Nervous What I May Wake Up to After my 1st IPL Today - Centennial, CO

It went ok. A few weeks ago the technician there...

It went ok. A few weeks ago the technician there put on 3 layers of chemical peel instead of the ONE that I was supposed to have gotten and as a result, I was housebound for days with redness/dryness/surface sores. It healed ok but I DID raise a bit of hell about being treated improperly and needless to say - and as I made very clear to the woman doing my IPL -- I was very very nervous and hesitant about letting anyone there touch my face again. But I went ahead and had it done. It wasn't bad at all.

I have light skin with some sun damage, I'm 43 years old. Pain was minimal and very tolerable - felt like a small rubber band snap. The light was horrible though - thats what really bothered me, and the closer they got to my eyes, the worse it was. But still - tolerable.

Afterward, I wasn't very red at all. As of tonight I notice a few very small "coffee grounds" near my temple, and the sun damage on the right side of my face might be a bit darker. These pictures were taken with my iphone and on them I can see redness in the shape of the IPL device - but didn't notice them in the mirror. I have a scar on my right cheek from a sunspot that the dermatologist burned off with liquid nitrogen and it looks worse than it did before - and there is some darkness around the edge. I was told the darkness could lighten up - but the white scar wont change much. No real difference yet.

I was told that if my face felt hot to apply cold - a bag of snow or some peas. That wasn't necessary. No pain right now - just my cheek bone area beneath my eyes feels ever so slightly irritated. After seeing the horrible stories here I am scared to death what may happen next, and probably wont get any more of these although I was told 3 would be necessary. It's just not worth it to me and if it didn't start out with a Groupon for microdermabrasion and a chemical peel - I probably wouldn't even be doing this.

Important to add: This was not done by a medical doctor. It was in a spa, done by the manager who is an aesthetician.

8 days later. Not a huge difference - maybe a bit...

8 days later. Not a huge difference - maybe a bit more even toned. Nothing that's worth $250 IMHO. I won't get any more treatments. Fortunately I had no bad effects, so I'll stop now.

The woman who did this is the manager and after my bad experience with a technician there, she will be taking care of me. She was friendly enough but appeared a bit irritated and was trying to hide it. She answered all my questions, told me everything I may experience in the next few days and told me what to do. I was given a skin care kit last visit and was told to use those products, and definitely wear sunscreen, and stay out of the sun. She honestly seemed concerned and told me to call and speak to her if there were any questions or problems.

Most patients won't see much change after one fotofacial/IPL. You have to have several treatments performed in a row to really notice the difference. The technology of IPL has been around for a while and is a workhorse in any cosmetic skin practice, or facial surgery practice. I would give it some time to see a difference. Also you had a chemical peel first which probably took alot of your layered skin damage off prior to the IPL. It doesn't leave the IPL much to work with.
Your left cheek looks significantly better (less redness)! I don't know if it's the way the picture was taken but looks good.
Thanks for the comment! The redness was from the procedure, and yes that redness went away. But the end result is only a little better than how it was before the procedure.
The next day - everything was fine. Now more than a week later, maybe my face looks a bit smoother and more even toned. Very subtle difference. The 'coffee grounds', brown spots that come to the surface and slough off - well I had a minuscule amount, certainly not noticeable to anyone but me and I have to use a magnifying mirror to see them. They haven't fallen off yet... They're not noticeable though. The sun damage spots that I was concerned about - no real difference at all. I don't think I'll continue with any further treatments - it's more money than I want to spend and I guess I'm just too scared. I don't really want to mess with my face. So all in all - meh.

Well, I am glad you didn't have any bad reactions but bummer you didn't see the results you were hoping for.  If later you decide to try any other treatments we love to hear your opinions on those as well.

Thanks for adding pictures - it is so helpful to be able to see what people are describing.

Also, I appreciate that you made sure to point out that this was done by an aesthetician you found via a Groupon deal.

How are things feeling today?