220 minus age). Also would advise you to only do low impact exercise. ( ie elliptical trainer rather than treadmill). Good luck !
Thanks for the cardio tip!! My PT told me to do something different every time I work out. So I do the elliptical, treadmill, stairs, etc...I figure that will keep me from getting bored!!!
You look great!! Congrats :)
You look fantastic and glad to hear your doing so well. I am amazed how many many women are going through this, so many of us made this decision in haste to implant and Im so glad and blessed to be able to have had an explant as Im sure you all are. God Bless you all and enjoy the NATURAL you !!
You look fabulous!
wow you turned out so great, i couldnt even tell you had an explant, you really have nice skin that bounces back right away.
Wow you look wonderful already! I love that you have a supportive "leg man" husband :)
Beautiful result. Good for you!
Congrats! I'm so happy for you =D
Wow...it doesn't even look like you just had surgery. Congrats....I'm glad everything went so well and your outcome is great!
Thanks Fixit! So far so good!
I'm so happy for you! You sound so relieved... just how I hope I feel after the unveiling. I will be following soon!