Levulan Kerastick Blue Light Treatment for AKs from Sun Exposure - Charlotte, NC

I had the PDT treatment on my face yesterday...

I had the PDT treatment on my face yesterday morning for AKs on my face. I am 45 yrs-old and sustained a good bit of sun damage for the first 30 years of my life. I have had three Mohs surgeries on my face since age 40 and I am trying to avoid any more surgeries going forward. I know everyone's experience is different, but I had read some very alarming patient reviews so I wanted to write a positive review to encourage those considering PDT. After all the reviews I'd read, I was extremely anxious going into my dermatologist's office yesterday. The process was just like it was described...my face was cleaned with alcohol, the Kerastick solution was applied, and I waited one hour before sitting in the blue light. I expected the worst, even though the nurse reassured me that I would likely not have a strong reaction. She was very kind and helpful which put me at ease. While under the light, she checked in on me a few times. Even though the burning was mild for me (maybe a 2 on a scale of 1-10), they had a cool fan blowing up into my face which felt great. The lights were not particularly hot and though I can be claustrophobic, I wasn't bothered by the semi-circle of lights because I knew I could back up at any time and be in a wide-open room. I never needed to do this, but the nurse told me I could if things got too intense. When the PDT treatment ended my face was slightly pink in areas but the mild stinging stopped almost immediately. I stayed out of sunlight all day yesterday and I will today as well. I am in my house with the blinds closed. As far as how I felt yesterday, my face was slightly pink and felt somewhat tight/dry and mildly itchy. I kept waiting for it to get worse (as per some of the reviews) - even this morning I was concerned I might wake up with a burning red face, but this was not the case. Today, my face is much the same as yesterday - slightly pink, mildly itchy and tight/dry feeling. I am confident that my recovery will continue this way with some peeling and flaking to come. I am supposed to go back in a month for my second treatment and I now know not to work myself up over this treatment. I know everyone is different, but I hope this will encourage those of you who are considering PDT.
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.  We definitely want to hear back from you on how the second round goes.

Dermatology Specialists of Charlotte

All staff were extremely helpful at answering my many questions pre-procedure and were comforting, kind and reassuring on the day of my treatment.